Bogging down on hard acceleration/load

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

archangel

Bogging down on hard acceleration/load

Post by archangel »

Hi peeps,

Have a strange problem. Had some work done and car was driving fine. Then alternator died and just before it went kaput the car was bogging down and struggling to get me to the closest service station but I made it in the end. Figured it was just struggling to power the fuel pump, injectors properly (battery light was on by that point and when I stopped alternator was smoking). Anyway it's been sitting on the drive for a while and we've changed the alternator and now it starts and idles fine, no warning lights but if you open the throttle quickly it splutters and then goes to about 2000rpm and just sits there spluttering.
However if you open the throttle slowly it goes up the rev range ok and the throttle response to WOT when it's in the higher rpms is normal.
When the engine is under load like when trying to drive the car, especially on an incline it hits the limit and splutters and stalls.

Any idea what's causing this?

I have a rev1 turbo with mines ecu

Thanks
bobhatton

Re: Bogging down on hard acceleration/load

Post by bobhatton »

archangel wrote:Hi peeps,

Have a strange problem. Had some work done and car was driving fine. Then alternator died and just before it went kaput the car was bogging down and struggling to get me to the closest service station but I made it in the end. Figured it was just struggling to power the fuel pump, injectors properly (battery light was on by that point and when I stopped alternator was smoking). Anyway it's been sitting on the drive for a while and we've changed the alternator and now it starts and idles fine, no warning lights but if you open the throttle quickly it splutters and then goes to about 2000rpm and just sits there spluttering.
However if you open the throttle slowly it goes up the rev range ok and the throttle response to WOT when it's in the higher rpms is normal.
When the engine is under load like when trying to drive the car, especially on an incline it hits the limit and splutters and stalls.

Any idea what's causing this?

I have a rev1 turbo with mines ecu

Thanks

And your fault codes are?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

bobhatton wrote:And your fault codes are?

I tried to check this earlier but it doesn't seem to respond when bridging the diagnostic contacts like my Rev3 would. Do you by any chance know if they need a different approach to finding fault codes or should it be the same?

If you work the throttle up then you can kind of rev it but if you just open the throttle sharply it bogs right down. It feels like fueling trouble but I'm not sure which way yet. Might be overfuelling and bogging down, or not getting enough. Fuel pump is a Walbro I think.
archangel

Post by archangel »

:(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

is the CAT still in place??
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

Checking the fault codes is normally the best way to check. However if the CEL is not coming on then hmmmm.

Have you checked your ignirion leads? Also Earth Straps if youve been at the alternator?
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

could be a faulty ecu, read about similar issues with stock ecu's and their capacitors failing/leaking, not sure if this affects the mines ecu?

worth trying a stock rev1 ecu or opening yours up and looking for leaks.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

if your not seeing the engine light flash when bridging te1 and e1, then you havent bridged them correctly. keep on fiddling and it should flash and give you codes if there are any.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:if your not seeing the engine light flash when bridging te1 and e1, then you havent bridged them correctly. keep on fiddling and it should flash and give you codes if there are any.

this ^^^^, mine are a total bu88er to bridge, keep playing with them.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The recent rainy weather has stopped me going out and playing with electrics but managed to get out this evening to disconnect the charger and I thought I'd have another go at bridging the contacts. Success this time. As the battery had gone flat, it was clear so I ran it up for a few minutes and it was seriously misbehaving again so off I go to check codes...

....nothing. All clear :-k

It fires up nice and sharp, idles for a few seconds and then drops right off before it stalls. If you can catch it with the throttle before it cuts out completely then you can keep it running in a spluttery mess.

I had considered a possible AFM failure but that would throw a code surely?
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

I had this issue of running a couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be the afm, it was slightly sticking so waggled the flap open and shut a few times and sprayed some gt85 in it.

Now works well again, worth a quick look as its only a few mins to get it out of the car.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

philmr2 wrote:I had this issue of running a couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be the afm, it was slightly sticking so waggled the flap open and shut a few times and sprayed some gt85 in it.

Now works well again, worth a quick look as its only a few mins to get it out of the car.

Might just give that a go. I did notice the odd metallic clank every now and again when I last looked into it and thought something had dropped down towards the compressor but it wasn't consistent. If that sorts it then I'm happy with that. Will let you know how it goes.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'd 100% check your ECU. I had a leaky capacitor which caused very similar issues. Some times it woud run just fine then cough and complain before being dead. It slowly got worse till the car wouldn't even start. I ended up swapping out the ECU and bang.. sorted. :thumleft:

Just a though take the cover off and check.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Checked the AFM and sprayed some GT-85 inside which had no real effect. It was able to idle again but not rev cleanly. Replaced it with a second hand one I managed to acquire and that produced the same result.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare ECU to try. I do wonder if that could have something to do with it though. I noticed one of the ECU fuses which should be 7.5A has been replaced with a 10A one.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Tried changing the ecu but still having the same problem. Here is a video to display the symptoms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEoZ1P ... ata_player
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

If you are near Swindon, Wiltshire I have a stock rev 1 ecu you can try. Really sorry but I am not willing to post it out though, sound mean I know but I did this a couple of years back to help some one out and I never saw the parts back again - and they sold the car with the parts on it.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks mate but i've tried swapping the ecu with a stock rev1 tubby ecu and it behaves exactly the same. So its not ecu or afm. Could it be some sensors?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

archangel wrote:Thanks mate but i've tried swapping the ecu with a stock rev1 tubby ecu and it behaves exactly the same. So its not ecu or afm. Could it be some sensors?

is the CAT still on the car?? my first turbo had bother with the cat, wouldn't boost, best way to describe it was "bogging down". replaced with a decat, problem solved. my CAT temp warning light would come on under hard driving though.
archangel

Post by archangel »

No the cat has been removed already
archangel

Post by archangel »

Ok guys. Just to post some feedback. We tried a few things afm, and ignition related but it was still exhibiting the same behaviour. Took off the fuel rail and checked it and replaced seals on injectors. Still no good. Checked fuel feed to the fuel rail and plenty of fuel coming out. Connected fuel rail and checked running fuel pump with return feed disconnected and no fuel coming out. Replaced rail and still same. Suspected fuel pump so tank came out, etc. in the end found a split in the pipe coming off the fuel pump so although it was feeding fuel it was just leaking out under pressure. Now up and running again. Thanks Luke and nick at pacific works.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”