MOT failed - advice needed.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

MOT failed - advice needed.

Post by widster »

Put my car in for it's Mot today. Failed on windscreen washer and horn not working. The washer is just the switch. Not sure about the horn yet but I'm hopeful I can sort that relatively easily.

It also failed on 'n/s front lower anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint' which I think is the drop link? Does anyone know the best place to get one of these?

Also, 'n/s front lower front suspension ball joint dust cover damaged'. Not sure where I can get a new dust cover from. Does anyone have a spare one I could buy or can you buy them new?

Finally, I need a new rubber seal for the n/s front brake caliper. It's not failed on this just advised to prevent corrosion. The old one has a big tear in it.

Thanks for any help you can give. I need some good luck as my main car, 13 year old A4, is in the garage with a suspected blown engine :(
jon_st205

Re: MOT failed - advice needed.

Post by jon_st205 »

Good result, all very easily fixed.

The horns see a lot of corrosion but worst case is a few quid for an aftermarket one.

Second point is, yes, drop link. If on a budget just get one from ebay. You'll likely need to grind the old one off. Ideally you should do the pair of fronts at the same time - makes sense to do so.

You can't change the ball joint dust cover, at least not as a DIY-er. Just get a new ball joint from the bay. 30 mins to change that.

You can get a set of the slider dust seals from the bay too. Get some red rubber-safe grease and give them a good grease up while you change them :thumleft:
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Ebay is your friend

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-SLIDE-A-B ... 27dc7e964c

Not trying to sound miserable but, I'm always amazed by the number of times people post looking for parts etc. and don't try the obvious.

Rant over

Alan
Ben

Post by Ben »

You will be able to get all of these parts from your local Toyota dealer. Give them a try, the prices are often very reasonable :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks for the replies. I know you can get parts off eBay but just concerned about quality.

I'm trying to sort the horn out now. I've connected it to a battery and it works even if it sounds feeble, always did! When I push the horn on the steering wheel the relay clicks and that's all. I think maybe I need another relay. Just trying to locate it...
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Worst case just wire up a new button with a 12v feed direct to the horn, will get you through the MOT and then you can take it back out.

Toyota can be surprisingly cheap for some things but IME are horribly expensive for stuff like ball joints - ie. >£100.

Just look for known brands when buying parts on the bay - eg for the ball joint:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lemforder-Fro ... 4d13fb88bf

The unbranded stuff tends to be Chinese and, while it may be fine, will probably not last as long as proper OE-equivalent stuff.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I recently bought my rear ball joints from Camskill for £12.50 each plus postage.

They arrived and they are made by Blue Print.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

GSF on Parker Drive or Parkers on Belgrave Gate usually have everything you need. I use to use Macpa on Central Street but they are hit and miss these days. Parkers are good as there open 9-3 on Sunday.
widster

Post by widster »

Good advice there. I've bought a ball joint and drop links off eBay. The drop links might not last too long but I don't do too many miles and at least will get me through the MOT.

When the horn is pushed on the steering wheel there is a relay type noise only although I now realise there is no relay as such. I think it must be the horn on the drivers side not working as i've established that the horn in the middle at the front works when connected directly to a battery. Is it possible that when one isn't working the other won't either? I've ordered an aftermarket horn also off eBay so hopefully if I swap the drivers one I'll be ok.

Thanks for the replies anyway. Very helpful :thumleft:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

You car will be quite legal with just one horn working & will pass MoT

I removed one from my car as part of my weight saving programme :)
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
widster

Post by widster »

elbon50 wrote:You car will be quite legal with just one horn working & will pass MoT

I removed one from my car as part of my weight saving programme :)

Hi. I've managed to get them both working now thanks. The one on the passenger side (sorry I said drivers side before by mistake) isn't great though so I'm going to replace that one. At least it will pass on that now. Slowly working my way through my fail list! :)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I had an issue with my horns not working
and it was down to the steering wheel horn pusher,
If you remove the cover you will see that to sound the horn there are
four little copper pins that push on a plate to make the connection,
mine we're corroded, just a rub over with every paper not only fixed my horns but it made them louder, this must be because I have improved the circuit.

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
widster

Post by widster »

oukie wrote:I had an issue with my horns not working
and it was down to the steering wheel horn pusher,
If you remove the cover you will see that to sound the horn there are
four little copper pins that push on a plate to make the connection,
mine we're corroded, just a rub over with every paper not only fixed my horns but it made them louder, this must be because I have improved the circuit.

Chris

Thanks for that. I'll have a look to see if this is also the case :thumleft:
widster

Post by widster »

Well washers and horn now working. I always wondered why my horn sounded so weedy. I didn't realise that there were two and only one was working. At least I stand a chance of someone hearing me now!

I've had the ball joint delivered. It was off eBay but sold by Eurocarparts and it looks pretty decent quality. Going to swap it at the weekend along with the drop links. Thanks for the link :thumleft: Feels good to be getting jobs done on the car after a break :) .
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

The balljoint can be difficult to separate from the track control arm
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
2011 Honda Civic Type R
widster

Post by widster »

I've got a separator tool, the one with the groove in it that you hit with a hammer. Hopefully this is up to the job. I've got the weekend to do it so fingers crossed I can sort it out!
widster

Post by widster »

Decided to start on my suspension this evening. Managed to undo the bottom drop link bolt but the top one wasn't turning at all and ended up rounding it. I used penetrating oil on it first but to no avail. I started using a hacksaw but that didn't work. I decided to get the grinder on it being careful to not cut through my brake hose. All went well until I realised I'd also took away some of the mounting bracket on the suspension arm! I've bolted it back up but I think only option now is to replace the arm itself in case it fails under load. Does anyone know the best place to find one? A lesson learnt :oops:
widster

Post by widster »

Just took car for MOT and it's now passed! I've managed to build up a list of jobs to do, notably replacing the alternator and some rust proofing, but at least the car's road legal :D
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

widster wrote:Just took car for MOT and it's now passed! I've managed to build up a list of jobs to do, notably replacing the alternator and some rust proofing, but at least the car's road legal :D

Good :!:

Well done Paul
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
2011 Honda Civic Type R

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”