[Mk2] [Turbo] Best way to monitor a chargecooler??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best way to monitor a chargecooler??

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:
jimGTS wrote:http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=167

this more suited to "bolting" it into the side of the inlet manifold like my picture?

Why arnt you going for this one out of interest I linked to couple of pages ago?

it's twice the price of some of the others i've seen, and only 2m :(

ah hang on, they do a 4m cable for $42, i also forgot the price was in dollars. i will just but that one :D
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I would hope 4meters is enough, not sure it is though. :-/
I'd rather get an extra couple of meters.

I'm sure contacting them you could get something longer??
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:I would hope 4meters is enough, not sure it is though. :-/
I'd rather get an extra couple of meters.

I'm sure contacting them you could get something longer??

yeah i'll give them a shout, still waiting on my gauge though :(
Quibble

Post by Quibble »

I talked with the guy at Auber again just to find out more about the accuracy as I never really understood his last reply about it this is what he said:

"You can calibrate the gauge with probe and offset the error before you use it (see attached file on how to calibrate).
There are many factors affecting air temp reading accuracy. But for class A PT100 rtd sensor and standard environment, the error should be within 1F".

He's talking about the sensor in jim's link when he calls it PT100 rtd. The same one we are hoping to put in that spare port, so it sounds very accurate. He also told me you can calibrate them using ice water but I'll let Sheppy explain that one when he gets his!! :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Quibble wrote:I talked with the guy at Auber again just to find out more about the accuracy as I never really understood his last reply about it this is what he said:

"You can calibrate the gauge with probe and offset the error before you use it (see attached file on how to calibrate).
There are many factors affecting air temp reading accuracy. But for class A PT100 rtd sensor and standard environment, the error should be within 1F".

He's talking about the sensor in jim's link when he calls it PT100 rtd. The same one we are hoping to put in that spare port, so it sounds very accurate. He also told me you can calibrate them using ice water but I'll let Sheppy explain that one when he gets his!! :thumleft:

good work man, :thumleft:
Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

sheppy wrote:there's loads of 1/8 npt thermocouple senders but i can't find one with long enough wire, can i extend the wire with normal wire or would it have to be thermocouple wire??

The latter - http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0360/article.html
Talking about cables, it's absolutely vital that only K-Type thermocouple extension cable is used to extend the thermocouple lead. If you extend the cable using normal copper cable, major errors will be introduced into the measurement!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

cheers mate, i had a feeling it would have to be the same wire :(
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Come on dude you got this yet, lol!
I wona see some pics installed :-)

May have to order soon.

Btw, I tried a 1/8npt oil pressure sensor in that port, and couldn't for life of me thread it in. I suspect it maybe wasn't tapered, hence didn't like it.
Hopefully the adapters are tapered, they look it anyhow.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:Come on dude you got this yet, lol!
I wona see some pics installed :-)

May have to order soon.

Btw, I tried a 1/8npt oil pressure sensor in that port, and couldn't for life of me thread it in. I suspect it maybe wasn't tapered, hence didn't like it.
Hopefully the adapters are tapered, they look it anyhow.

still waiting on it mate, i'm gonna order some of the thin wire in the meantime just to get it working as i fear that ordering from auber again is gonna take ages, i'll hook it up before i install the chargecooler and record the temps with the intercooler, just out of curiosity of course :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

PT100's are very good at the temperature's we're talking about. The ice bath bit means you can shift the reading to read zero -after that you need a known temp source (like a pan of boiling water) to adjust the top reading at 100deg, then you have 2 points you can adjust the curve within the span of the sensor.

In any case PT100's should read much better than thermocouples and you only need plain wire and connectors to extend them rather than the likes of nichrome / alumel alloys for thermocouples. Should read a bit faster also.

I used to calibrate temp sensors of various kinds at work -these things work MUCH better than anyone would need them on a car as long as you stick to good wiring etc.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah that's good to know man.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah that's good to know man.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

at last, my Auber gauge has arrived, i'm gonna hook it up with the intercooler still in place so i can compare intake temps over the chargecooler, which i will attempt to fit in the next month or so, i was a bit worried about doing it with no real device to monitor it, but now the gauge is here it's all go, i'll measure intake temps on the intercooler while at full boost/low boost and in traffic etc, then compare with the CC :thumleft:
Quibble

Post by Quibble »

Nice one. I'm still gathering the parts for the charge cooler set up. I wasn't going to bother with the gauge until I fit the charge cooler so it will be interesting to see how you get on. Are you going to use that green k type wire or did you get something from Auber?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

gonna see if i can get a sensor in the throttle body, one of the ones that take normal wire :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

bringing back an old thread;

but no idea if anyone got one of these auber gauge kits in the end, interested to hear your experiences???
but ive just put in an order with an audible alarm and the boltable air temp sensor option :mrgreen:

ill let folk know how it goes with my water injection on and off with a sidemount.
be interesting to see the difference.

i will also be going to a chargecooler at some point, hence the idea to get one of these now as ill have no way of knowing of any issues, as pointed out earlier, an intake temp gauge (with audible alarm) and level sensor LED are the way forward if you havent the st205 ecu to look after things.

:thumleft:

example of the unit in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9em1wrySeOE
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I did pick up the gauge and sensor but it's sitting waiting to go in the car :(
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I know I have a different set up to you guys but I made a super simple way with answering the original question :lol:

My swirl pot is high and I have a clear tube that I can see in the mirror, when the water is circulating as it should the pipe turns pink :mrgreen:

I know it's not helping much but it works 8-[

How's things on the Home front Ryan ?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah things are nice and stable at the moment man. Gonna make a start on this car soon, turned out my brand new turbo has a knackered oil feed (in the cartridge) so I need a new one. Other than that it's just bolting it all together. I'm hoping to at least drop the engine in this weekend or next, there's no real excuse for not having it in by now other than I've not got round to it :(

Return to “Modifications”