Colway Tyres ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

couchcommando

Colway Tyres ?

Post by couchcommando »

I've been told these remanufactured tyres are good for trackday use, looking at their website they also make road tyres and for my MK1 MR2 they are £17 each ?

The recommendation comes from a reliable source but I've always shied away from remoulds so has anyone experience of them ?

spudgun

Re: Colway Tyres ?

Post by spudgun »

they have certainly been involved with motorsport for a while now, so it is quite likely. Lauren will know more about this than most, so lets hope she has the answers.
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

Yes you can use them. General consensus among the trackday community is that they aren't much cop though and being remoulds will be heavier.

A539s are only about £30 per tyre and work well for trackday use.

Unless you do trackdays literally every weekend it won't work out much different money wise to use A539s. thats what i'll be using on my car.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Colway tyres are some of the best budget non-road tyres out there. They make a wide range of tyres, from forest and gravel type rally patterns, through classic patterns for historicals, intermediate wet/dry patterns and semi slicks.

The intermediates in particular are well known in rally/sprint and clubman circles as some of the best you can get for the price.

I don't know about a road car, but I wouldn't hesitate to put intermediates or semi slicks on a track day car.

Remoulds have a dodgy reputation, but i can assure you there is nothing dodgy about Colway remoulds. I can certainly reccomend them.

I have it on good authority that they only use top brand carcasses like goodyear. They've built up a good reputation in motorsport, so I don't think you could go far wrong, tbh.
EarL

Post by EarL »

I used Colways for years when I raced Mini's. They're the best remoulds on the market. You should have no problem with them. :thumleft:
couchcommando

Post by couchcommando »

Thanks for the replies. The ones I was looking at were the road tyres not the race ones.
I will be doing a few trackdays as this car is a toy to use on track when I'm not racing my motorbike :)

Think I'll go with the yokohamas, any recommendations of places to buy in the Nottingham area ?
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

couchcommando wrote:Thanks for the replies. The ones I was looking at were the road tyres not the race ones.
I will be doing a few trackdays as this car is a toy to use on track when I'm not racing my motorbike :)

Think I'll go with the yokohamas, any recommendations of places to buy in the Nottingham area ?

Smart Car (horrible max muppet place) do have good prices on occasion.

Think its smartcar dot co dot uk
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Return to “Modifications”