**UPDATED** 1991 Rev 1 (Beastly V6 1MZ-FE VVTI) **UPDATED**

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Re: **UPDATED** 1991 Rev 1 (Beastly V6 1MZ-FE VVTI) **UPDATED**

Post by KarlBristol »

Well this thread has grown since I was last on IMOC :lol:

Thank you Ash for the very kind transport offer, it really is appreciated. Currently I cannot afford the circa £120 -£150 for the trailer and petrol costs. Money really is very tight at the moment as my partner is on statutory minimum maternity pay, leaving me to pretty much cover our mortgage, bills, car finance, loan, etc... Which is almost impossible so trying to find the money to cover these costs as well isn't going to happen.

I may take it off the road for a while and try to rectify the issue whilst it's not costing money to insure/tax etc.

Slipping clutch - thank you for the suggestion. I have double checked all of the lighting wiring etc and the lighting is definitely earthed properly and definitely isn't the issue. I also took all the lighting fuses out to double check and the drain was still there.

Peter - got to be honest I'm a little taken aback by your posts and their tone.

If you read the posts above - I haven't posted anything about or modified my rear light looms recently. That was another member quoting a post that I made quite some time ago and trying to offer constructive advice. So no I didn't do any tests for parasitic drain or do the tests you requested then as that was some weeks/months ago!!!

The car left me and went up North with, to the best of my knowledge no electrical drain. Prior to leaving me it was left for several extended periods of non-usage and started up on the first turn of the key. The battery wasn't discharging and the car wasn't failing to start when left for periods of time. Yes as you state there had been previous electrical issues but this was almost 2 years ago and as far as I am aware these were resolved. The car had regularly been left for between 2-3 weeks without issue before. It was left for some time untouched when I pulled it out of the garage for your trip up north in it as I had only just moved house.

I appreciate the thoughts on the loom earthing. This may be connected to the previous issues but it would seem odd that it would develop so long after the initial fault.

I worked a 20 hour shift today and have done over 100 hours this week. I try to respond as quickly as possible. There were numerous 2-3 week + periods during my build that I was contacting you every day and you didn't respond once so it doesn't seem right to bring up that fact that you sent me a request via PM late yesterday and I haven't replied to it yet. I have received your PM but still no SMS messages from you - so in answer to your question no SMS clearly isn't working. I'm more than happy to send you a screen shot or my bill if you don't believe me. Your PM was sent to me at 22:49 last night so waiting 24 hours for a response is hardly unreasonable.

My partner is 4 days away from giving birth, work is manic and everything is rather hectic. Couple that with the fact that I've had two deaths in the family, and Nics brother has been involved in a car crash all within the past month means that whilst I get things done as quickly as possible it isn't immediate.

Have I done the tests you requested - yes I have. That's why I was logging on, in order to send you a PM when I saw your post.

At no point do I recollect you mentioning collecting the car for the price of fuel and a train ticket. Thank you for the offer, although I probably couldn't afford this at the moment anyway - I literally am counting pennies until Nic returns to work.

I appreciate all the help ideas and advice that I receive from everyone on the forum, especially in times of need like this. I would appreciate you not voicing the fact that you are frustrated with me publicly, especially when I haven't done anything wrong. I didn't even publicly scribe my frustrations during my build which was something that I was paying for.

I will respond to your PM now.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Apologies if the tone of my post was not as expected. It was not intended to be anything other than informative.

Your tests results so far are fine in isolation. However, they don't make sense when put together. So working on the basis that you've carried out the tests correctly, that suggests the fault is an unusual one.

We have confirmed engine bay wiring is good. We have confirmed alternator and battery are good. We have confirmed there is no current flow through any fuses. Yet there is a parasitic loss.

So now we need to look at the loom earths. Not easy 200 miles away, but i'll sort out some more tests.

If i sound frustrated, i guess i am. I am desperate to get your car right again, and pride myself on my abilities and aftersales service, but your shifts and distance make it really difficult.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

If you think that the stress and shifts of my life make things difficult from your end, you should try to live it :lol:

I've sent you a PM covering everything but just in case you don't see it here are the results of recent tests. I set the multimeter set to 10 for all of the following and re-did all the tests to confirm the readings were correct/done correctly.

