mk1b with 173bhp 3SGE conversion and releathered interior

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PsychomIKE

mk1b with 173bhp 3SGE conversion and releathered interior

Post by PsychomIKE »

Hi there,

The time has come to sell my 1989 G reg'd mk1b MR2. Converted by Paul Woods in 2008 the car has a 173BHP 3SGE taken from a '96 Toyota Celica GT. This makes it quite a rarity, the only one in the UK that I'm aware of, but also means that a turbo lump can be dropped in easily if more power is your thing. Having said that I have always enjoyed the engine/chassis combination with a lot more torque than the standard 4AGE, a glorious throaty engine note and a strong 7.25k rev limit.

Also unusual about the car is that a previous owner sent the seats and steering wheel to Italy to be re-leathered in the original black. I've previously owned another leather t-bar and I can vouch that the leather used on this is much thicker and higher quality than that used by Toyota. The rest of the black interior is also in good condition, especially the leather gear stick (original type) and door cards. If you're into breaking cars to build a concours example then this might appeal to you. I'm not looking to personally break the car though. The car also features a Sony headunit and 10 disc CD changer. It also had a CAT 1 Hornet alarm fitted last year after the previous CAT 1 TOAD began to fail and comes with 2 keys/fobs.

The car comes fitted with black with polished lip 15" Rota GT3 wheels and 195/50 tyres. I suspect 2 tyres will need replacing though. There are a few knocks on the wheels but nothing a professional restore couldn't sort. I also think they're the best looking wheel for an otherwise standard mk1 and the larger tyre size offers a bit more grip without compromising the mk1 handling IMHO.

I have the inside panels for the t-glass and the t-top itself still seals well. Only in heavy rain do I find it leaks at all and that is just drips from the apex of the window glass.

The chassis itself appears fairly solid though I've not been under it myself for over a year now. It has covered 140k though you would not think it. It has also been polybushed and sat on Koni adjustable dampers and springs with a 25mm drop.

The car was badly vandalised in 2007 and so the nearside and most of the top facing panels were fully resprayed. I also had the rear A, B and C panels for the rear arch fitted at that time and that area is still completely solid and shows no signs of rust. However the nearside and beam at the top of the windscreen shows the usual red paint fade and has some areas of rusting that need attention. I was quotted £1k to have this all repaired as well as a full respray (incl windscreen out and new beam) to give you an idea of what's involved. But for anyone who fancies a project, or a car for parts, then this would be cheaper.

So a recap...

Good points

3SGE 173BHP courtesy of Woodsport
Releathered seats and steering wheel
Koni springs and adjustable dampers
SW20 rev1 gearbox
15" Rota GT3 alloys
SS Magnex exhaust
Aftermarket air filter
Nearside A, B and C rear arch panels professionally fitted
Nearside and most top panels resprayed
Solid chassis
T-Bar
10CD Sony audio
Hornet CAT 1 alarm (12 months old)
EDIT: T-bar interior trim panels and holding bags

Bad points

Offside rear arch rusted
Windscreen frame rusted
Paint fade along offside
MOT and TAX expired

Details of the swap can be viewed on the twobrutal forum here - http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showth ... a-Mk1-swap

*EDIT* Didn't realise I had to name a price sorry. In that case I'll say £1k but I'm open to offers. I'm based in Bedminster, south Bristol.

I've really no idea what to ask for this sale and would really be happy with a quick sale but I'd genuinely like to keep the car 'in the club', so to speak.

Feel free to ask me any questions via PM or give me a call on 0740 322 1631

I'm sure there's more to add, and I shall try to get some pictures on here later. In the meantime there are some images and details about the engine over on the twobrutal thread linked above.

Edited for pictures

Cheers all
Mike
Last edited by PsychomIKE on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 am, edited 8 times in total.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: mk1b with 173bhp 3SGE conversion and releathered interior

Post by Peter Gidden »

PsychomIKE wrote:I've really no idea what to ask for this sale

All IMOC sale adverts require a price please, else advert will be removed.
jonnie m

for sale

Post by jonnie m »

any pics anytime soon, thanking you?
PsychomIKE

Re: for sale

Post by PsychomIKE »

jonnie m wrote:any pics anytime soon, thanking you?

Hi Jonnie. No I've not managed any pics yet. It's dark when I set off for work and dark by the time I come home. I've tried taking pics with my mobile but you can barely make out there's a mk1 MR2 there!

I shall endeavor to take some this weekend though.

Cheers
jonnie m

Re: for sale

Post by jonnie m »

PsychomIKE wrote:
jonnie m wrote:any pics anytime soon, thanking you?

Hi Jonnie. No I've not managed any pics yet. It's dark when I set off for work and dark by the time I come home. I've tried taking pics with my mobile but you can barely make out there's a mk1 MR2 there!

I shall endeavor to take some this weekend though.

Cheers
you either work too much or you live in reykjavic?? in which case is it collection only? thanks, jonnie m .
Muscles
Premium Member

Post by Muscles »

Piccy's please.
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

Lol Jonnie, I probably am working a bit too much lately.

I've tried putting images into the first post. Doesn't appear to be working though. Can someone suggest how to fix that?
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Last edited by matt-mr2 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
j0ns

Post by j0ns »

Pictures still not working for me.
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

j0ns wrote:Pictures still not working for me.

I changed the links. Do they work now?
j0ns

Post by j0ns »

Yep :thumleft: Have you got any detailed pictures of the rust?
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

j0ns wrote:Yep :thumleft: Have you got any detailed pictures of the rust?

Yes mate, just took some more though the focus is pretty poor.

First lot show the worst of the rust. The others are the nearside arches which are ok.

And the decent side

j0ns

Post by j0ns »

Awesome looking car, this time last year I would of had it straight away but too much work for me right now :(

Good luck with the sale!
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

Remembered that I also have the interior T-bar panels and holding bags to go with the car. These are in excellent condition.

The price is just a rough guide and all offers considered.

Cheers
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

No takers? I'll put it on ebay if not but would have thought the seats and interior be a tidy addition to a mint mk1 project or the car as a basis for an (already solid) project.

All offers welcome.

Cheers

Return to “MR2s for Sale”