Can't bring myself to sell...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

Can't bring myself to sell...

Post by widster »

I've had my car a while now, 8 years at a guess. It's done quite a few miles, 139k if I remember correctly, but is in good condition and has been looked after. I've spent a few grand in it. It's been in the garage for about 18 months now as my circumstances have changed. I've been through a divorce and don't have as much spare cash now but mainly I have nowhere to keep it as I stay at my girlfriends most of the time and it's on street parking. Last time I left it on the street it was broke into albeit another area. I also can't use it when I have my two kids as it means leaving one at home, which is against the law as they're 4 and 6! The thing is I'm stuck. I don't want to get rid as it's not worth a lot of money but mainly I'm too attached to the damn thing. On the other hand it doesn't fit into my life at the moment. I can find the money for the MOT, 6 months tax and a 1000 mile classic policy but it will only be the odd time when I use it. My other car is a 12 year old A4 with 202k miles on it and I can't part with that either. Had that 7 years and it refuses to die but has also had lots spent on it and is reliable if a little dull. Sorry for waffling but it's a dilemma. Anyone else had a similar experience with becoming too attached to their cars?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Can't bring myself to sell...

Post by Lauren »

You need to be a premium member if you wish to sell on here.

There is no law about what age children can be left alone, though I wouldn't recommend it in your circumstances.

Can't say I've ever had your experience.

HTH. ;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
widster

Post by widster »

I'm not trying to sell on here, just mulling things over and looking for some empathy from others who may have been in the same position.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I had my mk1 for 8.5 years and then just decided one day I had enough and it had to go. It needed to much work and wasn't really worth it in the end so sold it on for £500. It would of cost a couple grand to get everything sorted, mainly paint work and even then it would only be worth around £1500.

I do have the Elise though so selling up was a pretty easy decision and my daily shed is a nicer place to be everyday commuting to work.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I considered selling mine in October 2012, but I then got a new job and splurged over £2000 on a rebuild and bodywork - I couldn't face selling it to some chav so obviously kept it. Sentimental value is more important.
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Yep I feel your pain, I've had mine over 10 years and as recently as October this year finally decided I wasn't using it enough and it would be better for the car to go to someone with more enthusiasm for it than me, so put it up for sale.

Had some interest in it but not really anything that came to the point of discussing prices, bad time of the year mainly and the tax was due to run out.

But after SORNing it again and sticking it away for the winter I'm kind of relieved I didn't sell it. I'm lucky in that I've got a place to leave it and if I don't use it next year then it won't be an issue but if the fancy takes me then I know it's available.

Alan
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

I have had my car since 2002, At first i had it on the road, maybe for about 12 months, i managed to write it off and get it rebuilt and then after a few more months on the road it was decided that i needed a bigger car, so i stuck it in the garage with a view to a light touch restoration, that was now 10 years ago, i changed partners, got married, moved twice, renovated a property, had a baby and now the wife and i have another on the way.

The car ended up being stripped, full engine rebuild, after market bumpers etc etc and its still along way off being finished.

In no way does the car fit with my lifestyle and as i work away from home 4 days a week in no way do i get a chance to work on her very often however i am lucky enough to be able to run other vehicles and have the space to put the car in (much to the dismay of the wife - however i had the car before she had me so there is a pecking order :lol: )

The money the car owes me has been written off long ago and as i wouldn't get anything for it then i see no reason to get rid of it, i don't really transcribe to the whole...let someone else enjoy it statement, when it comes to it, when selling, very few people will turn down the cash because they are concerned that the buyer won't respect your sentimental value in the future.

For me the value comes from the odd occasion i do get to spend some time fettling in the garage, getting a step or 2 closer to getting her back on the road. Looking back at my thread on here reminds me of all the effort i put in and reminds me how really enjoyable it has been so for that reason i keep onto the car.

Its like anything, if you need the money (no matter how little it will be) then you are better off selling, no reason to have money just sat there getting less valuable, however if you can keep it and you can imagine a time in the future when you will enjoy driving it then keep onto it for that day, after all the car represents your memories it doesn't store them.. no matter where the car is the sentiment of what it reminds you of will always stay with you.
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks for all your replies. I thought there must be others out there with my sentimental pursuasion! I've just checked and it's nearly 10 years now that I've owned the car. Like boondougal I don't really have a 'need' for this car now. However, I decided yesterday to start her up and give her a quick check over. Nice to hear that raspy exhaust note again and the smell of petrol fumes. I spent a few enjoyable hours in the garage and it brought back to me how much fun that car has given me over the years. I've now decided to get her back on the road. I'll probably need a new battery, wiper arm and possibly a small plate welded but hopefully not much more. I've priced up classic insurance at £130 a year and 6 months tax say £100 so for a relatively small amount I can get her back on the road. I've decided to view the car as my hobby and not to feel I have to use her for x amount of miles a year to justify ownership. Like has been said it's fun tinkering especially when you don't have to rely on it for everyday transport. I suppose if it was worth a few thousand pounds I would sell but as it is it's only a small amount and I know I'd regret selling. My decision is made! Thanks 😊
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

:D :D :D :D :D
synXero

Post by synXero »

Lauren wrote:You need to be a premium member if you wish to sell on here.

There is no law about what age children can be left alone, though I wouldn't recommend it in your circumstances.

Can't say I've ever had your experience.

HTH. ;)

Robolauren strikes again :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”