Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Re: Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by JAAASH »

RikH77 wrote:I think it needs the Greddy spats back on... :thumleft:

Great save tho, looked awful with that wing

Spats are sold now. I know what you mean though. The back end looks kind of 'empty' without them.
I've got a Toms rear bumper that's gonna be fitted at some point. As soon as I pull my finger out and get it and the rest of my kit resprayed :oops:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

RedMR² wrote:Nice mods with the lights etc, I've parted rev3 lights before as I had one JDM and one UK cluster so split the UK one to remove the fog light 'mirror' Not a job I'd like to do again any time soon! :pale:

Tell me about it. In and out of the oven tens of times, took me hours!
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Another little mod I've done is to fit leds in the speedo cluster along with some red film.
Nice, simple but noticeable little mod.

Eventually I want to do all the interior lights with red leds 8)
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Nice build thread, looks great!

I'm liking the all red dash lights effect.

Was there a particular kind of film that you used so as not to degrade? :-k

What replacement cluster LEDs did you use?

What about using PP style rear spats as a temporary measure till you get the toms rear on!

It'll beef up the rear a treat till your ready to put your toms on :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

As I have mentioned in a couple of earlier posts, I have a Toms kit waiting in the garage. Everything except a rear centre panel, which we all know are rare as hens teeth. And when they do pop up for sale, they are an obscene amount of money to buy!
So, I decided to just make one instead :)

I bought 2 centre panels from guys breaking their cars on here and started fettling away...

I tried spraying them black but something in the plastic kept reacting with the paint so I just wrapped them instead.

I had some T020 stickers made up, got some ali mesh and assembled it all :D

Next up was fitting it to the car. The panel was now effectively double the thickness of the original so there was quite a step when fitted. This meant that the brackets needed to be modified and the boot lock also needed to be recessed a bit. After a little bit of trial and error I managed to get everything lined up nicely so glued the brackets back together and final fitted the panel :mrgreen:

Well chuffed with the results :mrgreen:
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

juliankv73 wrote:Nice build thread, looks great!

I'm liking the all red dash lights effect.

Was there a particular kind of film that you used so as not to degrade? :-k

What replacement cluster LEDs did you use?

What about using PP style rear spats as a temporary measure till you get the toms rear on!

It'll beef up the rear a treat till your ready to put your toms on :thumleft:

Cheers mate :D

The film was just transparent colour gel sheets bought from ebay. Didn't really factor in degrading to be honest. Just wanted red, :lol:

I think these were the LEDs I bought - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-XENON-PURE ... 3a7e96ca63
Although if I were to buy them again I would look for ones that are a little brighter/stronger.

I know what you are saying about the pp spats but it means spending more money and then something else I've got to try and sell on again when I'm done with them. I'll get the bumper sorted soon. The longer I keep seeing the rear as it is, the more it will motivate me to make a start on it.
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Very nice, great work on the TOMS rear panel - looks really good :thumleft:

p.s loving the double stagger (jealous)!!
CRAIGROBBO

Post by CRAIGROBBO »

Really nice project! And nice save!....

Looks a million dollars mate keep up the great work.

Cheers Craig
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

We heard a lot about this car while we were away in June :whistle: :lol:

Looking good though :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Magic Beans wrote:We heard a lot about this car while we were away in June :whistle: :lol:

Looking good though :thumleft:

Cheers Phil. Loved the Mule! Was well jealous I couldn't go on the Le Mans trip with everyone. Maybe one day.

Anyway, been a while since I updated this so thought I'd share some more.

Little bit of carbon, I like carbon :) as you'll find out with a few of my next little projects :wink:

Got some stainless rings for the dials. And also got hold of a cluster with an omori boost gauge in the stock boost gauge position which you can just about make out in the picture. And some imoc mats 8)

Also managed to get hold of one of these :D

New seats :mrgreen: Well happy with these!
It's not very noticeable in the picture but I have actually re-trimmed the door card inserts and roof lining with Bride material. I will get the seat cushions done eventually so it all matches but that's a job im gonna have to out source so probably won't be cheap :?
Unless anyone here is any good at re-trimming seat cushions? :whistle: :pray:

Bought a Blitz dual solenoid boost controller from fleebay and got it fitted. Mounted the controller in the clock position.

Dont you just love seized calipers! ](*,) [-X
Typically it happened on the way to a meet so had to abort and come home.

Got some refurb kits and rebuilt them. Added a fresh lick of paint too.

Also got hold of some bomex mirrors and trial fitted them. They still need respraying so went back in the box until a later date.

Found some pictures from when I changed my cat for the new downpipe.
Probably a good thing I decided to that job. I doubt the cat was very effective!

I did eventually make it to a meet. Wasn't an MR2 specific meet. Any cars go, from Fords and Vauxhalls to Ferraris and Porsches.
A local photogragher was wondering rounds taking pics. This is probably my favourite picture of my car :) Wish I could take photos like that!

