Poxy leaking t-bar

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hmltnangel

Re: Poxy leaking t-bar

Post by hmltnangel »

Solution really is a tintop :)

I had 2 tbars, a moonroof and a tintop. I loved the tintop the best.

On the tbar front though, the silicone worked for me :D
craig

Post by craig »

hmltnangel wrote:Solution really is a tintop :)

I had 2 tbars, a moonroof and a tintop. I loved the tintop the best.

On the tbar front though, the silicone worked for me :D

I had, in order:

Sunroof
T bar
T bar
Tintop

and currently have a T bar

I liked the tintop, don't get me wrong, but I'd take a T bar with new seals and roof out action over another tintop. 8)
planted1

Post by planted1 »

i took the glass tbars out and threaded a piece of stiff pvc coated wire down the tube,pulled it up and pushed it down a few times,bit like cleaning a gun.
Then i got a large jug and pored water down the hole untill my mate could see it running below.
Water was black and bitty with lumps of gunge dropping out untill it cleared
:thumleft:
Howling_Mad

Post by Howling_Mad »

david123 wrote:
planted1 wrote:I have new seals and mine still leaked,
i fitted new eccentric guides and mine still leaked,
all four drain holes and drain tubes were blocked,
i cleaned them out and its a helluva lot better.

how did you unblock the holes? and tubes?

I used a compressed air line, worked a treat :thumleft:

HM
RazzyRascal

Post by RazzyRascal »

If you really love the motor why not just buy new seals? Geez, it's hard enough stopping the water rusting up the exterior, let alone when it starts coming in. These things rust like hell, if I had water pouring in mine I'd be straight down mrT ordering the replacement parts, screw the silicone! Just ask yourself, how much do you love your car?

T-Bars definitely look the part and I can imagine those tops off with the windows down is awesome. But my moonroof pops out and remember if your after weight reduction for whatever reason the tintop/moon cars are lighter ;)
craig

Post by craig »

RazzyRascal wrote:If you really love the motor why not just buy new seals? Geez, it's hard enough stopping the water rusting up the exterior, let alone when it starts coming in. These things rust like hell, if I had water pouring in mine I'd be straight down mrT ordering the replacement parts, screw the silicone! Just ask yourself, how much do you love your car?

Agree entirely, those t bar seals have probably lasted the best part of 15-20 years. Why would you gob sealant all over the seals. :?

I broke a rev3 t bar last year, and it had black sealant all over the seals. Looked a right bodge.

New seals are the way forward, or if you can get away with eccentric guides as a temp fix till till the seals start leaking with the eccentric guides fitted.

What's a few hundred quid every 15+ years?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

taking them off and chucking them in a roasting hot bath (or the dishwasher if you;re brave enough) is meant to work wonders, restores the seals back to their original shape etc, i;ve never personally done it as i've never had enough bother with leaks.
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:taking them off and chucking them in a roasting hot bath (or the dishwasher if you;re brave enough) is meant to work wonders, restores the seals back to their original shape etc, i;ve never personally done it as i've never had enough bother with leaks.

The thing is, they're only meant to be fitted once as they're adhesive. That's why it's pointless to try and fit secondhand seals.

If you're going to the trouble of removing the seals and refitting (which is a massive pain in the ass) it may as well be to refit new ones.

All these bodge fixes are pointless.

sheppy wrote:i've never had enough bother with leaks.

sheppy wrote:

i've been quite lucky, the only one of mine that hasn't responded to the silicone trick is my latest one, simply because i've not had a chance to do it yet :thumleft: it leaks terribly at the passenger side :(

hmmm, sounds like bother to me :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

turned out the problem was with the window, not the t-bar seal, mine goes through my carwash once a day, never has any trouble after sorting the window,

and it wasn't a bad enough leak to warrant ripping out the seals :shock:
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:turned out the problem was with the window, not the t-bar seal, mine goes through my carwash once a day, never has any trouble after sorting the window,

Yeah, kind of pointless ripping out the roof seals if it's a window adjustment problem! :mrgreen:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:turned out the problem was with the window, not the t-bar seal, mine goes through my carwash once a day, never has any trouble after sorting the window,

Yeah, kind of pointless ripping out the roof seals if it's a window adjustment problem! :mrgreen:

i'd have done the silicone trick first if it wasn't the window. the seals are a fortune and who cares if the t-bar seal has a bit of black silicone on it, for the 3 days in summer you'd actually get to see it :D don't think i even had the t-tops off once last summer despite the good weather, i used the bike everyday :( should have bought a tip top.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

My passenger sides leaks a bit in heavy rain but my drivers side seems to rattle inside the mechanism. That pi$$es me off even more!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”