- The drain fluctuates between 0.34 - 0.37
- When a door is open and the interior light is on the drain is 0.73
- When the Alt Sencing fuse is removed (and door shut) the drain drops to 0.02
- I removed every engine bay fuse and kept them all out at the same time. The reading remains unchanged at 0.33
- I removed the small white cable block in the engine bay fuse box and the drain remains unchanged
- I removed the large white cable block in the engine bay fuse box and the drain dropped to 0.02
- I took the three pin alternator lead out and the reading dropped to 0.02
- I replaced it and removed the main feed to the alternator. Once again the reading dropped to 0.02
- I then ran a cable from the alternator feed to the engine bay fuse box positive. This gave a drain reading of 0.35
- I then connected the test loom you built me having removed my current plug from my alternator. I then linked both the spades to the positive in the engine bay fuse box. This gave a reading of 0.36
- I disconnected the 'Alt sencing' spade connector from the positive in the fuse box and this still showed a reading of 0.36

Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

KarlBristol wrote:lots of tests

Well i can see one anomaly immediately. We might have something. TTYL.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

A few more test results below which give a lot more of an indication IMO :-k

- Test loom fitted again being powered from the engine bay fuse box. This read a drain of 0.37
- Every engine bay fuse box fuses and relays removed at the same time and still showed a drain of 0.37
- I left all of the fuses etc out and also removed the small white cable block from the fuse box. Drain measured 0.37
- I then also removed the large white cable block. So that's every engine bay fuse/relay from the fuse box removed along with both of the cable blocks. It still read a 0.37 drain
- I left everything disconnected and also removed the 'ALT SENCING' wire from the test loom positive feed. This gave a reading of 0.37
- I removed the test loom and refitted the original three pinned connector. I left all of the fuses, cable blocks etc out (so the same as the test before last but with the original alternator connector). This gave a reading of 0.03
- I refitted the large cable block. I still had the small cable block and all fuses etc out and it showed a drain of 0.37

Odd!! :-k

Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

I set your alternator up on Craig's engine this morning so when you called we could both do the same tests and compare results.

It's 6pm now so i'm leaving for home.

Will have to wait til after Christmas now.
ashley

Post by ashley »

If it would help I'd be happy to come down and help with Peter on the phone instructing?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Peter - I tried to call you twice on the 23rd as agreed to run through some tests but your phone just diverted straight through to answer phone. I presumed that you were either busy or out of a signal area. Hence I did the tests you suggested and more that I could think of that would be relevant and posted them up at 16:00 in the hope that you would see them and get back to me at your convenience.

No great shakes.
If you could get in contact with some more tests that might help to narrow down the problem it would be appreciated :thumleft:

Ash - thank you very much for the offer, I may take you up on it once the issue has been definitely identified :thumleft:
Where abouts are you out of interest? :-k

Tbh my difficulty at the moment is spare time... Take today for example. I worked from 06:30 - 21:00. Then factor my run/commute to work either side of that, the shower that has to go with it, etc... By the time I get home from work I usually have time to cook, eat and then go to bed before I do it all over again. My shifts do vary but currently I'm finding that most of the time that I have available is between 03:00-04:00 (due to late-late shifts over the major holiday periods). Not the most sociable time to be calling people, but I do find it peaceful to be working in the garage at that time of night :mrgreen:

Having looked at the result of my tests the other day, I'm certain that the main clue at the moment is the anomaly in the test results of the white cable block being unplugged when using the test loom and the standard current loom.

- With the test loom fitted and all fuses removed from the engine bay along with both white cable blocks, the parasitic drain is 0.37
- With the original loom fitted and all fuses removed from the engine bay and both white cable blocks removed, the parasitic drain is 0.03
That certainly indicates that something isn't quite right :-k

I managed to get out in the garage on Christmas Eve with my freshly mixed custom paint for the car. It's a perfect match \:D/
I put on the first coat on the frunk turrets and it's looking a lot neater again. The small amount of filling/sanding is not at all noticeable and I'm pleased to say that the physical shape is perfect. So next I need to wet and dry it back down before applying one final coat and then some lacquer to tie it all in. I will try to download the pictures that I took on my camera at some stage in order to post them up and show some progress :thumleft:

ashley

Post by ashley »

I'm just North / West of Gloucester.

