What engine oil?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jonny4494

What engine oil?

Post by Jonny4494 »

Hi guys, new to the forum and also new to owning an mr2 turbo!

First thing is what oil would be the best to use in the mr2 turbo rev2? I have heard that Mobil 1 Motorsport is the best but it's now discontinued! :(
Does anyone have another favourite? Price doesn't bother me, just as long as it's good stuff!

Also I have identified an oil stain on the floor after moving it, could this just be due to previous owner not putting a new sump plug washer on after the last oil change/service?

Thanks,
Jonny
samgpr50

Re: What engine oil?

Post by samgpr50 »

I quite like the Silkolene pro race 5w40 think the name has changed to Fuchs now though. Look on Opie oils.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

samgpr50 wrote:I quite like the Silkolene pro race 5w40 think the name has changed to Fuchs now though. Look on Opie oils.

+1
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
Jonny4494

Post by Jonny4494 »

what about motul 300v fully synth? or would the silkolene/fuchs pro race ester synthetic be better? its just i thought i heard that ester synthetic oils break down under high temps. or is that just rubbish info i got of somebody?
Draven

Post by Draven »

WilkieGT wrote:
samgpr50 wrote:I quite like the Silkolene pro race 5w40 think the name has changed to Fuchs now though. Look on Opie oils.

+1

+2

This is what i used.. just bought some now to buy filter and new sump plug. :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Jonny4494 wrote:what about motul 300v fully synth? or would the silkolene/fuchs pro race ester synthetic be better? its just i thought i heard that ester synthetic oils break down under high temps. or is that just rubbish info i got of somebody?

That is complete rubbish. Oil grading goes.

Ester Synthentic
Fully Synthetic
Part Synthetic
Mineral

Ester Synthetic oils are the best.. :thumleft: Provide the best protection for your your engine.

Also whilst i've said I use a 5w40 oil in our climate it isn't really needed a 10w40 is more ideal however it doesn't really do any damage. We don't really have cold enough weather to warrant a 5w really during the summer you're better off having a 10w oil as it maintains its thickness in the initial warm up of the engine.

:thumleft:
Jonny4494

Post by Jonny4494 »

Brilliant! Thanks guys! Looks like I've found my new oil! :) now about my oil leak, could it be due to a non existent sump plug washer? I've not inspected it yet, it's going up on the ramps soon. But just wanna know if that is a possible suspect :)
Jonny4494

Post by Jonny4494 »

Can't seem to find 10w40 pro race? Anyone got any links?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Oil leaks can come from lots of places.. But yes if you're missing a washer then yes very possible. Get yourself a new sump plug and washer. (i do this every single time i change the oil it's only a few pounds and worth it plus you can get a magnetic one which means all the little metal filings get stuck to it.)

As i've said 5w40 is perfectly fine and isn't really going to cause an issue at all just means that if it was to get really cold the oil would provide the same level of protection.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68897-fuchs ... e-oil.aspx

this is what I use.. I've been very happy with it. You can of course get cheaper oil if you change your oil very regularly then can get cheaper stuff. I change mine every 3000 miles or normally every 6 months (i don't do many miles at all so normally every 6 months

:thumleft:
Jonny4494

Post by Jonny4494 »

Cool! So the Fuchs 5w40 ester synthetic oil, OEM oil filter, magnetic sump plug and washer. Hopefully the oil leak is the plug washer
Draven

Post by Draven »

Jonny4494 wrote:Cool! So the Fuchs 5w40 ester synthetic oil, OEM oil filter, magnetic sump plug and washer. Hopefully the oil leak is the plug washer

Yup job done. :wink:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I've got the Fuchs pro race S, hks filter and genuine greddy magnetic sump plug in mine...

I found ordering the oil cheaper from opie oils ebay page.. Only £46 delivered
Jonny4494

Post by Jonny4494 »

is the greddy sump plug alright? or are magnetic sump plugs all the same?
Jonny4494

Post by Jonny4494 »

what size is the thread on the mr2 turbo sump plug? ive found a greddy one saying it fits most toyota & nissans. M12 x P1.25 - will it do?
Hez

Post by Hez »

Draven

Post by Draven »

agreed its just a bolt the one from camskill is what i've got. Works perfectly fine.
cosmos

Oil

Post by cosmos »

Tightning torque on a magnetic alloy? sump plug is worth checking, consider that it has had the middle drilled out for the magnet so is not a solid steel sump plug.
Draven

Re: Oil

Post by Draven »

cosmos wrote:Tightning torque on a magnetic alloy? sump plug is worth checking, consider that it has had the middle drilled out for the magnet so is not a solid steel sump plug.

Hmm that is a thought. I never did mine up to a specific torque there isn't really much pressure on it. I did mine up to what I considered tight. It hasn't leaked or come out.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

My genuine greddy magdrain was £15ish posted from japan. Tightening torque is 30lbs, no leaks.

Pay for the real thing or use the original, cheapo Chinese fakes are no good
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

30lb!
That is a lot

Oem only ment to go to 14lb
I be worried at 30lb.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”