[Mk2] [NA] can you fit after market steering wheel on rev 5?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ceejay

[Mk2] [NA] can you fit after market steering wheel on rev 5?

Post by ceejay »

Can you fit a particular aftermarket wheel and boss on a rev 5 with airbag.. I understand that the airbag light will be constantly on.. Just seeing if its doable..

Car : mr2 mk2 rev5 NA UK model

Cheers

Craig
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] can you fit after market steering wheel on rev 5?

Post by Peter Gidden »

Yes you can.

Don't forget to inform your insurance company.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I have a feeling there was a change to mot regs so any dash warning lights illuminated becomes a fail. Might be wrong but worth checking.
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

VGB wrote:I have a feeling there was a change to mot regs so any dash warning lights illuminated becomes a fail. Might be wrong but worth checking.

Correct and pulling the bulb won't work anymore either, as they have to light up....then go out
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

RikH77 wrote:
VGB wrote:I have a feeling there was a change to mot regs so any dash warning lights illuminated becomes a fail. Might be wrong but worth checking.

Correct and pulling the bulb won't work anymore either, as they have to light up....then go out

Correct.

Only way is to remove the complete airbag system i.e. component parts.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

A resistor fitted to the airbag wiring would allow the light to operate correctly

chris
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Yes you can.

That you removed the air bag?
mr2matt

Post by mr2matt »

Hi ceejay

Yes! You can very easily change to an aftermarket wheel on a UK rev 5, I have one too and just changed my steering wheel back in November. You don't need to disconnect the battery, although as a safety precaution it won't do any harm, I disconnected mine, but that's because I was following a guide for a rev 4 ](*,) The airbag in the rev 5 isn't an electically fired one, it has it's own self contained impact trigger that sets off a firing pin (so don't drop it :lol:), also when you start your ignition, have you ever actually seen an SRS light on your dash :wink: it shouldn't have one, so no MOT failure, no bulb pulling or resistors, just remove the airbag, then change wheel as you would normally. Depending on what boss kit you use, wiring the horn in might be a pain in the a** but is a legal requirement so make sure it works (remember to reconnect the battery before you test it - another thing I forgot in my rush)

I'm afraid when I changed my wheel I never took any photos as I was far too excited to get my new wheel fitted :roll:

However this isn't the first time I've seen questions regarding the UK Rev 5 wheel, so I'm sure I have time to do a guide for it, is there anyone else who would find this useful?

Also just to be sure, your steering wheel does have 2 horn buttons right (1 each side of the airbag centre)?

Oh and platmatt8, as Peter said yes you do need to inform your insurance company as you are removing a rather major safety device from your vehicle, in fact if you want to be really nitty gritty about, you're technically supposed to inform them about any and all stickers and decals as well, y'know cause each one adds +5bhp :lol:

Please let me know if this has been useful :)

Matt
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

platmatt8 wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Yes you can.

That you removed the air bag?

Absolutely! a) it's a modification to the OEM specification. and b) as mr2matt says, it's a major OEM safety feature.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

cheers for the advice guys...

mr2matt now you have explained the process it does not seem to be to hard! yes mine has the horn buttons either side.

if you do a guide let me know as it will help me out massively..

im guessing the boss kit id need would be a momo rev3+ as they dont do anything newer :)

thanks again guys!

Craig
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

I spoke to a mechanic mate and he said "I'm not 100% but I have heard that the new MOT regs state if it left the factory with an airbag it must be fitted. No only in the steering wheel but in seats too."
Doesn't worry my car but worth keeping in mind
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

+1 on the mechanical air bag on a Rev5 (UK NA at least). See my post, with pictures. No SRS warning light.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Davsurfa wrote:I spoke to a mechanic mate and he said "I'm not 100% but I have heard that the new MOT regs state if it left the factory with an airbag it must be fitted. No only in the steering wheel but in seats too."

ABS, airbag systems etc can be removed and the car still pass a test.
RST

Post by RST »

I thought the rules now were that if it were supposed to be fitted in the Factory then it still had to be fitted to pass the MoT. I just assumed when they put your VIN in then it would flag up. Maybe not. If not then that's allot more sensible IMO.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

RST wrote:I thought the rules now were that if it were supposed to be fitted in the Factory then it still had to be fitted to pass the MoT. I just assumed when they put your VIN in then it would flag up.

Correct. BUT if the WHOLE sub-system has been removed, e.g. ABS actuator, pump etc, then it will still pass the MOT.

Return to “Modifications”