Had a little play with the boost controller...

](*,) At first I thought I had just turned it up to high or something but after explaining every thing over the phone to Mr Gidden, he reckons the boost controller was faulty as it shouldnt have hurt the engine from the numbers I dialled in. Still havent actually worked out whats wrong with it yet but will get round to it eventually :roll:

Started stripping down the engine with my dad.

The offending piston!! Well and truly fubarrd. Had a hairline crack going round the entire thing. Luckily it all stayed in one piece in the engine and didnt damage the cylinder.

New parts ordered from Peter and the engine was built back up :D
Car drove perfectly when it was done :) Disconnected the boost controller though until I've worked out whats wrong with it.

Smooth engine only lasted about 5 months though :(
Started running lumpy and lots of hesitating on boost. and at about 10-11psi (i think) the turbo just cuts out like I've taken my foot off the accelerator :mad:
Took the air intake off and this is how it looked.

Somethings not right. Haven't worked out what at the moment though. Lots of mayo everywhere so was thinking head gasket. Exhaust isn't smokey though. After a chat with Peter, he doesnt think it's head gasket as I've been running standard boost and with a metal head gasket its very rare that it would go.
So i'm a bit stumped at the moment.

Took the mr2 off the road and bought a Golf as a runaround for winter and until i've sorted my engine woes.

As soon as the weather becomes a bit more bearable to work in i"ll start pulling the engine apart...again!

In the meantime, I keep buying bodykit parts/visual mods :mrgreen: Got a pair of vented fibreglass wings, a set of Abflug style wide arches, and a freshly painted Airwalker front bumper to replace my damaged one. Also got a full set of rub strips from Shmed. Gonna skin them in carbon fibre.
None of the body parts have been fitted yet. Waiting for some nicer weather.

This is how my old bedroom looks... Good job I only come home on weekends :lol:

This turned up the other day too :mrgreen: Phoenix Power engine lid from the Carben Fibre Creations group buy.

So I've got plenty to keep me busy :D
Im in no rush though, it's gonna be a slow project. Need to stop spending money really and start saving for a house again :roll:
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

You've been busy! Love those Bride seats, I always wanted a pair for mine.

Photo wise you can get shots like that, you just need a reasonable camera, shot in RAW and tweak the images in software like Lightroom. Balance out the exposure, shadows and highlights, colour temp etc then add a load of Clarity :thumleft: Yep, I've become a photography geek over the past year :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

this looks oddly fantastic, dunno what it is but i think it looks great :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Wow, someone's been busy! Nice work Josh. :thumleft:
nimz

Post by nimz »

Lovely looking car mate :thumleft: out of interest, what happened to the old wheels? Big fan of white on white.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Magic Beans wrote:Photo wise you can get shots like that, you just need a reasonable camera, shot in RAW and tweak the images in software like Lightroom. Balance out the exposure, shadows and highlights, colour temp etc then add a load of Clarity :thumleft: Yep, I've become a photography geek over the past year :lol:

I've got a canon eos 400 D. It's my dad's old one. I just need to learn how to use it :oops:

sheppy wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s66 ... 7d5c31.jpg

this looks oddly fantastic, dunno what it is but i think it looks great :thumleft:

Me too mate, it will eventually be getting swapped for the new one.

RedMR² wrote:Wow, someone's been busy! Nice work Josh. :thumleft:

Cheers Craig, looking forward to seeing pics of your shell when its done.

nimz wrote:Lovely looking car mate :thumleft: out of interest, what happened to the old wheels? Big fan of white on white.

Thanks mate. Old wheels are in the garage, i may swap back to them one day as i also like the white on white. And they are proper TE37's so i cant bring myself to sell them :lol:

CRAIGROBBO

Post by CRAIGROBBO »

Hi Josh,

Nice work pal,

I love those seats!! Want :pray:

Craig
craig

Post by craig »

simba90 wrote:

RedMR² wrote:Wow, someone's been busy! Nice work Josh. :thumleft:

Cheers Craig, looking forward to seeing pics of your shell when its done.

So am I...... I mean it's only been November 2013 since I last saw it! :neutral: :lol:
Infamous

Post by Infamous »

Loving that toms rear panel you made up, great job dude! :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Thanks for the positive comments guys :)

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Just found a couple of pics from the Blackpool meet I went to a few months ago. My 1st meet, and thoroughly enjoyed it :mrgreen:

In all the excitement, I forgot to get a picture of all the cars lined up in the car park ](*,)

Also downloaded Lightroom5 after Phils recommendation and had a little play. Yes, the editing is probably very poor as its my first go so please don't slate me for it :lol:

Hour and a half journey there with a mate/my photographer.

Illumination run.

Got talking with l1ca (Dave) and decided to go for a quick photoshoot before driving back home 8)

(The first 4 photos are my edits and the last 2 are my mates edits)
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Member Profiles”