[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev1 turbo swap for a rev3 turbo

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2turbojosh

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev1 turbo swap for a rev3 turbo

Post by mr2turbojosh »

Hi guys and gals!

Need some advice!
I'm about to undertake an engine rebuild and fit a new clutch on my mr2. It's a j reg rev1 (only just as was registered in December 1991).

I'm wondering if the only difference in power figures between the rev1 (220bhp) and rev3(240bhp) is the difference between the turbos they use??

If this is the case, then I was thinking that while the head is off, I fit a rev3 (metal) head gasket and bolt on a rev3 turbo. Is this possible?? And or is there any other things I'd need to do to make it fit?? Iv heard things like studs not fitting etc...

If this works, will i see the 240bhp power figure on my rev1?

Also as I'm doing the clutch, what the cheapest but best option for a clutch? Do I stick with a standard clutch or do I go for an exedy item??

Basically I have a £1000 to spend on the engine, and I'm going to fit new valves, oils seals etc, piston rings oil rings, crank bearing shells, cam belt head gasket, turbo seals (or buy a rev3 item) all in the name of maximising the engines power and reliability. Keeping in mind of upping the power eventually to around 300bhp! But wanting to have a reliable engine to start with!!

Any decent venders for the bits etc??

So and ideas on the turbos and are they interchangeable? And would it be worth doing? And any advice would be greatly received !! Thanks!! :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev1 turbo swap for a rev3 turbo

Post by Ryan S »

combination of different fuel setup and a different turbo, different head as well. as well as a whole list of other small differences. :thumleft:
mr2turbojosh

Post by mr2turbojosh »

Oh really??? So to make it work I'd need a rev3 head, injectors and pump? And I guess a remap? (Which would mean I'd need a new ecu as rev1s aren't mappable right?)

So not so straight forward as to fitting a rev3 gasket and turbo!??
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

He's answering your question regarding the differences, there is a huge list of differences between the engines! It is superior in many ways.

But yes you can fit a turbo from a rev3+ to a rev1/2 with no hassles.

It won't all of a sudden make 241 though if everything is stock. 241 hp is because rev3s run more boost as standard.
You will still be limited to what the rev1/2 boost setup gives which is 10/11psi, not the 13psi as stock on a rev3+. They have the same actuator opening pressure but different tvsv's (Oem boost control), hense more boost.

Yes many fit rev3+ head gaskets, it is metal which is gain better than the rev1/2 ones. I would find as many threads as you can regarding this to see where and why they had potential fitting issues. I was under the assumption it's a straight swap. So you can still obviously use your rev1 head.

With bolt on mods and a boost controller, no reason why you can't be around the 280-300 area at high boost.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Rev 1/2 uses a air flow meter but the rev 3 does away with this . Obviously AFM is old hat now so upgrading the fuelling to Rev 3 is better. This means a lot of new things including fuel rail,injectors and ecu as well as sensors etc.
I was quoted about £600 for the conversion fitted.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Is better but not need at these power levels unless you want to run a fancy ecu.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Stupid point but with a rev1 tubby why not try and get a rear clip for the 1000 instead ??? Convert while lot to rev3 its what I'm doing with my empty bay.
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.

Return to “Modifications”