Mk2 on fire, M66

Seen another MR2 when you were out and about? Find out if it was another IMOCer here.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: Mk2 on fire, M66

Post by ashley »

New modification added to my car's wishlist: fully plumbed in fire extinguisher system
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

ashley wrote:New modification added to my car's wishlist: fully plumbed in fire extinguisher system

Yep, got one for Nobby. Will be plumbing in hard lines when engine is out. :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
ashley wrote:New modification added to my car's wishlist: fully plumbed in fire extinguisher system

Yep, got one for Nobby. Will be plumbing in hard lines when engine is out. :thumleft:

I have a 2ltr hand held one, but think I'll be going plumbed in system.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Would just be a case of a hardline that pulls a pin from the cockpit? :-k

For a daily driver is it difficult to have a plumbed in fire extinguisher?

Seems a small price to pay for something you can wash away in the event of preventing such a disaster :-k
craig

Post by craig »

juliankv73 wrote:

Would just be a case of a hardline that pulls a pin from the cockpit? :-k

For a daily driver is it difficult to have a plumbed in fire extinguisher?

Seems a small price to pay for something you can wash away in the event of preventing such a disaster :-k

Yeah, nozzles in engine bay, with a pull catch up front. Daily driver car can have a plumbed in extinguisher.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I need to investigate the options, I think you can get systems like you describe, there are also electronically activated ones I think.

Can't think why it would be an issue on a daily drive car? Maybe mount the tank in the frunk :-k
ashley

Post by ashley »

craig

Post by craig »

michaeljapp

Post by michaeljapp »

Gutted for the owner, hopefully something can be salvaged.

Peter if you do find the cause would you be kind enough to post it up so we can check over our cars?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

michaeljapp wrote:Peter if you do find the cause would you be kind enough to post it up so we can check over our cars?

I've had a quick look this afternoon. Unfortunately looking from above, the engine bay is comprehesively destroyed.

However, looking from underneath, the downpipe, B pipe, sump, lower bulkhead, engine mount and turbo underside are completely undamaged, not even smoke damaged, suggesting the fire was not caused by a burst oil pipe or hose leaking oil onto the exhauast system.

The underside rear of the engine is badly damaged. The wiring loom is totally destroyed. Obviously i can't tell what ignited first, and what was burned in the fire.

A fuel fire would ignite so quickly you'd probably near jump out whilst the car was moving, yet Kong was able to pull up and get out.

So right now, it's looking electrical.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Sad and painful to see.
Luckily Kong is OK.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Just spotted this, awful news :(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Thankfully as mine was used for hillclimbing previously it came with one in.

Not something I'd ever really have considered for an MR2.
JD

Post by JD »

That's a shame. All the best to the owner and hopefully something can be salvaged.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Really sad news, glad owner is ok!
I had oil dripping onto my exhaust manifold (possibly from rocker gasket?) and when i pulled up the oil was in flames.. Lucky it was only a little and i had a 5litre bottle of water :-#
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Hi guys, thanks for all the support. This car is literally like a family member to me - it's been with me about 9 years - so yes sad times.

Yes a fire extinguisher would have been very handy and I have about 6 old ones that I replaced at work not so long ago that would have worked just fine :eye:

I personally think it was alternator related as I went through a massive motorway puddle before Christmas that caused my car to misfire very badly and then cut out - I got the usual alternator lights then.

The car restarted after it dried out but this was the first time I had tried to drive it since that happened and about 5 minutes before the fire I had the same misfiring occur (the first 10 miles were perfect which led me to think the alternator had survived ok). Anyway at least I was able to pull onto the hardshoulder safely.

Some parts on the car are very rare and hard to obtain so the undamaged bits will live on I'm sure - although it may be hard to convince my wife! :thumleft:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

It's sad to see the car that way, but good news that you got out ok with no injuries... metal can be replaced, humans can't

Hope it can be easily salvaged and the parts go towards another one
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

Sorry to hear about your car. The main thing I guess is you're ok but from experience I know it's no real consolation. Do you think you will manage to get this one back on the road or is the damage too bad? Good luck in future.

Sam
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

The car is too damaged to rebuild.

As a small consolation, some expensive parts escaped damage and will be removed for sale.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:The car is too damaged to rebuild.

As a small consolation, some expensive parts escaped damage and will be removed for sale.

Totally gutted for you Kong, sad times

Return to “Spotted”