Power Steering

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GHOST

Power Steering

Post by GHOST »

When my car is moving, or has been moving, the power steering is fine but when I stop and let the car idle (at the filling station waiting for instance) its sometimes heavy and very hard to move until the car goes again.

Possible fault or fluid not circulating round correctly?

Cheers,

David
going4the1

Re: Power Steering

Post by going4the1 »

This happens to mine. If you start the car up and leave it idling for a few minute you will then hear the power steering pump power down. Quite normal.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Cheers mate. Never noticed it with my Rev3 though
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Yeah it's common, happened on my rev 5 na never cured it though.
leary123

Post by leary123 »

exactly the same problem..never fixed it sadly..no idea what it could be..its pretty annoying if your sat at a junction for more than a minute and it powers down and you have to turn out the junction quickly.
Harold

Post by Harold »

It's the steering wheel position sensor that is the issue, on the oem boss there is a metal ring that passes through the sensor and should activate the ps. Your problem will either be down to an aftermarket wheel & boss which doesn't have the part to pass through the sensor or a problem with the sensor itself. Take your wheel and boss off and have a play with the sensor, pass something through it to see if it is functioning.

I have had this problem for some time and have just put up with it, PAS comes on automatically above 10mph anyway. It can be a pain in slow traffic and parallel parking also if you're not too quick about it.

If you do some searching I have a thread with pictures of the sensor and a discussion of the problem.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Cheers Harold. Yes, I do have an aftermarket boss and wheel that came with the car when I got her. I'll look into that, thanks.
Harold

Post by Harold »

GHOST wrote:Cheers Harold. Yes, I do have an aftermarket boss and wheel that came with the car when I got her. I'll look into that, thanks.

I'm sure you know this already, but when taking the wheel off leave the nut on a few turns so you don't smash yourself in the face.
Jayridium

Post by Jayridium »

Harold wrote:It's the steering wheel position sensor that is the issue, on the oem boss there is a metal ring that passes through the sensor and should activate the ps. Your problem will either be down to an aftermarket wheel & boss which doesn't have the part to pass through the sensor or a problem with the sensor itself. Take your wheel and boss off and have a play with the sensor, pass something through it to see if it is functioning.

I have had this problem for some time and have just put up with it, PAS comes on automatically above 10mph anyway. It can be a pain in slow traffic and parallel parking also if you're not too quick about it.

If you do some searching I have a thread with pictures of the sensor and a discussion of the problem.

took the words out of my mouth....

I second the advice about leaving a couple of turns on the nut on the wheel.... I learned that trick the har / fast / painful way in my youth :clown: #-o

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”