[Mk2] [NA] rev4na block rebuild advise on bearings please!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mk2mattw

[Mk2] [NA] rev4na block rebuild advise on bearings please!

Post by mk2mattw »

I am in the process of rebuilding a spare engine I have,being honest I have not done a block rebuild before and looking for advise on how to make sure I get the correct bearings for the crank and the conrods-been told about some sort of numbering system on the caps to help identify which standard bearings I need?

Any advise from guys who have done it before would be massively appreciated:)
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [NA] rev4na block rebuild advise on bearings please!

Post by ashley »

Have you got the BGB- it's all explained in there, and if you're planning to do it properly you probably want to get your head into the book!

There are different standard toyota bearing sizes, but if you use after market bearings (eg ACL) they just have one "standard" size...fit them and plastigauge to check clearances and Bob's your Uncle's Fanny :thumleft:
mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

ashley wrote:Have you got the BGB- it's all explained in there, and if you're planning to do it properly you probably want to get your head into the book!

There are different standard toyota bearing sizes, but if you use after market bearings (eg ACL) they just have one "standard" size...fit them and plastigauge to check clearances and Bob's your Uncle's Fanny :thumleft:

Yea I have the Toyota manual-says for the conrod ones there are 3 different sizes, but the ones for the crank(can't remember the name but the ones that secure it to the block) supposedly only have 2 different sizes (no.3 cap is wider), been told that there are loads ofddifferent sizes for these and want to make sure im not going to end up with a paperweight rather than a rebuilt engine!haha
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

mk2mattw wrote:
ashley wrote:Have you got the BGB- it's all explained in there, and if you're planning to do it properly you probably want to get your head into the book!

Yea I have the Toyota manual-says for the conrod ones there are 3 different sizes, but the ones for the crank(can't remember the name but the ones that secure it to the block) supposedly only have 2 different sizes (no.3 cap is wider), been told that there are loads ofddifferent sizes for these and want to make sure im not going to end up with a paperweight rather than a rebuilt engine!haha

Get the old shells out. Look on the back and they'll be marked if the're undersize. e.g. 0.25 or 0.5. If unmarked, they'll be standard size.

Then buy same size bearings from ACL, Clevite, King etc. Loads on ebay.
ashley

Post by ashley »

The standard Toyota bearings will have numbers stamped in them (1,2 or 3 for the big ends), the numbers should match the con rod numbers. But as said, after market bearings in the standard size just come in one size...but you still need to check the oil clearances.

The 0.25 or 0.5 Peter is talking about is if over size bearings have been fitted at some point because the crank has been ground down to remove any damage...so definitely worth checking what you have before you buy any parts!
Last edited by ashley on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

Says something about 3 different sizes I thought-these markings on the bearings will they be embossed or will it be quite hard to see? Appreciate the advise so far guys:)
ashley

Post by ashley »

:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

And Mains:

But- again, if you buy after market bearings none of this matters :thumleft:
mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

Thats a great help! Tbh the engine was fine when I removed it-you could just about hear the tappets from cold (faintly) but I have replaced pretty much everything else on the car so it would be nice to have a basically brand new engine:). What I don't understand is how by using aftermarket bearings at a "standard" size would work if Toyota are specifying different bearing sizes?
ashley

Post by ashley »

If you look at the differences between the std bearing sizes you can see it's pretty small! But that is why you have to measure your oil clearances when using after market bearings- just to make sure you are within tolerance :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Ash is bang on.

The reason for Toyota using 3 different sizes is down to mass production. If they only used the one size of bearing, they'ed have to machine the cranks more accurately. Remember, we're talking microns here.

So when they machined a crank they measured it and matched it to one of 3 bearing sizes, which are sub-sizes of a standard bearing.

If you need PlastiGuage PM me.
mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

Cheers for the advise so far guys! Have sent you a pm regarding the plastigauges! :)

Return to “Mechanical”