GRRRRRRRRRR, car won't start :( updated. updated again, problem solved.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S

GRRRRRRRRRR, car won't start :( updated. updated again, problem solved.

Post by Ryan S »

Right, used the car on Saturday night, no problems, it ran fine etc....parked it up, tried to start it today and nothing, it turns but it won't catch, i did have a problem with the coil ages ago and replaced it (same symptoms) and it's ran fine since, nothing has been done to the car since it was parked up (i'd done around 100 miles prior to parking it up). i gues i'm gonna have to rule out the obvious stuff first like spark/fuel etc....
Last edited by Ryan S on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan S

Re: GRRRRRRRRRR, car won't start :( updated. updated again, problem solved.

Post by Ryan S »

no error codes, i can smell fuel, just need to check for a spark, totally limited for tools so i'm not sure when that'll be possible.
bigal

Post by bigal »

It may be totally unrelated but I would inspect your ECU for leaky capacitors. Its free and as for tools you only need a phillips screwdriver.
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

bigal wrote:It may be totally unrelated but I would inspect your ECU for leaky capacitors. Its free and as for tools you only need a phillips screwdriver.

awww, don't say that, it's a blitz ECU :( do i just take it off and inspect it?? would it be obvious?
bigal

Post by bigal »

Mine was obvious. Two capacitors had leaked and caused some corrosion on the tracks. Apparently its a common fault and its free and easy to do and will only take about 15 minutes.Image
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

First get a friend to help you. Take the king lead off the dizzy cap and ground it. Turn the car over and check for a spark. That's where I would start.

Sam
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

samgpr50 wrote:First get a friend to help you. Take the king lead off the dizzy cap and ground it. Turn the car over and check for a spark. That's where I would start.

Sam

yeah, stuck on my own today so waiting on a friend, hopefully there's no spark, then i can start sorting out how to get one :(
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

just to add to this, i've check all the fuses they are fine, the last time i had this problem it was blowing the 40amp ignition fuse in the trunk, turned out to be a short in the loom which was bypassed and another coil/ignitor fitted.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Have you checked the battery voltage??
If battery voltage isn't high enough the engine will try to turn but won't catch.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

KarlBristol wrote:Have you checked the battery voltage??
If battery voltage isn't high enough the engine will try to turn but won't catch.

waiting on my voltmeter getting dropped off but the car is turning as it would normally, always turned over pretty fast, so frustrating, i'd have much preferred if the thing cut out when i was driving, the fact that it was parked up then decides not to start is so infuriating!!!

edit: i really need to check for a spark before i can go any further :(
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

Sheppy I wouldn't wish for it to go wile driving. You know all about when my coil went I'm sure haha. Hopefully be an easy fix for you, keep us posted.
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

samgpr50 wrote:Sheppy I wouldn't wish for it to go wile driving. You know all about when my coil went I'm sure haha. Hopefully be an easy fix for you, keep us posted.

haha, it went when i was driving the last time (different problem but same symptoms) at least that way, i knew right away something had stopped working, the way this has happened it could be all manner of things :( the car was driving faultlessly, parked up, left overnight, then won't start :( having had a nosey at all the wires etc around the coil i've noticed some wee bolts missing (obviously rattled themselves free with my stupid exhaust) one of the bolts that hold the coil in place is gone, it does look like it still has good contact with the body though, the fuel pump relay bolt was hanging on by it's last thread too :( my mate is coming to help me check for a spark, i'm really hoping there isn't one :lol:
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

right, no spark. deffo have fuel, so, where to start?? i'm gonna check if i have power going to the coil/ignitor although i can't get my voltmeter until tomorrow :( if there is, then i'll probably replace the coil.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

No spark will mean one of a few things -

Fuse gone
Wiring problem
Igniter/coil pack dead
or damaged king lead (like I said on FB)
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

hmltnangel wrote:No spark will mean one of a few things -

Fuse gone
Wiring problem
Igniter/coil pack dead
or damaged king lead (like I said on FB)

i can rule out fuses and wiring, can i check the king lead with the voltmeter?? the last time the coil and ignitor died they absolutely reeked, although that was due to a short in the wiring loom so different scenario.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Have u tried push starting the car?
Sounds like the same issue i had which turned out to be the coil, i would even just double check the ground going to coil before replacing it
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

Gullzter wrote:Have u tried push starting the car?
Sounds like the same issue i had which turned out to be the coil, i would even just double check the ground going to coil before replacing it

i have not, considering there's no spark i feel it would be a waste of effort haha :D the coil is earth by the bracket, which is still solid despite missing a bolt now ](*,)
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

right, ordered a new coil (i had planned to anyway) so gonna swap it out tomorrow, i'll have my voltmeter by then so i'll be able to do various tests etc....
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

right, good news, i just tested the wires going to coil and ignitor, i have 12 volts, so, just away to go pick up my coil, i have a sneaky feeling that they are gonna give me a non turbo coil, i phoned the place (who are usually very good) just before i closed last night, and although i mentioned it was a turbo, i didn't stress that it had to be a turbo coil, we'll see what happens :(
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

right, so after wrestling for the last wee while with the stupid coil bracket, the problem is now solved, turns out it was the coil right enough, car burst into life right away, thanks for all your input folks, it's always worrying when something goes on the car, it's good to have this site to turn to :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”