Poxy leaking t-bar

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaffacake

Poxy leaking t-bar

Post by Jaffacake »

As you have probably gathered I'm close to breaking point now with my damn t-bar seals leaking. Didn't start off to bad when I first bought the car only let a few drips in during heavy rain now it just pours in during a light drizzle. Have tried the silicone trick with not much joy. Before u all say it I no the best fix will be new seals but there rather pricey so last ditch attempt anyone got any bright ideas or tried and tested methods befor I bite the bullet and get new ones. Cheers guys. P.s can u only get new seals from mr Toyota or is there newer else? :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Re: Poxy leaking t-bar

Post by HighwayStar »

As far as I know you can only get them from Mr T but you need to consider from Mr T where? I got mine from the US ... Dallas toyota I recall, a few years ago now and even with shipping and tax they were half the price of Mr T here in the UK. The exchange rate was better then but it isn't too bad right now.

R.
craig

Post by craig »

There is no decent bodge fix. New seals is the only way to do it properly.

Cling film, chewing gum, sealant, plasters, pritt stick, all no good. Do it once, do it properly with new seals and they'll last years. :thumleft:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Toyota also sell an 'eccentric' rod guide to help with this problem. However as you have already seen for yourself anything you do other than replace the seals is going to be temporary- I will face the same problem myself when my car goes back on the road.
Jaffacake

Post by Jaffacake »

Thanks for the advice guys. Suppose it's time to part with some more money and buy new seals. Just read a how to guide on here doesn't seem too bad of a job sure it'll try my patients a bit tho, we will see. Don't suppose ne1 knows part numbers for drivers side do they? Gonna do my side first I think, sod the gf her side can wait lol :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

touch wood I fixed the drivers side leak using the silicon trick. I have a bead running across the tbar glass parallel to the roof seal and now it only drips slightly and only when driving in the rain, proof I suppose that tbars do indeed flex on the road.
Jaffacake

Post by Jaffacake »

raptor95GTS wrote:touch wood I fixed the drivers side leak using the silicon trick. I have a bead running across the tbar glass parallel to the roof seal and now it only drips slightly and only when driving in the rain, proof I suppose that tbars do indeed flex on the road.

Not heard/thought of that idea before, makes sense tho. Worth a quick try while I'm waiting for new seals to get delivered cheers. :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I've just imported two sets for Craig and Dan with a massive saving over UK dealer prices.

Forum rules prohibit me from posting prices in this forum, so i'll post in my forum and provide a link.

I'll be reordering next week.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

when I took the drivers side tbar out and turned it over I could see a moisture line that lined up with that seal, so I figured what the heck and put some silicon on that line (after wiping it dry obv!). No doubt I'll go out and find a pond in the car now I've posted this but a dry seat so far this winter which is about as good a test as we'll ever get !
RST

Post by RST »

It really does make sense to get proper new seals. I remember on my first T-Bar -it started off as a drip, then a torrent. I pulled Gaffer tape, silicone and all sorts of guff packing out of there. Just bite the bullet and get new seals + eccentric rods. I know allot of guys with T-Tops say they avoid the hassle at T-bars and moonroofs always leak bla bla, but there is something very nice about it chucking down, looking up and seeing daylight without bothering about getting wet! It's well worth it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RST wrote:It really does make sense to get proper new seals. I remember on my first T-Bar -it started off as a drip, then a torrent. I pulled Gaffer tape, silicone and all sorts of guff packing out of there. Just bite the bullet and get new seals + eccentric rods. I know allot of guys with T-Tops say they avoid the hassle at T-bars and moonroofs always leak bla bla, but there is something very nice about it chucking down, looking up and seeing daylight without bothering about getting wet! It's well worth it.

not to mention that one day in summer when you can take the roof off, i;d gladly put up with all the problems of the t-bar for this :thumleft:

however, i've yet to have a leak that the silicone trick hasn't fixed, and my current mr2 doesn't even leak at all :D :D
planted1

Post by planted1 »

I have new seals and mine still leaked,
i fitted new eccentric guides and mine still leaked,
all four drain holes and drain tubes were blocked,
i cleaned them out and its a helluva lot better.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

The solution is to buy a tintop car! :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Race Idiot wrote:The solution is to buy a tintop car! :lol:

na, the experience with the tops off is awesome, i'd happily take a soaking wet leg everyday if it meant keeping the t-bar :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Ive had tintop and tbar, much prefer tbar even with leaks..
My temporary trick??.....

Black bags on seats to collect water and empty each time i use it :mrgreen:
RST

Post by RST »

ick??.....

Black bags on seats to collect water and empty each time i use it [Mr. Green]

...ashamed to say I've done this in the past temporary also until I could fix the problem. It's getting the residual moisture out the rest of the car which takes longer!
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Rubber shrinks and hardens with age. This can be delayed with periodic use of a rubber restorer/rejuvenator. If you have a garage, use this on all the tbars rubbers and leave the tbars off the car over night. This will give the rubber chance to expand again. If you dont want the expense of buying new tbar rubbers, do this 2-3 times a year.

Even with new tbar rubber, there is some wiggle room with how the tbar glass fits and locks down onto the car. Just have to vary it until you find what works for that car as they are all a little bit different.
RST

Post by RST »

^^^^yea yea yea
david123

Post by david123 »

planted1 wrote:I have new seals and mine still leaked,

how did you unblock the holes? and tubes?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

david123 wrote:
planted1 wrote:I have new seals and mine still leaked,

how did you unblock the holes? and tubes?

i've heard all sorts to do this, some guys leave them in a hot bath, i even read somebody stuck them in a dishwasher.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”