With Peter on the phone I'm pretty sure we could find the issue pretty quickly :thumleft:
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

KarlBristol wrote:Peter - I tried to call you twice on the 23rd as agreed to run through some tests but your phone just diverted straight through to answer phone.

Checked my phone for Monday - no missed calls from you and no voicemails. I did have 4 "number witheld" missed calls.

Witholding number and leaving no voicemail introduces certain complications re. returning the call.

If for some reason i can't answer the phone, just leave a voicemail. ](*,)
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Ok - I will leave a voicemail in future.

What's the next tests?

Any progress on my exhaust mounts?
When's my alternator available to be sent back to me as I'm pretty sure we've discounted that as being the issue?

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

So I get criticised if I don't do respond re test results the same day but it seems fine the other way around not to respond for days :roll:

What's the next thing to test please?
Can I please have my alternator back and my exhaust mounts which we agreed would be made up and sent to me 3 months ago...

MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Doesn't open his PM's either. :cry:
No 2 :(
ashley

Post by ashley »

Edited away....
Last edited by ashley on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:Doesn't open his PM's either. :cry:

That'll be the one sent on Dec. 27th. I confess to having a few days off work.

You have VM. :thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Just noticed the for sale advert there Karl, I'm really sorry to see this.

I have been keeping track of the issue you have been having with the car. Im hoping that it is just a phase of having "fallen out" with the car so to speak and that you will change your mind and store it away until the headache clears :)

I know when I was having boost control issues during the summer I was losing my mind big time with it and ended up putting it away for winter a few months early as it was doing my head in.

I understand you have a kid on the way and it would help to give some
Breathing space and so on so totally respect your thoughts on selling.

All the best with whatever the final outcome is... and remember what is for you will not go past you. If it doesn't sell by the 13th that means you should keep it buddy ;)
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

The car looks great now from those pics in for sale Karl, it really does. What a shame you are selling up. I hope you can find a way to keep her and dry store it even if you cannot have it on the road for a while, it`s clearly been your pride and joy and the effort you put in, money spent on it and the care it has had, it really has transformed from how you bought it.

If you really have to let it go then someone is going to get a very well maintained car with mainly new parts on it, so hopefully it will be an IMOC member who will continue to treat it well. You have obviously given this a lot of thought as the advert is so detailed, just hope you are sure and not just in a frustrated frame of mind! Good luck with the sale.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I had very mixed feelings today.... Why? Well EOR has sold.

I'm sad that she's gone but equally I haven't been using her recently and I'm pleased that she went to the buyer that she did. Conrad is the new owner, and may well turn up on here (I do hope so as I want to follow EORs progress!) Conrad is a top bloke and I know that she will be well cared for and looked after. He is off home to the Shetland Islands now (what a treck! :pale: )

Watch this space...

craig

Post by craig »

KarlBristol wrote:I had very mixed feelings today.... Why? Well EOR has sold.

I'm sad that she's gone but equally I haven't been using her recently and I'm pleased that she went to the buyer that she did. Conrad is the new owner, and may well turn up on here (I do hope so as I want to follow EORs progress!) Conrad is a top bloke and I know that she will be well cared for and looked after. He is off home to the Shetland Islands now (what a treck! :pale: )

Watch this space...

Sad news mate, but glad it's sold as you wanted it to. :thumleft:

Did you get the issue sorted then mate? or was the guy going to sort it?

Shame after all the money you ploughed into it, but glad you got what you wanted.

You'll be back :mrgreen:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

As much as I wanted to keep her it just didn't seem the sensible thing to do.... Selling her will allow me to clear some debts and will also mean that Nic could potentially go part time to look after our little one. So it was painful to see her go given everything I've put into her, but I know it's the right decision for my situation at the minute....

Conrad is having the electrical discharge issue sorted himself.
I believe that he will probably be calling Peter to arrange for it to be fixed at his workshop as Peter knows the car and the engine.

Oh I've got no doubt I will be back when finances will allow :mrgreen:
Maybe a project one in the future to do up as my sons first car..... :whistle:

Return to “Member Profiles”