Radiator replacement

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HMV

Radiator replacement

Post by HMV »

Firstly - hi everyone, I'm new here, although you may know my MR2 as I write about it most months in Classic Cars magazine. It's a Sunburst Red 1992 Rev2, and the registration plate ends in 'HMV' hence the username.

Anyway, regular readers will know that my radiator has started falling apart and will need replacing. It's not urgent just yet, but I'd like to get it sorted but I don't have much money to get it done.

So - where's the best place to get a good, cheap radiator from?

Also - given the complexity of the MR2's cooling system, I don't trust any old idiot to fit it. I'm in Cambridgeshire and I could take it to FenSport but I suspect they might be a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a garage who'll know what they're doing, but won't charge the earth for it? I'm loath to go to my local chain place as they always insist on sourcing parts and refuse to fit anything supplied by customers, Toyota main dealers will be a rip-off, and I don't trust any old backstreet garage to change the coolant properly without airlocking it.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks,

Sam
glen n

Re: Radiator replacement

Post by glen n »

I don't think it's too hard a job to do on your own,and there are articles to help you along the way. I'm going to be doing my own radiator soon and I think I'll be buying an alloy one from eBay this time,then just using the guides to know what to do. As for the coolant if you follow the steps in the guide then you should be able to get the air out of the system easily enough.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

HMV wrote:So - where's the best place to get a good, cheap radiator from?

"good" and "cheap" rarely go together.

OEM copy for about £145, lifetime guarantee.

Cheap copy or cheap aluminium, £110ish, 12 month guarantee. The cheap ones often have the bleed screw in the wrong place making bleeding a PITA, but it's no big deal.

Your choice.
HMV

Post by HMV »

The OEM copy sounds reasonable. I'm trying to keep my car as standard as possible as it seems so many are modified, but unfortunately when you type 'MR2 radiator' into Google you get inundated with all manner of racing mods with space-station price tags.

Another thought - is it still possible to buy protective grilles to fit in front of the radiator to protect from stonechips? I would make one myself out of wire mesh, but I'm concerned about restricting airflow - is there a proper part for this?
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

I am pretty sure you can still get the grill protector kit from the Mr2 Drivers Club. Pretty easy to fit unless you have air con as the additional pipes hinder access slightly. Good luck with it.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

defo fit some sort of mesh across the front, wont affect the cars running temperature at all and will protect your new investment :thumleft:
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

I fitted a £110 ebay rad earlier in the year and have had no issues with it - I'm no mechanic but took my time with the job and it all went according to plan.......this might be useful? http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=172044

Good luck :thumleft:
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Bought and replaced with an eBay rad back at the start of May. Lightweight alloy one of some description. Car seems to cool much quicker with that and a fresh load of coolant. No problems to note. The sensor which screws into the rad fits a bit differently though and I had to wrap some PTFE tape around the threads and use a sealant to stop it leaking though.
Zeppozen

Post by Zeppozen »

Hi,

Just replaced mine proir to onset of imminent freezing weather.

Planned well, using MR2 replace rad articles found on here or other forums.
didnt bother draining. just let it pour after hose disconnection ( remove cap) not much water.
Hardest part was jubilee clip which head stripped meaning i had to hack it.
Once assembly dropped out the bottom...Rad Fan mount bolts sheared as expected. those that didnt had to be ground out.
Konvertex and hammerite fans. new bolts. refit from underneath.
Luckily .... I then jack up back of car at fill side. open rad top bleed valve. hose into filler slowly wait for air to stop spluttering at valve, then tighten while water still pouring out, then run car with rad cap on 1/4 turn for 5 minutes . fill then tighten

Ok not recommended method but works for me.

took couple of days but i was cleaning, painting, and rust proofing while in there.

now i know its sealed, i will have to drain and fill with anti freeze, then bleed using recommended method if i cant get 5 litres in..
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I just put an ebay alloy rad on my mr2 on own, works well so far.. Cooling temperature seems normal to me and heater works alot better now. Took a few hours to fit and drain/refill with new coolant and bleed.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

Cheap copy or cheap aluminium, £110ish, 12 month guarantee. The cheap ones often have the bleed screw in the wrong place making bleeding a PITA, but it's no big deal.

Your choice.

Peter is there a radiator that you would recommend? Does the stock radiator use a copper core?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
craig

Post by craig »

Pete replaced my rad with the ebay aluminium rad with fan kit. Been spot on so far.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Nic wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

Your choice.

Peter is there a radiator that you would recommend? Does the stock radiator use a copper core?

Standard rads are copper cored, I bought an aluminium replacement from TCB earlier this year which fit perfectly and was quite a lot lighter than the standard one.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”