[Mk2] [Turbo] Alarm and remote central locking

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jsturbo
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Alarm and remote central locking

Post by Jsturbo »

Now i need help here the new rev 3 turbo i have does not have a alarm or remote central locking and i hate not having remote central locking.

Im wondering what sort of alarm and locking is a good budget set up for the mr2 and what sort of price isit going to cost for me to get one fitted
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Alarm and remote central locking

Post by Pauln »

I had a Toad Ai606 Thatcham Category I Alarm system fitted to mine some years ago. This links on to your existing central locking system to make it remotely operated, and has quite a few sensor options. I just went with ultrasonic interior protection and the usual links to anything being opened. It's been pretty reliable, and would probably go for another one again. If you want it professionally installed you need to shop around, but I'd expect to pay around £250 upwards these days.
Jsturbo
Premium Member

Post by Jsturbo »

Ok thanks for your reply ill look into it, i would just prefere to have one and the better security also, i wouldnt attempt to fit myself id end up making it look like spaghetti junction and it wouldnt even work
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Actually thinking about it, I'm not sure what happens insurance wise if you self install alarms as you're supposed to be able to show your insurance company a certificate to show it does comply with Cat 1. I've also read that if you go for the remote start option, it won't comply with Cat 1 requirements. But I don't know if that's actually true or not. I didn't go for things like proximity sensors as mine's parked on the road.
Jsturbo
Premium Member

Post by Jsturbo »

Not wanting a remote start or anything like that, just remote locking really and alarm, i like the clifford alarms but unsure really what sort of prices im looking for as only really want to spend as little as possible as id rather get some nice wheels :)
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Fair enough. I think the Clifford are a bit more upmarket. The main thing is to make sure its rated as a Thatcham Cat I alarm to avoid insurance issues, and I'm not sure if the entry level Clifford is.

Return to “Electrical”