just bought an mr2, will it survive a track day?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

takman

just bought an mr2, will it survive a track day?

Post by takman »

Just bought a 1994 mr2 rev3 3S-GE N/A etc recently. It has 136k on the clock...for 400 quid. :mrgreen:

ive had it on the ramp, had a look over everything, seems fine. Runs well, engine and brake oil is clear. looks like its been looked after, just the exterior is a bit beat up.

guy i bought it from didnt know the service history on it, besides having oil changed etc....so its possible timing belt has never been done.

I was thinking replace oil, air, plugs and fuel...and take it to the track.....

but now im wondering if i should at least do the timing belt....the thing is that if i do that, then i will want to freshen up everything else. I plan on doing a lot of work to it later....

the car has not MOT or insurance...i havent even driven it on the street yet, and i probably wont as it will be strictly a track car....

my plan was to trailer it to the track. a bit risky for a car i have never really driven yet, i know. but i am itching to drive it.
Hez

Re: just bought an mr2, will it survive a track day?

Post by Hez »

Well for 400 quid why spend money on it, id just run it into ground trackday or otherwise.
The belt will have been done at some point its highly unlikely it would last that long as the service interval is 5 years or 50-60k i think.
takman

Post by takman »

Hez wrote:Well for 400 quid why spend money on it, id just run it into ground trackday or otherwise.
The belt will have been done at some point its highly unlikely it would last that long as the service interval is 5 years or 50-60k i think.

this is what i want to hear. 8)
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Take it out and give it a good seeing to :)
Hez

Post by Hez »

Take it out and give it a good seeing to [Smile]

Oh yeah! Then go drive it after?
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

I paid £200 for my rev3 turbo I done all the basics oil and filter plugs and most importantly brake fluid and it was fine did make tha pattern part pads catch fire but they didnt fade so all was well :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

takman wrote:but now im wondering if i should at least do the timing belt....the thing is that if i do that, then i will want to freshen up everything else. I plan on doing a lot of work to it later....

The 3SGE is non-interference so if the timing belt did go it shouldn't be too messy.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
takman

Post by takman »

dan mkii wrote:I paid £200 for my rev3 turbo I done all the basics oil and filter plugs and most importantly brake fluid and it was fine did make tha pattern part pads catch fire but they didnt fade so all was well :thumleft:

how did you manage to get a turbo for 200 quid?
takman

Post by takman »

Nic wrote:
takman wrote:but now im wondering if i should at least do the timing belt....the thing is that if i do that, then i will want to freshen up everything else. I plan on doing a lot of work to it later....

The 3SGE is non-interference so if the timing belt did go it shouldn't be too messy.

yea...i was more worried about it making me waste money on a track day. :mrgreen:
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

If the cooling system is fine with no issues you will do well to blow up a rev3 na engine. They lap up abuse on track.
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

takman wrote:
dan mkii wrote:I paid £200 for my rev3 turbo I done all the basics oil and filter plugs and most importantly brake fluid and it was fine did make tha pattern part pads catch fire but they didnt fade so all was well :thumleft:

was working at toyota and some old japenes guy traded it in for a prius lol!

I got it for what it owed them which was £200!!

I know bargain of the century! ! :thumleft:
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

takman wrote:

was working at toyota and some old japenes guy traded it in for a prius lol!

I got it for what it owed them which was £200!!

I know bargain of the century! ! :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Brilliant, i got my old rev2 tubby for £400, had 6months tax, 1year mot, 4new tyres, new sony cd player, new toad alarm, rebuilt gearbox (receipt for £1800) and a few other bits and bobs..
I ran that into the ground, by the time the 6months tax were up the clutch was gone and quite a few other things aswell needed done so i just sold it for £700 :lol:
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Funnily enough mine haf gearbox rebuild also plus a whole list of paper work and almost a years mot!

Spent much more than 200 on it now thoe lol.

I only brought it to sell on but she ended up staying with me. :eye:
mr2mk2

Post by mr2mk2 »

Brakes are the biggest thing on a trackday followed by good tyres. New fluid and good pads (yellow stuff are the lowest price decent pad) and discs. Engines and drivetrain can easily take it. Make sure cooling system is in good shape and bled.

This is us.

£600 rev 1 turbo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjedt4Ywr68
Slow!!

£530 rev 2 n/a
www.youtube.com/watch?v=La1fywFyfMA
Fast!!
matgd

Post by matgd »

I bought mine for a grand totally standard, just changed discs, used yellowstuff pads and hel braided lines then gave it a service. Threw it round track all year and not a problem other than an alternator as it was sat in the rain between trackdays!

Using good quality tyres made a massive difference too, had ditch finders the first few days and car was very twitchy especially in wet.

I'm very impressed at how my 18 year old engine has handled the abuse I've given it so far :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”