[Mk2] [Turbo] rev 3 stock oil cooler delete and aftermarket kit, does one exist?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mark239

[Mk2] [Turbo] rev 3 stock oil cooler delete and aftermarket kit, does one exist?

Post by mark239 »

Is there a rev 3 remote oil cooler kit out of the box anywhere?

I want to remove the stock rev 3 cooler as it fouls on my new manifold, and I don't want to modify the manifold!

I'm only looking a kit as I want to get it all sorted asap.

Ta
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev 3 stock oil cooler delete and aftermarket kit, does one exist?

Post by bobhatton »

mark239 wrote:Is there a rev 3 remote oil cooler kit out of the box anywhere?

I want to remove the stock rev 3 cooler as it fouls on my new manifold, and I don't want to modify the manifold!

I'm only looking a kit as I want to get it all sorted asap.

Ta

No.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev 3 stock oil cooler delete and aftermarket kit, does one exist?

Post by afennell »

Didn't Phoenix power do one?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Removing the stock oil cooler might be a bad idea, as it helps the oil warm up initially. (OK, just saw why you want to remove it)

If you do get an external kit, make sure you get decent braided hose connections I broke down 3 times with rubber hoses (that someone on here sold me as a "kit") popping off and spewing oil everywhere. Also, it's easy to over-cool the oil, so get a thermostat in the system for sure.

See here for the system I made to fit where the SMIC previously was: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174796

Even with my thermostatic sandwhich plate, the oil is barely warm enough and sits about 83°C on an motorway cruise where previously it would have been 110°C (or more on a hot summer's day). I only fitted the cooler because oil temps on the Nurburgring were pushing 130°C which was a bit higher than I was happy with, given a mineral oil would start breaking down at that point. However opinion varies and I think I'm probably now at too cold rather than too hot.
mark239

Post by mark239 »

Just made one up from mocal parts, side exit takeoff plate, thermostat and cooler.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

shinny wrote:Removing the stock oil cooler might be a bad idea, as it helps the oil warm up initially. (OK, just saw why you want to remove it)

If you do get an external kit, make sure you get decent braided hose connections I broke down 3 times with rubber hoses (that someone on here sold me as a "kit") popping off and spewing oil everywhere. Also, it's easy to over-cool the oil, so get a thermostat in the system for sure.

See here for the system I made to fit where the SMIC previously was: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174796

Even with my thermostatic sandwhich plate, the oil is barely warm enough and sits about 83°C on an motorway cruise where previously it would have been 110°C (or more on a hot summer's day). I only fitted the cooler because oil temps on the Nurburgring were pushing 130°C which was a bit higher than I was happy with, given a mineral oil would start breaking down at that point. However opinion varies and I think I'm probably now at too cold rather than too hot.

Oil should be at 120c to 150c. 180c is as high as it should go and no lower than 110c
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
shinny

Post by shinny »

bobhatton wrote:Oil should be at 120c to 150c. 180c is as high as it should go and no lower than 110c

So I hear from various sources... but then again, oil 'stats are around 80°C, oil gauges tend to have warnings set 110-120°C and mineral oils break down around 130°C. And there is so much advice out there in the range of 85-110°C being about right. Leaves me darn confused!

I guess there is also the question of your intent? I would think that, within bounds, a cooler oil (80--100°C) will lubricate better but provide more physical resistance than a hotter oil (130°C+). So perhaps racing applications will aim to run hotter oil than road cars?
Nic

Post by Nic »

It's good to regularly get the oil above 100C to boil off any moisture.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “Modifications”