[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo knackered??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alex687

[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo knackered??

Post by alex687 »

So recently I have been noticing my turbo burning quite a bit of oil and a bit of a blue mist in the distance in the rear view mirror after flooring it. It doesn't smoke off boost or at idle (at least not noticeably). My first thoughts are that the oil seals in the turbo are shot? It's a hybrid ct26 from turbo technics but its only about 14 months old and has been running at 1 bar since I solved my creep issue. I guess it may have been up to 1.2-1.3 bar momentarily a few times prior to that...

Does anyone know what tests/measures I can take to confirm this diagnosis or otherwise?

Cheers
madmr2man

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo knackered??

Post by madmr2man »

If the turbo is leaking oil from the compressor side, its deposits will be all over the inside of your hot pipe and intercooler.
Whip a hose off and have a look.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Blue smoke when accelerating will be the turbo oil seals, not uncommon for rebuilt turbos to fail prematurely, is it still under warranty?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Will do tomo when its light and (hopefully) not raining.

I have had them off before when i last did some work on it and there were small puddles around the "rubber connecting bits". I didn't think much of it at the time cos it wasn't a massive amount and i was told it is normal for a little oil in there. I expect when i look tomo it will be blathered.

Someone else suggested it could be valve stem seals letting oil into chambers but that would smoke constantly regardless of boosting or not right?
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Nic wrote:Blue smoke when accelerating will be the turbo oil seals, not uncommon for rebuilt turbos to fail prematurely, is it still under warranty?

About 2 months out of warranty lol. Anyone know what sort of cost a place like turbo technics will charge to refurbish it. I reckon I can remove it myself so it would be a case of sending the turbo unit to them
Nic

Post by Nic »

alex687 wrote:

Someone else suggested it could be valve stem seals letting oil into chambers but that would smoke constantly regardless of boosting or not right?

It won't be the valve stem seals, when they go you get blue smoke at start up after the car has been stood - oil gets past the seals whilst stood and then gets burnt off when the engine is first started.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Take the turbo inlet hose off and check how much free play you have in the turbo shaft.

TT turbos are not known to last very long
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
alex687

Post by alex687 »

There is a bit of play. probs about 1mm side to side as you can see in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPKsoXDFM8

I was quite surprised to see hardly any oil in the hot pipe and compressor housing. If anything there was less this time than there was 6 months ago when i last had it off... bit of residue around where the intake meets the compressor housing, but again i wouldn't have said it was significant.

What do people think of that play? not an expert so is that an acceptable amount or what?
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i've had to turbos that have had the seals let go on me, neither smoked on acceleration. Smoked only when you came to a stand still i.e pull up at traffic lights.
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Are there any things i can do to rule things out and narrow it down? also any opinions on that youtube video of the play i posted?
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

alanmr2turbo wrote:i've had to turbos that have had the seals let go on me, neither smoked on acceleration. Smoked only when you came to a stand still i.e pull up at traffic lights.

My experience with failing oil seals is the same as this, if that helps.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

alex687 wrote:There is a bit of play. probs about 1mm side to side as you can see in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPKsoXDFM8

I was quite surprised to see hardly any oil in the hot pipe and compressor housing. If anything there was less this time than there was 6 months ago when i last had it off... bit of residue around where the intake meets the compressor housing, but again i wouldn't have said it was significant.

What do people think of that play? not an expert so is that an acceptable amount or what?

That is way too much movement, the bearings have too much clearance and before long you will wear out the comp wheel on the inlet housing.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
alex687

Post by alex687 »

cheers for watchin the vid bob, I was under the impression a little play (up to about 1mm) was acceptable as they are 'floating' bearings...? I can see what u mean though - the blades look like they could start rubbing on the housing.

So would that mean the bearings/oil seals/both are shot? and would that explain the oil burning and smoking under boost - despite there being little to no oil in the hot pipe?

Guess I better free up my diary and remove the damn thing!
Nic

Post by Nic »

Any oil in the hot side will have been burnt off.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

alex687 wrote:cheers for watchin the vid bob, I was under the impression a little play (up to about 1mm) was acceptable as they are 'floating' bearings...? I can see what u mean though - the blades look like they could start rubbing on the housing.

So would that mean the bearings/oil seals/both are shot? and would that explain the oil burning and smoking under boost - despite there being little to no oil in the hot pipe?

Guess I better free up my diary and remove the damn thing!

On a new turbo you will not feel any movement. 1mm play is way too much, there should be next to nothing. I can rebuild and balance it for you. Get a quote from TT first to see what they would charge.

Return to “Mechanical”