[Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:Be interested to see what it's like with rev3 rear lights and panel.

Looks fun!

Nowhere near as good! It's all about retro!
Magic Beans

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Post by Magic Beans »

I've never washed car parts in the shower, honest... O:) :whistle:

Hats off to you on this one, you've done a superb job :clap: Always nice to have a little something unique, even if it is a massive PITA to do :wink:
ads

Post by ads »

Magic Beans wrote:I've never washed car parts in the shower, honest... O:) :whistle:

Hats off to you on this one, you've done a superb job :clap: Always nice to have a little something unique, even if it is a massive PITA to do :wink:

Thanks Phil I'm sure someone else could do the fit more efficiently than I have, my experiment is just a test bed

Anyone else up for this then?
mr2matt

Love it!

Post by mr2matt »

Hi

I love this :thumleft: I think it really suits the lines of the car, especially in the finished side view photo on page 3, the angle of the spoiler seems to perfectly match the line that runs down the middle of the car. From the back it works really well with the rev 1/2 square rear lights, I think it would look odd with the rev3+ ones.

I also couldn't help noticing on page 1, the rear view before and after pictures, the spolier isn't the only thing you changed :wink: The Phoenix Power exhaust really stands out nicely with the grill removed, but can you please answer something that is puzzling the hell out of me, where did the Toyota badge on the right hand side of the bootlid go? I thought they were part of the boot? Or are they removable, I'm fairly sure it's not hiding under the spoiler as it's not mounted low enough or did you actually buy a different bootlid to drill out :-k

But all in all, looks like a great job mate, certainly unique and innovative :D
ads

Re: Love it!

Post by ads »

mr2matt wrote:Hi

I love this :thumleft: I think it really suits the lines of the car, especially in the finished side view photo on page 3, the angle of the spoiler seems to perfectly match the line that runs down the middle of the car. From the back it works really well with the rev 1/2 square rear lights, I think it would look odd with the rev3+ ones.

I also couldn't help noticing on page 1, the rear view before and after pictures, the spolier isn't the only thing you changed :wink: The Phoenix Power exhaust really stands out nicely with the grill removed, but can you please answer something that is puzzling the hell out of me, where did the Toyota badge on the right hand side of the bootlid go? I thought they were part of the boot? Or are they removable, I'm fairly sure it's not hiding under the spoiler as it's not mounted low enough or did you actually buy a different bootlid to drill out :-k

But all in all, looks like a great job mate, certainly unique and innovative :D

Thanks !

Toyota badge on right side was recently removed using a plastic scraper to lift the it up: most of the double sided tape securing the badge lifted off, the rest was scraped off carefully - T cut was used when scraping which seemed to soften the remaining tape. Then just T cut as normal with cloths to finish.

There are no screws used to secure badge so no holes left showing.

Have to mention there is a slight 'shadow' imprint of where the badge was, but this really isn't noticeable if you're not looking for it.

At present as you can see I've left the G badge on the left and the MR2 badge on the rear grille, however I'm considering debadging completely. Seen this done a few times on 996 Porsches looks more classy IMO
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Only reason I mention rev3 lights is because for me, there is way too much horizontal lines in the rear view. Everything is flat, and given the style of the mk2 is hardly retro, I would call a mk1 retro, not the mk2, just seems too much. Could just be the angle you took it, in the flesh maybe different.
Side view, looks grand.

I just think it needs to be broken up some more.

Perhaps a flat rev1/2 center panel as apposed to the oem center panel, maybe.

I still appauld the idea though.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

nice work, good to see "out of the box" thinking, subtle mods can make a big impact

:thumleft:

regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
ads

Post by ads »

Cheers :D

Mixed up early 911 / MR2 / 240Z / Abarth X1/9 in my head and this kind of spilled out .. Worked out well and in keeping with the whole car on a cheap as chips budget
ads

Post by ads »

Update 13.1.14 thought I'd give you a few detail shots of the SAAB spoiler in situ . so far the Tigerseal has kept the front edge totally secure no problems.

Followed my mother in law driving the '2 ( yes I do trust her driving ) the other day on way back from lake Vyrnwy, spoiler really set the back end off and looked the dogs ******** even if I do say so myself, all for £35 spent :shock: photos don't really do it justice

side seems to work ok with back end

taken just before I weighted it down overnight for Tigerseal to do its work, so shows a slight lifting that isn't there now its stuck down fully

matches shut lines and flows quite well, very slight lifting at end of each front corner where it butts against the car wing which isn't that noticeable

this one for those of you that haven't seen it before
ads

Post by ads »

Magic Beans wrote:You did good :thumleft:

cheers Phil, much appreciated coming from someone who's done some proper mods as opposed to me drilling a few holes in my bootlid ..

hope you're enjoying that westy , cracking little car especially with that engine .. you'd probably never be tempted back to another 2 now, not even with a 6 speed 'box, sorted aero, suspension and whatever motor you'd put in .. never .. :-k
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Never say never, however there's a lot of other cars I'd like to try.

I'd like a big power Ariel Atom or Hayabusa Turbo powered kit car at some point. I've yet to run this engine in yet and find out what it's really made of. With these damp/greasy roads at the moment it's already and handful and that's way before it hits cam! :shock: New battery coming for it today so I might do a couple of bracing commutes in it before the snow hits 8-[
synXero

Post by synXero »

Magic Beans wrote:before the snow hits 8-[

Aww don't say that...

Return to “Modifications”