[Mk2] [Turbo] Best way to monitor a chargecooler??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Quibble

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best way to monitor a chargecooler??

Post by Quibble »

Here's a couple of things the guy at Auber Instruments told me when I asked about using it as a charged air temperature gauge and it's accuracy:

Thanks for contacting us and your interest in our product. You can use either SYL-1813 or SYL-1812RA. The former one is the most commonly used gauge for monitoring air temp, oil temp, pressure, etc. The latter one has a analog output therefore can be used for data logger. You can find them here: (link)

As for it's accuracy,
sampling rate :4samples/sec
Accuracy: 0.2% full scale +/- 1

If you look at item specifics on the eBay link the bit where it says New or Used Item, you can see under manufacturers part number syl-1830g (g is for green).

Have a look at the Auber Instruments site under automobile gauges and when on there look at accessories. I got a gauge (syl-1813b as the rest of my gauges are blue), buzzer and aluminium box to put it in for £61 incl p&p.

I'm going to use it with this: 22134770539nine :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

great info man, i'll deffo be getting one of these :thumleft:
Quibble

Post by Quibble »

That eBay link where it says manufacturers part number does actually say SYL-1813g NOT syl-1830g as that was my typo! #-o
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Quibble wrote:That eBay link where it says manufacturers part number does actually say SYL-1813g NOT syl-1830g as that was my typo! #-o

it's cool, found their actual website, good to know they do it red too, my interior is all red (minus my pink dash cluster)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

cool

be interested to know what exactly your getting and from where as part of the kit??

any pics of these thermocouples?

the rev3+ has an unused port in the side of the inlet manifold, wouldnt mind using this
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:

the rev3+ has an unused port in the side of the inlet manifold, wouldnt mind using this

any idea what kind of sensor would go into it Jim?? would it need tapped or is it threaded??
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

its this threaded unused port (perhaps its used on the gt4?)

im not sure how ideal it is, as ive not used thermocouples before, but considering the OEM intake temp sensor sits under and to the right of the TB in the inlet manifold, its cant be too wrong??

you can see it on this pic i have

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

a wee temp sensor in there would be perfect :thumleft:
Quibble

Post by Quibble »

Here you go, a little clip to show you what it's like. I couldn't believe how small it was! YouTube this---> 15:1:14 20:11 :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers man, will check that out when I'm at the PC, literally just picked up my chargecooler setup just now so I'll get one of these ordered, thanks again for your help :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers man, will check that out when I'm at the PC, literally just picked up my chargecooler setup just now so I'll get one of these ordered, thanks again for your help :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Quibble wrote:Here you go, a little clip to show you what it's like. I couldn't believe how small it was! YouTube this---> 15:1:14 20:11 :D

nice one, looks neat.
odd question, how accurate is the sensor, i mean, it looks like ambiant is 19c, as it starts there, but once you hover the hairdryer and remove, it takes an age to come back down to ambiant again?? almost like its heatsoaked or something?

can i confirm that is the gauge and buzzer from auber, and the wire from the ebay link? i assume you need like 5-6meters or this to fit from bay to cabin?

thanks, i like it!
shinny

Post by shinny »

jimGTS wrote:nice one, looks neat.
odd question, how accurate is the sensor, i mean, it looks like ambiant is 19c, as it starts there, but once you hover the hairdryer and remove, it takes an age to come back down to ambiant again?? almost like its heatsoaked or something?

I suspect with the engine drawing air over the bare thermocouple its readings would fall back to ambient more quickly. Probably worth putting in an area of high flow (ie. just after the throttle)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Quibble wrote:Here you go, a little clip to show you what it's like. I couldn't believe how small it was! YouTube this---> 15:1:14 20:11 :D

ah man, this looks well good :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=167

this more suited to "bolting" it into the side of the inlet manifold like my picture?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=167

this more suited to "bolting" it into the side of the inlet manifold like my picture?

ooooh, that looks much better than jamming a wire under the hose, does the spare port on the intake have a thread on it? i can't remember if you said Jim.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sheppy wrote:

ooooh, that looks much better than jamming a wire under the hose, does the spare port on the intake have a thread on it? i can't remember if you said Jim.

i have to assume it is a bolt in there going by the picture. so threaded.
probably BSP thread too given the other thread tyres on the engine, and i assume could well be 1/4 bsp, which is an option with that sensor. (pure guess its that size and thread).

though i wouldnt like to say if this reads like the bare wire sensors?? :?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

shinny wrote:
jimGTS wrote:nice one, looks neat.

I suspect with the engine drawing air over the bare thermocouple its readings would fall back to ambient more quickly. Probably worth putting in an area of high flow (ie. just after the throttle)

for sure, it is metal after all so will conduct the heat.
but yeh, once cooler air goes over, will come back down sharpish id assume.
:thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:
sheppy wrote:

i have to assume it is a bolt in there going by the picture. so threaded.
probably BSP thread too given the other thread tyres on the engine, and i assume could well be 1/4 bsp, which is an option with that sensor. (pure guess its that size and thread).

though i wouldnt like to say if this reads like the bare wire sensors?? :?

ah yeah, i never thought of that, the bare wire ones must be pretty fast to respond :-k
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

perhaps could just drill a small hole in the bolt in the inlet manifold, feed thermocouple wire through it and seal it??

question is seal with what to put up with say 20-30psi of boost pressure and high temps (more than is needed to safeguard).
some super strong super glue? sealant?

Return to “Modifications”