[Mk2] [Generic] Mounting Bucket Seats?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Donato

[Mk2] [Generic] Mounting Bucket Seats?

Post by Donato »

Mounting bucket seats, how have people done it?

I'm currently looking at buying a Cobra Suzuka, it's a side mounted seat so will need side mounts.

I've currently got a Bride base mounted runners, but don't align up as the mounting holes are different.

Now i've had a side mounted bucket seat mounted to modified Recaro runners, which sat a bit too high for me. I'm looking to try and mount the bucket seat quite low. Ideally adjustable too so i can put it on the runners i have.

Any pictures or ideas of these being done?

Cheers
al/c

seats

Post by al/c »

don,t know about side mounts but have made my own bottom mounts before. where abouts are you in bolton as thats where i live :)
Donato

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Mounting Bucket Seats?

Post by Donato »

I take it that it's a custom job then, without the runners? I'm in Kearsley!
al/c

seat mounts

Post by al/c »

yes mate, i cut up and re-welded some standard mounts, i,m in bolton just down from the old cop shop on castle street :thumleft:
bolton

Post by bolton »

Got those exact seats in mine mate!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

The buckets I removed from my car were on Stock runners which had then been bolted with a bracket to the seat. The 4 mounting positions on the floor of the car are not flat/level but the top of the runners are.

I would suggest the only options for side mounts without sitting them on stock runners is to get side mount brackets with multiple holes and then bolt them to the floor. It is now an MoT requirement that the seat can be fixed in at elast 2 positions but I have heard that as long as you have a spanner next to a multi fitment bracket with 'seat adjust' written on it most places will chuckle and let it pass.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Modify a stock rail, cut them back to the flat runner sections then weld on some 90 degree angle iron drill it where the side mount holes are job done. Mr2 stock rails are the easiest rails ever to modify for bucket seats

Chris
Donato

Post by Donato »

I did have a Sparco Rev bucket seat on modified to standard rails and it personally felt a good few inches too high. With a helmet on track I would of struggled for head space. I possibly need to get it as Los as possibly. I'm thinking of maybe fabricating up two bars to go from the rear seat holes to the front seat holes and then bolt the side mounts to them :-k
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Super_red wrote:It is now an MoT requirement that the seat can be fixed in at elast 2 positions but I have heard that as long as you have a spanner next to a multi fitment bracket with 'seat adjust' written on it most places will chuckle and let it pass.

Since January 2012:

■The driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism must function as intended.

When i fitted Kong's sidemount Recaros I incorporated the original runners so as not to fail the new regulation.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Donato wrote:Mounting bucket seats, how have people done it?

I'm currently looking at buying a Cobra Suzuka, it's a side mounted seat so will need side mounts.

I've currently got a Bride base mounted runners, but don't align up as the mounting holes are different.

Now i've had a side mounted bucket seat mounted to modified Recaro runners, which sat a bit too high for me. I'm looking to try and mount the bucket seat quite low. Ideally adjustable too so i can put it on the runners i have.

Any pictures or ideas of these being done?

Cheers

I have driftworks suzukas mounted to bride subframes - to be honest it was quite easy to mod up the bride subframes frames to fit my sidemounts - I did fabricate the side mount brackets myself as the shop bought side mount rails are designed to bolt straight to the floor of the car if possible and if you mount them on the seat frame runners then thne seat sits to high. Hope this helps a bit.
al/c

seats

Post by al/c »

you can always pop round and match them against my aftermarket ones :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”