mr2 beams?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adam1991

mr2 beams?

Post by adam1991 »

hello

im in the market for a mr2 turbo just looking around at some recently , I havnt seen any that I like at the moment ..

now, ive heard of this mr2 beams I no there really rare 1000 made I believe , how much do they usually go for and I guess they rarely come up for sale? I done some research on them and I would consider getting one if it came up .

turbos mpg is what I worry about as a daily tbh but when I had my mr2 3sge i could run that daily with ease so im wandering how much difference it costs say running a turbo or a beams or even a v6 ? i just want all the options before i go diving in and buying a tubby

cheers
adam
Marf

Re: mr2 beams?

Post by Marf »

I averaged 24-26mpg out of my Turbo on a 25 mile round trip each day
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I get an easy 30+ mpg out of my turbo as a daily driver.
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

thanks guys , well my driving is mostly dual carridgeways but only 10 miles a day and a little bit of town driving , so surely shouldn't be to bad?

ive cheked everything so far repair costs maintainance costs which im absoulutly fine with its just the daily petrol im worried about.

my old n/a wasn't to bad , i had a fto mivec manual v6 that wasnt great on fuel especially for the performance , so i thought that a turbo would be awful with careful driving but looks like its not to bad after all .

im still looking for a turbo but none have come up as of yet so ill have to be patient
Draven

Post by Draven »

Its all about how you drive it.

you can achieve 30mpg if you're smooth and stay off boost. Having it well maintained makes a big difference. :thumleft:
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I cant compare to an n/a but I find with mine you have to drive very carefully to stay off boost. I have a rev 3 and the ct20 comes in quite early and even using the turbo in small bursts (not even full boost) I find makes a big difference from other times where I have driven like a granny, staying off boost as best I can.

The problem is you have a turbo behind you which sounds orgasmic, its more a question of can you resist using it...
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

cheers draven :) tbh my heart has always been set on a tubby , ive been looking for one for a while still no luck ! id rather get a standard one which will be very hard , im not that interested in making more bhp , i just want a good honest example and keep it that way
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

If your only doing 10 mile journeys you'll need to keep a close eye on the car as it will rarely get chance to fully warm up properly before using boost
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

ok so making sure i let it warm up to tempreture correctly , will it cause damage if it dosent get warmed up properly on a short trip?
Marf

Post by Marf »

A properly maintained Turbo's water temp should be at the operating range within a couple of miles of starting the engine and driving, assuming you don't drive like a total granny.

My Turbo spent every week day being driven 12 miles in the morning, 12 miles in the afternoon and many weekends being thrashed silly. It pulled as strongly at 90,000 miles as it did at 50,000 miles.

Maintained correctly these cars are neither fragile nor prone to breakdowns. The only time mine ever failed me was when the battery died in a cold snap.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Marf wrote:Maintained correctly these cars are neither fragile nor prone to breakdowns.

Bingo.

Craig drove 1800 miles across Europe last year without a single problem. And he'll be doing same again this year.
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

well on average I travel probably 12 miles a day to work , on weekends I drive a lot more.

I do tend to drive slow, however I like the occasional good blast !

I want a rev3 + hopefully I can find a t-bar for the summer :D

so im pretty much fully convinced now on buying a tubby its a matter of finding a good one, as unfortunaty a lot have been treated poorly by people who cant afford to run them ](*,) unfortunately I am very impatient lol

thanks for all the info guys
adam
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

adam1991 wrote:well on average I travel probably 12 miles a day to work , on weekends I drive a lot more.

I do tend to drive slow, however I like the occasional good blast !

I want a rev3 + hopefully I can find a t-bar for the summer :D

so im pretty much fully convinced now on buying a tubby its a matter of finding a good one, as unfortunaty a lot have been treated poorly by people who cant afford to run them ](*,) unfortunately I am very impatient lol

thanks for all the info guys
adam

I was the same, patience is a virtue though and i didnt wait but wish i did. I keep seeing nice examples on carandclassic if you havent looked there yet. Turbo as said by others is fine on mpg so long as your not boosting all the time but its hard to resist, and if you get a tbar it will be even harder to resist lol.

If your after a beams they are very rare, speak to Calum aka Synexro, he had one til recently and will tell you a bit about it :thumleft:
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I would definitely wait until 'the one' for you pops up. If like me you will regret it otherwise. I waited for months until mine popped up and its immaculate, there are definitely good examples still out there :thumleft:
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

well looks like its a waiting game for me :thumleft:

yet again thank you all for your help its much appreciated

cheers
Adam
psummers

Post by psummers »

My usage of my rev 3 turbo was similar to what you will be doing and this was my MPG the whole time I had it:

The higher MPG's were long trips.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Thats a nice graph, what do i need to get something like that?
psummers

Post by psummers »

It's an app called Road Trip.

This was my miles per day so you can see how it matches to the mpg:

FYI - it was a standard rev 3
adam1991

Post by adam1991 »

The higher MPG's were long trips.[/quote]

thanks psummers for that that's really helpful :D

looks like your mpg wasn't bad at all even on short trips.

I no it depends on the driving style but im quite well behaved on the road in general with the odd bit of spirited driving , saying that tho I have never owned a mr2 turbo so I might get an addiction when I buy one :mrgreen:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Sorry i know im jacking your thread a bit dude, but while on the subject..
How is the mileage and mpg input to the app, is it manual or hooked up through some software on the car?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”