can you build a 450hp mr2 at home? whats needed

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steve07

can you build a 450hp mr2 at home? whats needed

Post by steve07 »

Hi everyone, i want to start a project mr2, i want to achieve somewhere between 450-500 hp, now im not in a rush to get this done within a year or even two, i want to be able to do it bit at a time, also is it possible to do this in a garage at home if i had the correct tool/equipment?
Could anyone give me a breakdown in a order i would do this in and a rough price, do i start with a block and send that off ect? I no im going to have to go forged ect, but this is something i would like to do, with all your help and knowledge.

Thanks alot

Steve
glen n

Re: can you build a 450hp mr2 at home? whats needed

Post by glen n »

I'm no expert on this at all but I'd think sitting down and planning your exact goals through with yours engine builder would be the best start. Then start collecting all of the bits you need. You will need to decide on engine internals, charge cooler or intercooler,which ecu,fueling,mapping,gearbox/clutch etc etc.

There's a few guys on here currently building some nice cars,you should read their builds and ask loads of questions to help you make your decisions.
RyanRs

Re: can you build a 450hp mr2 at home? whats needed

Post by RyanRs »

Yes mate, i built mine at home with just a £150 halfords professional socket kit! Obviously i had to buy the parts and borrow the odd occasional special tool, but that was my only real tool kit and i did it in a single garage about 9ft wide.

Return to “Modifications”