[Mk2] [Turbo] EFR turbo install

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Wingers

[Mk2] [Turbo] EFR turbo install

Post by Wingers »

Finally getting around to fitting this. I'm a way off getting it running just yet as I need to sort out intake and exhaust still but it looks like it should fit in...just.
:)

Wingers
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] EFR turbo install

Post by ashley »

Woooooo.....twinscroll too...... =P~ =P~ =P~
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

yup. Should be interesting to see how it compares to the GT3076.
ashley

Post by ashley »

What turbo is it?
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

EFR 7064

It's got the Gamma-Ti turbine wheel so I'm hoping that and the twin scroll will work together to keep the low speed performance up.
They'll need to in order to offset the relatively poor bottom-end associated with the 0.92A/R on the turbine housing. On the plus side, that should allow the engine to breath freely at the top.

In theory it all works out, but that's relying on the new technology performance being as good as Borg Warner claims it to be. I guess time will tell...

Wingers
ashley

Post by ashley »

Very interested to see how this performs- if you believe the sales pitch this could be an ideal turbo for our cars, it should spank the 3076 at the top end!

Hurry up and get it running :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Just been reading about them. Sounds like a recipe for great things, so I'm eager to hear what the results are like.

The GT3076 is a great turbo, however there's certainly room for improvement. This seems to offer that improvement :thumleft:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I have s GT 3076 not installed yet. Where do you feel it could improve on? Is ir too laggy?
ashley

Post by ashley »

EFR 7064 is an excellent turbocharger for drift, road racing and street driven applications. The 7064 delivers incredibly fast spool and response while working well on stock and heavily modified engines. The 70mm OD compressor has a 52.2mm inducer and at 56lb/min max flow - there is potential for 560hp - unheard of for this size compressor wheel. The low inertia 64mm Gamma-Ti turbine wheel is the optimal match for the 70mm FMW compressor wheel and is capable of 45+psi boost. This turbo uses the mid-size EFR ported-shroud compressor housing, great for fitment in cramped engine bays. Ideal for use in single turbo applications for the 350-560hp range, or as twin turbo applications 650-1000+hp. Ceramic Ball Bearing only, watercooling recommended.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I've been really happy with the 3076 but its established technology. I like trying new things and I think the efr could be the future of turbocharging so am keen to try it.
In theory it will beat the 3076 by spooling up sooner for an equivalent sized turbo. The down side is that its about twice the price!

Wingers
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

See yourself as the pioneer then. Spending the money so we don't have to, yet.. :wink:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Haha. I'm not sure about that but I was just in the right place at the right time to get a turbo that is difficult to get hold of right now.

Wingers
toyokid

Borg Warner

Post by toyokid »

How is the turbo performing?
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

So far so good.
I haven't really pushed the limits as I've not gone above a bar or so of boost but it spools up quickly and seems to perform well at that boost level.
The only down side is that I'm not sure the turbo speed sensor is working properly, but if that that may well be because I've not installed it with the correct gap. Still need to look into that one...
Unfortunately I've had a lot of other stuff to do recently so haven't spent much time on the mr2 :(

Wingers
ashley

Post by ashley »

Have you had it on a dyno? Would be very interested to see some plots to compare to the GT turbos.... :whistle:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I have had it on a dyno but if I post the curves then I'll never be able to sell my Garrett!
:wink:

I'll dig some out but be warned, there aren't any big numbers to get excited about at this boost level :(

Wingers
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Here are a couple of curves to compare the EFR (grey) to the Garrett (white).

The EFR made 258bhp at 0.5bar and the same engine made 371 at 1.2bar with the GT3076. The gains can be seen in the boost curve though as it picks up a lot earlier for a similar sized turbo.

Power curve:

Boost curve:

Wingers
ashley

Post by ashley »

That looks nice and responsive! So have you mapped for 0.5bar or 1bar? You mentioned 1 bar above...

You need to run some boost through that turbo- the real gains will be at the top end, can't wait to see the legs on it!!

Good work :thumleft:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

No, 1 bar was my mistake. I've only mapped to 0.5bar so far.

I'm looking forward to winding it up but I want to do some other work to the car first and it probably won't happen until the weather picks up if I'm honest :(

Wingers
ashley

Post by ashley »

Guess we'll just have to wait then mate..... :mrgreen:

Return to “Modifications”