BOV blanking plate

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: BOV blanking plate

Post by Peter Gidden »

nickg07 wrote:If you have a budget for a new turbo i say go for it. if you are going to cry at the roadside if it blows up, then dont do it..

:roll:

Not one single Noble was fitted with a dump valve. I've yet to see a single Noble owner crying at the roadside....
JordanR

Post by JordanR »

Adam86 wrote:I just cut the end off a broom and stuck that in the pipe. Done about 7k without issue.

Haha this sounds amazing
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

jimGTS wrote:
nickg07 wrote:If you have a budget for a new turbo i say go for it. if you are going to cry at the roadside if it blows up, then dont do it..

#-o #-o #-o

blows up, how exactly is that going to happen?

Im just erring on the side of caution. If he can afford a rebuild go for it. If it does blow up and he cant afford it well..

Why will it blow up? Probably because its a 20 year old Mr2 with a mass produced turbo that will be getting closer to its last legs anyway?

For some reason Toyota saw fit to install a recirc valve on the MR2. To boost longevity and ensure the car gets to 100k miles or near.

Most Nobles were not build with this in mind.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

JordanR wrote:
Adam86 wrote:I just cut the end off a broom and stuck that in the pipe. Done about 7k without issue.

Haha this sounds amazing

he means to block off the intake pipe. i think he's misunderstood the topic here :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nickg07 wrote:
jimGTS wrote:

#-o #-o #-o

Im just erring on the side of caution. If he can afford a rebuild go for it. If it does blow up and he cant afford it well..

Why will it blow up? Probably because its a 20 year old Mr2 with a mass produced turbo that will be getting closer to its last legs anyway?

For some reason Toyota saw fit to install a recirc valve on the MR2. To boost longevity and ensure the car gets to 100k miles or near.

they are fitted to reduce/illiminate the off throttle surge sound.
nothing more, nothing less.

the st165 and the st185 gt4s, same engine as the mr2, didnt come equipped with a bov from the factory!!

what does that tell you??
ashley

Post by ashley »

jimGTS wrote:

they are fitted to reduce/illiminate the off throttle surge sound.
nothing more, nothing less.

the st165 and the st185 gt4s, same engine as the mr2, didnt come equipped with a bov from the factory!!

what does that tell you??

That MR2s are more reliable in the long term?

:oldtongue:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

nickg07 wrote:
jimGTS wrote:

#-o #-o #-o

Well, my turbo is now fully rebuilt so let's say it's new and yes, if it fails, I would cry...

But my car is mostly used for a track, so there is a very low mileage and I hope it can last a couple of seasons.

What do you think?
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Mines done track days and a couple of trips to the ring without a bov. Still yet to go wrong but you'll have to make up your own mind up. A lot of people strongly disagree when people like myself say your ok running without one. But they haven't researched the subject.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Dude im not saying it will blow up instantly upon blanking. But instead of getting 50k miles from it, you might get 20k miles instead (all totally made up numbers).

On a race car engine that gets torn down every few months this isnt an issue. on a car you need to rely on and dont want to buy a new turbo ina year or two, would i chance it? No.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nickg07 wrote: But instead of getting 50k miles from it, you might get 20k miles instead (all totally made up numbers).

any proven evidence of this??

you mention totally made up, i agree but in the opposite vain, because the myth that running no bov causes problems is also totally made up (by companies selling bovs!).
plucking numbers out of thin air is the reason why people are scared of not running without one.

there have been massive threads on this on the US forums in recent years, many many have been converted to running without on there oem turbos with no failures, and they do alot more mileage than we do over here.

there was even scientific data posted that proved it had such little effect on the turbo that it was hardly worth mentioning. (differing pressure waves, not wear and tear)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Well, I think I will take a risk. No opinion will be better than my own experience :)
Oh, and that sound... It's just amazing.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Even if l did think it would shorten my turbos life I'd still do it just for the flutter lol
JordanR

Post by JordanR »

What have you used to blank yours Adam?
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

A sawn off piece of broom handle some PVC tape and a jubilee clip...I xxxx you not as I held the broom whilst he was sawing 😉

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”