Locking wheel nuts

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GHOST

Locking wheel nuts

Post by GHOST »

Just got my new alloys on today and I'm uber pleased with them. And now I'm thinking I need to safeguard them.

So, locking wheelnuts...Good deterrent or not worth the bother because if someone wants your wheels they're going to take them anyway?
GHOST

Re: Locking wheel nuts

Post by GHOST »

Also, any recommendations? Just watched a Youtube video of some thief hammering a normal socket onto one and getting it off with ease :(
synXero

Post by synXero »

Most of them wouldn't stop the determined I don't think.

On the other hand - better than nothing eh. Most of the time I have had locking nuts included in the purchase of normal nuts.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

I think it's more to delay the "thieving scrots" more than anything, if anyone want to steal something they will,
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Nic

Post by Nic »

Worth fitting one per wheel as a deterrent but if someone really wants to steal them it won't stop them.

I'm using the forged aluminium Richbrook wheel nuts very good quality and still look new after over a year.

http://www.richbrook.co.uk/aluminium-nu ... wheel-nuts
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
RST

Post by RST »

I used to always head for McGuard, but now I just always ask for them as a deal in whatever *new* wheels I'm buying (I always take the deal for nuts / bolts as previous ones always tarnish). They all seem to have their flaws though, and none 100% secure -but a better deterrent at least.

What did your insurers say about the wheels though -I know mine specify locknuts are to be fitted. I'm pretty sure a previous insurer wanted rated ones -most probably why I started using the McGuards. I would say the Richbrook ones from Halfords would probably do as well as McGuards or most others at the end of the day. Just don't loose the key LoL.
cosmos

locking nuts

Post by cosmos »

Only one locking wheel nut that is Thatchum approved when last checked, and that is because the outer barrel revolves should someone hammer a socket over it.
Halfords sell them, might be a special order though as Mgard are German.

So do not buy regular Mgard. Do buy Mgard Ultra this is the revolving outer barrel type……just never lose the key or code !!

Regular Mgard approx £30 Mgard Ultra approx £33/£35

Mine were same thread and taper 60 degrees as Ford Focus.

Rob.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Going to get some Ultras. So is it the 60 degrees I need for an MR2? And what thread size?
cosmos

Wheelnut

Post by cosmos »

M12 X 1.5 mm take your wheel nut to compare seat angle.
RST

Post by RST »

Did you get these 2n'd hand -all this should have been on offer when you ordered them, or if not, you just go through on-line places and phone them up for the nuts -easy peasy.
cosmos

Wheelnut

Post by cosmos »

Forgot to add my wheels are Work vs wheels, the nuts are the same as my previous Focus ST's and Kuga's, regarding thread size M12 X 1.5mm pitch and 60 degree seating angle.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I didn't mate, it was online from drifrworks and I didn't think. Might give them a call this week. All the normal nuts were supplied but no locking ones.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Are the mcgard ultra locking wheel nuts "tuner" nuts?
I was about to order an "mcgard installation kit" that included spline drive wheel nuts :-k
Draven

Post by Draven »

I found that locking wheel nuts actually just caused me more hassle.

I think if someone wants to steal your wheels they are going to. If you do get locking wheel nuts keep good care of them as they can be a nightmare when they get corroded and the key doesn't fit anymore. :shock:
cosmos

Wheelnuts

Post by cosmos »

Mgard Ultra has the revolving out barrel, this would rotate if a socket was forced on it whereas a solid type tuner nut relying on an internal spline i,m assuming would be more prone to undo with a jamming device, probably the professional would always find a way and the opportunist would be put off...........
cosmos

Re: Wheelnuts

Post by cosmos »

[quote="cosmos"]Mgard Ultra has the revolving outer barrel, this would rotate if a socket was forced on it whereas a solid type tuner nut relying on an internal spline i,m assuming would be more prone to undo with a jamming device, probably the professional would always find a way and the opportunist would be put off...........[/quote]
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Have a look at my post here - tells you all you need to know :-)

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ght=mcgard

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”