Tein or apex lowering springs?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fred130111

Tein or apex lowering springs?

Post by fred130111 »

Bit confused as I've been looking at lowering springs and the tein ones are more appealing from what I've read but can anyone explain why the rear is lowered more than the front, I would of thought it should be the front that's lower? They say 37 front and 38 rear :s

Cheers, fred
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Tein or apex lowering springs?

Post by Peter Gidden »

Firstly, there is no comparison whatsoever in ride between the two springs.

Teins are hard - track day hard. I've removed more sets for customers than fitted.

Apex, (used by Koni in their SSKs), are mildly uprated, circa 20%, and dropped by around 30mm. Very nice ride - firm but not harsh.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

I've not used Teins but l can tell you the 30mm apex springs give a nice ride. Changing from 15" to 16" wheels had more of a negative impact on my ride quality than the springs did.
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Wouldnt bother with apex springs fitted them to my rev3 blisteins and they were higher than the standard springs.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

As Peter said, Teins are hard.

I fitted a set to mine but removed them as they were way too stiff for a daily drive (in my opinion).
Don't know why the rear is lower than the front but it's only 1mm so not exactly something you are going to notice.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

If you want to rattle anything that moves, fillings in your tooth, stomach contents etc and transmit all the road imperfections to your chassis, teins will do that and more!

Part of old age is realising that my Tein coilovers seem to shake, rattle and roll more of my middle aged spread lol

When they're knackered I'll be buying Meister's instead

On the other hand I have apex springs fitted to Jimgts old rev5, and that rude is firm but so much more driver orientated, it gives enough feel of the road when driving but is no slouch either!

Apex springs are right IMO

HTH :thumleft:
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

dan mkii wrote:Wouldnt bother with apex springs fitted them to my rev3 blisteins and they were higher than the standard springs.

Your original springs must have serverly sagged or they wasn't standard springs.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Cheers for the advise guys, I am use to Hondas with stupidly hard suspension setups so the stiffness isn't really what bothers me but by the sounds of it the apex ones are preferred plus cheaper :) still can't understand why tein would make the rear lower even if is by 1mm, surely it would mess the balance / handling up
Nic

Post by Nic »

Mine came with Tein springs fitted, they lowered the car so much that it'd bottom out on the bump stops, this made for a very uncomfortable crashy ride on anything other than a smooth perfect road surface.

I've since fitted a set of Eibach Pro springs and new black Bilstein dampers, the ride quality and handling are now perfect for me.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
craig

Post by craig »

I run Apex springs. Recommended.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Has anyone got any pics of the different setups? Only reason I ask is I have got 17s atm with 215/40 front and 225/40 rear and I measured it up and I reckon it'd catch the arch
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Adam86 wrote:
dan mkii wrote:Wouldnt bother with apex springs fitted them to my rev3 blisteins and they were higher than the standard springs.

Your original springs must have serverly sagged or they wasn't standard springs.

there were the originals for some reason they was just no lower than before. Must have sagged alot.
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Adam86 wrote:

there were the originals for some reason they was just no lower than before. Must have sagged alot.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

You can live with Teins on a daily driver... I have for the last 5/6 yrs or so, coupled with yellow billies and TRD top mounts.
That said it's also true I had to have a hip replaced last year...
It is a very harsh ride around town but at speed the ride becomes much better... and body control and ride height feel and look superb. It really does just depend on personal preference but the consensus is for a daily driver driven mostly around town they're too hard. Different drives however may make them worth consideration.

R

PS One last thing... the Teins work best with stiffer struts than standard... Blacks or Yellows ideally.
glen n

Post by glen n »

I've got tein springs with yellow billies and the ride is pretty hard,my car isn't used every day so it doesn't bother me. The car does sit pretty low though,a lot lower than when I had the eibach springs. This is my rear arch,albeit with 255 wide tyres.

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Craig's car. Apex springs and 18s.

Rides well and sits well.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I should add I'm still on 15s...
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Craig's car. Apex springs and 18s.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... 868a01.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... 88866f.jpg

Rides well and sits well.

:cry:
synXero

Post by synXero »

I had Apex springs on standard rev5 shocks. I found the city ride absolutely perfect, the visuals perfect too on 16s and on 17s (primarily). However at speed on a B-road they did get a little wallowy so I'd suggest a bit more suspension work if you were taking it seriously :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

synXero wrote:I had Apex springs on standard rev5 shocks. I found the city ride absolutely perfect, the visuals perfect too on 16s and on 17s (primarily). However at speed on a B-road they did get a little wallowy so I'd suggest a bit more suspension work if you were taking it seriously :thumleft:

+1 ive got 16s with apex, look and drive great although a tiny bit boaty on back roads but id say that was more to do with my old shocks and bushes. Ill probably be polybushing and getting bilstein b6 shocks and some uprated arbs in next few months to stiffen it up.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”