Strut Brace fitted

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr Bognor

Strut Brace fitted

Post by Mr Bognor »

Just a few pics of them fitted .

Next is intercooler fan and shroud

nickg07

Re: Strut Brace fitted

Post by nickg07 »

Nice, did you feel any difference?
Mr Bognor

Post by Mr Bognor »

Does feel a bit stiffer / harsh going over bumps but the roads are too wet to test it yet

Alan

nickg07 wrote:Nice, did you feel any difference?
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Ya when i fitted a front Cusco i definitely felt it tighten things up.

Enjoy but not too much in the rain!
Mr Bognor

Post by Mr Bognor »

Still have not driven it in the last 2 weeks as the roads are so bad so i want some good weather soon LOL

nickg07 wrote:Ya when i fitted a front Cusco i definitely felt it tighten things up.

Enjoy but not too much in the rain!
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Interestingly, I ran a Cusco front brace for a while and felt like the front end was flopping around and the car felt twitchy. Bought a cheap brace from eBay which gives enough clearance to also leave the stock bar on there and it seems so much better. Still got the rear Cusco on but would like to get a TRD at some point in the future.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

I run my car with the cusco and stock one fitted - its quite an easy mod. to do.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Me two I have both on the front. My cusco us the adjustable one.
Mr Bognor

Post by Mr Bognor »

Just put in a TRD knob and will put in the intercooler in the next few weeks .

rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have seen 2 different types of oem non-adjustable front strut braces.

Each has 2 bolts into the bulkhead below the windscreen and one bolt into the top of each turret.

One type goes from the bulkhead to the front of the turret.
The other type goes from the bulkhead to the rear of the turret.

Anybody know what difference it makes whether the oem strut brace bolts onto the front or rear of the turret?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Probably not a lot of difference. Though id imagine one which sits furthest is slightly stronger/stiffer?? Has a more diagonal bracing?
had heard tbar is different to sunroof, though not sure why?
If what you say is true, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one which goes to the top turret bolt (nearest firewall).
I have an oem front brace here which goes to the front turret bolt (furthest from firewall).

Anyone got one?
Mr Bognor

Post by Mr Bognor »

Just for ref the front one seems to not fit correct as the front left side does not close flush on the bonnet .

Alan
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Mr Bognor wrote:Just for ref the front one seems to not fit correct as the front left side does not close flush on the bonnet .

Alan

front what?? oem bar, ebay bar?

i had an ebay bar fitted with no issues (unless of course ive failed to spot an indent on bonnet by previous owner to make it fit, ha).
Mr Bognor

Post by Mr Bognor »

Front with an ebay one fitted .

Alan

jimGTS wrote:
Mr Bognor wrote:Just for ref the front one seems to not fit correct as the front left side does not close flush on the bonnet .

Alan

front what?? oem bar, ebay bar?

i had an ebay bar fitted with no issues (unless of course ive failed to spot an indent on bonnet by previous owner to make it fit, ha).
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

doesnt look possible to fit both at the same time even without closing the bonnet? though i never owned both at the same time to try.

if there are 2 kinds of oem front bar, ie one that fits the closest bolt on the turret, id be interested in grabbing that from someone if they have it.

should would with my Tein brace then.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have 2 rev3 GT tbar tubbies. They have different oem front brace bars onto the turrets as I described above.

There must be a reason for Toyota to have different versions of these brace bars. I guess they will have different part numbers. Maybe there were different handling options in the original sales brochures?

I have not measured them but I assume the holes in the firewall are the same distance apart, and the length of the bar along the firewall looks about the same, but I dont think there is enough of an angle on the bars to the different bolt holes on the turrets to fit both at the same time.

They do handle noticeably differently for whatever reason. I dont know if that is to do with those brace bars or something else.

One day (if it ever stops raining) I might find time to try temporarily changing them over and report back if it makes any noticeable difference.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

rev3gtturbo wrote:I have 2 rev3 GT tbar tubbies. They have different oem front brace bars onto the turrets as I described above.

There must be a reason for Toyota to have different versions of these brace bars. I guess they will have different part numbers. Maybe there were different handling options in the original sales brochures?

I have not measured them but I assume the holes in the firewall are the same distance apart, and the length of the bar along the firewall looks about the same, but I dont think there is enough of an angle on the bars to the different bolt holes on the turrets to fit both at the same time.

They do handle noticeably differently for whatever reason. I dont know if that is to do with those brace bars or something else.

One day (if it ever stops raining) I might find time to try temporarily changing them over and report back if it makes any noticeable difference.

i doubt very much customers had a choice of which brace they wanted!
as said, im sure the difference is moonroof and tbar. perhaps the bar closest to firewall isnt original to that tubby?
would certainly be the first ive heard of it.

heres why im after the oem bar closest to firewall, my tein front brace, which doesnt use the same mounting points of most front aftermarket mr2 braces, i have these mouting points still free to make use of the oem brace.
unfortunately i didnt realise this oem bar fitted the bottom mounting points, so no good to me.

rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

jimGTS wrote:
i doubt very much customers had a choice of which brace they wanted!
as said, im sure the difference is moonroof and tbar. perhaps the bar closest to firewall isnt original to that tubby?
would certainly be the first ive heard of it.

I know of at least one other rev 3 GT Tbar tubby that has the brace bar bolted to the turret on the hole closest to the firewall.

I havent been to an mr2 meet for years so not seen many under the front bonnet that I can remember.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Today I had a strut brace off to change the battery so thought I may as well have a go at trying the strut brace from the other car.

The brace that goes to the front bolt hole on the turret will fit both cars.
The brace that goes to the rear bolt hole on the turret is not interchangeable on my cars as the windshield wiper motor assembly (part number 85070-17041) gets in the way.

The car that had the strut brace mounted to the rear bolt hole of the turret has windshield wiper motor assembly part number 85070-17120.

There are no part numbers on the strut braces.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

The cars I have seen that have the front strut brace mounted to the rear bolt hole of the turret have both been Rev 3 GT Tbar turbos with traction control. Probably not relevent but thought I would mention it.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”