Cold Running Issues

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

Cold Running Issues

Post by Mike »

This is a problem my Rev 2 Tubby has had for a while, now I'm using it more I need it sorted.

In particularly cold weather, when started from cold the car feels as though its under-fuelling and knocking. If you apply the throttle the car doesn't respond, maybe just bucks and splutters. One the temperature guage is up around the 1/3rd mark it runs ok.

I'm thinking cold start injector switch, but before I splash out on one I'd like to call on the collective wisdom of IMOC!

Cheers

Mike
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Cold Running Issues

Post by Ryan S »

i can't say for certain what it is, but, i have just had my coil die on me, last year, cold weather didn't bother it, this year it's run like a total pig on cold mornings, i reckon the damp has been getting into then freezing, anyway, coil changed (£50 from my local motor factor, it's a blueprint one) or £34 from camskill if you don't need the part right away :thumleft:
Mike

Post by Mike »

sheppy wrote:i can't say for certain what it is, but, i have just had my coil die on me, last year, cold weather didn't bother it, this year it's run like a total pig on cold mornings, i reckon the damp has been getting into then freezing, anyway, coil changed (£50 from my local motor factor, it's a blueprint one) or £34 from camskill if you don't need the part right away :thumleft:

I've changed the coil pack within the last couple of years which fixed a different issue. I don't think its the coil this time. Thanks though :thumleft:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Any other bids?
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Hi Mike

Not a tubby but i had a very similar thing (buck and splutter), car felt like it was being held back when cold, car would acclerate then suddenly try to pull up, then acceleerate again fine, felt like lack of fuel. Drove me mad, I found a split in one of the pipes from the air filter which when replaced helped and i changed the Idle Control Valve and the plugs which again helped a little. (Mr T was at a loss too)

The problem was only fully solved when i replaced the exhaust from a poor aftermarket to a Stainless Steel backbox and rather better but not OE CAT, i am no expert but i wondered if back pressure on the old exhaust was causing an issue - now its fine.

Good luck with yours.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mike wrote:I'm thinking cold start injector switch

Won't be cold start switch. That only enables the 5th injector for about 20 seconds when firing up.

Could be water temp sensor or an ignition component.
mr2_ash

Post by mr2_ash »

Had the same problem with my rev2 tubby and it was the ecu water temp sensor.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the responses gents.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”