The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

slipping clutch wrote:Nice little addition to the story there Phil, I was starting to worry your thread may have dropped to page two due to a winter forced lack of interest in the westy but all's well :thumleft:
Seasons greetings Back at you :smurf:

Still plenty of interest, more so than I had for the MR2 this time last year to be honest. Once I've got the new filter and mounted it I'll be taking it out as often as possible. The current socks are cr@p so cause the engine to run rich, hence why I'm not driving it too much before I swap them. I'll be out in the snow in it if I get chance :D
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

phil you sound like a man who needs something to do, fancy fitting leds to my heater controls for some beer tokens?

chris
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Magic Beans wrote:. I'll be out in the snow in it if I get chance :D

Feeling brave :twisted:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

thomp1983 wrote:phil you sound like a man who needs something to do, fancy fitting leds to my heater controls for some beer tokens?

chris

I'd love to have the 5 ish hours needed to do the work at the moment :| If you can wait a few weeks we could work something out.

matt-mr2 wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:. I'll be out in the snow in it if I get chance :D

Feeling brave :twisted:

Well, what's the worst that could happen 8-[ The main issue we have hear is the cul de sac we live on is on a hill, so you have to drive down a hill, turn 90 degrees, go up another hill, turn 90 degrees and go up again. The corners scrub off all your momentum and you either slide sideways or can't get going again when you stop. Being as I, along with the fuel tank, are pretty much the only ballast at the back it doesn't make for great traction #-o However... if it's possible I'm off out in it! :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Surely you could just pick it up and walk out of the estate with it? :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

True :lol:

I'll just take the Mega Shovel around with me if I do go out :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A few more jobsies done while the weather isn't being Westy compliant [-(

The idle adjuster on the carbs had a great long feed coming from it, which I assume is original to the bike they belong to. As you know, I'm not one for unsightly cables etc so set about streamlining things.

Before

Snip snip snip

After. Saved a few grams too. Every little helps and it's less likely to get caught and moved when i'm working in the bay :wink:

The back plate for the filter came, so just waiting on the filter itself

Off with the ITG socks and trumpets

I thought it an opportune moment to clean the carb inlets, as they were a bit disgusting

After an initial wipe

After being degreased and a good going over with a wire brush

Now clean they were re-fitted, along with the filter plate

A test fit of the hood, to check clearances

Only just :shock: Doesn't matter too much though as it the hood will need cutting to take the larger filter.

Velocity stacks back on. I do like these =P~

Peek a boo :lol:

Another job was to replace the fugly blue coolant pipe, which I'm told is to even out flow across the head and avoid hot spots. Always learning something new about it, mostly thanks to Nick :wink:

Replaced with the spare coolant overflow hose I had from the last Mule. A little bit of each one lives on in the next :D Much cleaner look now.

Off with the nose cone, ready to do a few more tidy-up jobs, as well as to get ready for some of the new bits I'm picking up this weekend. Bits which basically make up most of a Fiat 131 engine and all for £100 :D

The engine will be getting a bit of beautification over the winter. Not OCD like the last one, more of a refresh :wink: The wiring loom is going to be overhauled in a bid to tidy it all up, improve routings and ID what does what. At the moment there's a few random wires going to nothing, which upsets me :lol:

Hopefully the filter should arrive before Christmas, so I can fit it and maybe even take the car to work Christmas eve. Nothing like a bracing drive to freshen the cockles up on the last working (well, attending work) day before the break eh :).
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Good work Phil, I used to have a fiat 131 supermirafiori - I'm guessing what youve bought is whats left after the rust was done with the rest of the car :mrgreen: Man I loved that car - fast for its day but the tinworm just could not be held at bay! :(
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work Phil. :thumleft:

On a seperate thought, how's that desire for boost in your life progressing? :twisted:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

slipping clutch wrote:Good work Phil, I used to have a fiat 131 supermirafiori - I'm guessing what youve bought is whats left after the rust was done with the rest of the car :mrgreen: Man I loved that car - fast for its day but the tinworm just could not be held at bay! :(

I'm going to see if I can find out the history of the engine when I collect it. Always interested to know the back story of parts and cars etc :)

They're certainly old engines now and becoming increasingly rare. Make a damn good noise though, for a 4 pot :D

RedMR² wrote:Nice work Phil. :thumleft:

On a seperate thought, how's that desire for boost in your life progressing? :twisted:

Still very much present. I keep looking at the Dax Rush turbo videos out there with somewhat green eyes. I need to get the Westy run-in, tuned and run for a while before I'll know for sure what I feel I need.

