3SGE Rev2 / Rev3

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fred130111

3SGE Rev2 / Rev3

Post by fred130111 »

Just a quick one really, my engine is on its last legs (rev 2 3sge ) around 180K needs a new clutch and pretty much had a prolapse and had shot oil everywhere due to the screws that Toyota decided to use for the rocker cover :S, i sorted this issue but there is oil everywhere and i cant really be bothered to clean it.

So im thinking just to change the engine for a much lower mileage one instead of faffing around changing the clutch and then probably having to do the cambelt and headgasket

from what ive seen you can get a rev 2 3sge a fair bit cheaper than the rev 3+ 3sge but performance wise is there any noticable difference? because if not I will just source a rev 2 one.

Cheers!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: 3SGE Rev2 / Rev3

Post by Ryan S »

get a rev2 import engine, i had a rev2 import and it was much quicker than my rev3 UK :thumleft:
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

that is interesting! from what i understood with most imports around that age was some wouldn't require a cat? and there was a difference with emission laws. Please correct me with wrong but I didn't think there was any difference with the engine itself lol!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

fred130111 wrote:Just a quick one really, my engine is on its last legs (rev 2 3sge ) around 180K needs a new clutch and pretty much had a prolapse and had shot oil everywhere due to the screws that Toyota decided to use for the rocker cover :S, i sorted this issue but there is oil everywhere and i cant really be bothered to clean it.

So im thinking just to change the engine for a much lower mileage one instead of faffing around changing the clutch and then probably having to do the cambelt and headgasket

from what ive seen you can get a rev 2 3sge a fair bit cheaper than the rev 3+ 3sge but performance wise is there any noticable difference? because if not I will just source a rev 2 one.

Cheers!

We have an engine for sale complete with clutch and gearbox, I will find out what it is.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

fred130111 wrote:that is interesting! from what i understood with most imports around that age was some wouldn't require a cat? and there was a difference with emission laws. Please correct me with wrong but I didn't think there was any difference with the engine itself lol!

pre 95 import won't need a CAT, my tubby gets through emissions no problem with no CAT :thumleft: i'm not sure what the differences are with the engine but my import deffo felt a good bit quicker than my uk car. i've spoken to a few guy with imports who've said they are set up different etc, I can't confirm as i never really had much interest in the non turbos after moving to a turbo.
MR2shane

3SGE Rev2 / Rev3

Post by MR2shane »

I'm sure there's a difference...

There's a reason why virtually every MR2 championship driver runs a rev3 engine.

Having said that...my import Rev2 i raced in 2013 was a bit of a frankenstein, running a UK gearbox (imports have better ratios), auto ecu (yes i converted the car mechanically only) with just a decat, K&N intake and kakimoto exhaust as mods and yet i still got some midpack results against a field of mostly Rev3's.

Generally I found initial accelleration was only very slightly slower (even if i was quicker out of a corner), but mid & top end was alot slower...(I still have nightmares about the Hanger Straight & Rockinghams Turn One):cry: . But like i say, slower auto ECU map & other factors could have contributed.

Either way, i have now bit the bullet, stored the sweet Rev2 nice and safe as a spare and arranged for a Rev3 Hurley Race Engine to be installed ready for this season :D

So personally I would look for a good rev3 to drop in yourself. Or get in touch with Sean Hurley ofcourse.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Ah interesting! Yeah from what I've seen most people say rev 3 na engine is an easy swap in terms of power I'm not massively bothered as I will be purchasing a turbo mr2 at some point for the summer but I would like to keep this one running as my daily :)

I havnt done an engine change before but I am pretty hands on with it, so has anyone got any advice is it really that simple or is it going to be a complete pain and probably better for me to pay the 500 quid I was quoted to get it swapped?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Its not hard to swap the engines over,drops out of the bottom, took all day on mine. That was with two of us and I hadn't met Jeff before he turned up that morning to help me. So it shouldn't take as long as that included fitting a turbo box to the na engine before fitting etc.
Sorting the wiring out took a little longer as you will have to cut and shut a few wires at the ecu and engine bay fuse box.
Just make sure you get the rev3 engine, loom and ecu rev2 has the later coilpack and ignitor already.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Yeah wireing really was the main concern, would it be easier to literally get a rev 3 ecu and loom and swap the whole lot out? Or is it literally just a few things here and there like you say?

Came across a rev 2 import engine today at a breakers low mileage and they only wanted 150 for it, it was a while ago but I spoke to someone at pacific works I could swear they only wanted 500 all in for the swap and at that price I guess it would probably make more sense to do that?

Another question would my rev 2 gearbox fit the rev 3 engine? I guess it would but could any of you wizards enlighten me?

Cheers
RST

Post by RST »

Mind the pre 95 thing is more significant for 3SGTE's (MR2's -not GT4's). I sold a relatively low mileage gen 2 3SGE about 2007 time and got £150 then (with well more that in new servicing parts fitted recently) -I'm sure they're found for less now. I may stand corrected but thought all the boxes would bolt-up -there was some slight change in gearing between revisions but nothing physically different to fit?

...Just be careful if you're looking on-line for engines, there's lots of posts on certain breakers not to buy from!

I would do a phone round the affiliates personally. At least you got 180k out of the last one -that's not too shabby.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”