Doing all these little jobs and spending time revealing and understanding the car is helping me to bond with it though. It was a bit of a rocky start :eye:
slipping clutch

RedMR² wrote:Nice work Phil. :thumleft:

Heres a part out of craigs car to get you started Phil

(sorry craig I just couldn't help myself and for those of you who don't get the joke please have a look at redmr2's build thread - jokes apart its well worth a read) :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Actually I have an old X-ray machine in the loft and it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to fit :clown:

I wonder who will be the first person to get their hands on and fit one of the new hybrid turbos they're going to use in F1 next season =P~

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/f1s-hy ... 1464497196
slipping clutch

Magic Beans wrote:Actually I have an old X-ray machine in the loft and it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to fit :clown:

I wonder who will be the first person to get their hands on and fit one of the new hybrid turbos they're going to use in F1 next season =P~

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/f1s-hy ... 1464497196

Me please - send it to my address and I will pay you as soon as its delivered from the £1,000,000 I apparently have sitting in a bank in Nigeria according to an email I received yesterday :?
On a more serious note I am hoping this technology quickly filters down through the market making it more affordable - when it does I wouldn't mind giving one a go :twisted:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Those Nigerians have all the money don't they. i feel blessed to have so many unknown relatives over there :lol:

Lord knows how much they'll cost as/when they appear for sale to the public?! 8-[

There's a guy called Duncan Cowper who has a Dax Rush with a Hayabusa turbo engine fitted. The turbo is from an old F1 car and the results speak for themselves. Ryan at 2Bar has tuned his car as it, along with several other high power Rush turbos, uses a Syvecs ECU. I think it's running somewhere around 440bhp at the moment, so circa 900bh per tonne :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzQd_mqm2k
slipping clutch

Magic Beans wrote:Those Nigerians have all the money don't they. i feel blessed to have so many unknown relatives over there :lol:

Lord knows how much they'll cost as/when they appear for sale to the public?! 8-[

There's a guy called Duncan Cowper who has a Dax Rush with a Hayabusa turbo engine fitted. The turbo is from an old F1 car and the results speak for themselves. Ryan at 2Bar has tuned his car as it, along with several other high power Rush turbos, uses a Syvecs ECU. I think it's running somewhere around 440bhp at the moment, so circa 900bh per tonne :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzQd_mqm2k

That is insane - but in a good way if you know what I mean - I may just have to pop over to Nigeria and pick up the cash in person and just buy one of these! P.s. if I do it will be nice to see my new relations! :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

We were down in Southampton this weekend and collected all the spare engine and bits. Doubled up as a chance to get away for the weekend :wink:

A 1er full of surprises. I think he was surprised it got in there and with so much room to spare.

Unveiled

The bounty

I've learnt that lifting engines out of hatchbacks on your own isn't fun. Ape mode was fully engaged :rambo:

I've yet to dig through the boxes of bits, however the clutch, gearbox, new water pump etc will be of use. The block and whatever else he wants will go to Nick, with the rest being sold or donated. If I can get back the £100 this little lot cost me I'll happily donate the rest to whoever wants or needs it :thumleft:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

You got a steal there :thumleft: I like the timing belts used as lifting straps :lol:
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

The fiat TC's are great engines.
Had several 131sports, 105TC and a
Strada Abarth running twin 40 solexs circa 150bhp.
I still miss that sound - epic engine!
slipping clutch

Herts66 wrote:The fiat TC's are great engines.

And there was me thinking I was the only one old enough on here to have owned a 131 - the Strada Arbath was high on my I want list at one time, Instead I bought an alfa 1.5T.I. ( with rust :))
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

matt-mr2 wrote:You got a steal there :thumleft: I like the timing belts used as lifting straps :lol:

He had a great set-up going on there and had a huge quantity of classic bikes, in various states of repair. I'm looking forward to having more land and hopefully outbuildings when we eventually move :)

Herts66 wrote:The fiat TC's are great engines.

You're right about the sound, especially for a 4 pot :) Seems that quite a few people have had these engines in their lives at some point :thumleft:

As mentioned earlier I'm going to do a few bits to add a touch of beautification to the car. Hell, it wouldn't be my car if there wasn't an element of tidying up going on somewhere O:) First up was to clean up and paint couple of filler caps, with the first being the oil cap.

An interim solution, just to cover it mind and not actually go anywhere :wink:

Fuel filler

Same interim cover

After attacking them both with a wire brush I managed to clean them up and get them back to bare metal, ready for paint.

Base coat of black enamel

Clear coat over the top. I opted for a textured finish on the fuel cap, as I felt it looked better.

Back on the car.

The new filter also arrived, it's a Pipercross PX600 (C604D), chosen as it's the largest they do in this format and should give plenty of velocity stack clearance.

The old ITG socks in place to cover the carbs, in case of acts of fool whilst awaiting the new filter to arrive and be installed 8-[ .

Extra gubbins

On.

Hmm, might need to trim a tad off the bonnet to get it to fit :-k :lol:

I'll take this off first and them check it again. Might take a few passes to get it cut to shape properly.

That's where I left it before Christmas arrived. Now we're back from our various travels I'll get to work on cutting the bonnet to size.

Return to “Member Profiles”