Newbie to MR2s - 95 Rev3 NA

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hellreign

Newbie to MR2s - 95 Rev3 NA

Post by hellreign »

Hi All,

Just thought i'd do a quick introduction

So, my names Iain and i live in Bournemouth on the south coast, originally from London. Love it down here.

I work in IT and to be fair its an ok job which pays the bills.

Car history for me is quite limited, passed my test at 17 but didn't get my first car till i was about 25 :) I started off in a 1991 1.4 civic GL. 40K on the clock. Awesome little car.

After six months or so i moved onto my first Celica as i've always had a soft spot for the Gen6 since the days of Sega rally. 1996 1.8st

Bit of a dog to be honest, i rushed into buying it and ended up replacing most of it over the following months (brakes, handbrake, clutch, belts,etc etc and eventually the engine) Nicked name the car "new car in old suit". Bit of a fail there on my part.

After a year of the 1.8 i moved onto to a 94 GT (UK).

Lightly modified by the previous owner, including TRD kit, she was a much better purchase than my first one :) I've enjoyed this car and have done my best to keep her in tip top mechanical shape, although my garage has shafted me a few times. The only thing i don't like about this car is the paint work (showing its age) but otherwise it rocks.

After nearly 2 years of the GT I decided to make the final step

I purchased a 1994 Celica GT-Four WRC in 2011. Pretty much stock (alloys/exhaust/induction/samco hoses) and in good shape. Fell for this car big time, and proceeded to care for it to no end. Spent a small fortune on it keeping it serviced and replacing bits etc making sure there'd be no issue with it.

This is how she looked when she went :(

Unfortunately, money went wrong for me. Changes where made to bonuses at work (they were removed) and I was suddenly £400 a month down. Then I got married, which ate even more into what money I had. Long story short, before I got into too much financial difficulty I had to sell the Four. Very upsetting seeing her go, but with the wedding now past and paid for, I have a bit more breathing space to sort myself out. I could have kept the Four and struggled on but I decided now was the time to sort myself out. Here's the sale AD just for info and those curious to what I did to the old girl :)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C437959

But, I can' be without wheels in my life, so I found my current car.

Its a 1995 Rev3 T-Bar. UK car with (just ticked over) 88k on the clocks. Very good nick inside and out. Only mods being Apexi lsprings and the OZ alloys. Nice and fun and enjoying it so far, but do miss the noises the Four used to make.

Will not be doing too much to this one. It was a little bit more coslt than I wanted to pay ut, but its just had the Clutch and Belts done, and a new MOT so it works out well.

Just going to enjoy it really whilst I sort my self out

Cheers :)
Libertine

Re: Newbie to MR2s - 95 Rev3 NA

Post by Libertine »

gorgeous mr2 mate, white t-bar :thumleft:

those oz wheels on the celica are so nice! never seen those before - can imagine they wasnt cheap!

welcome to the forum!
craig

Post by craig »

Very nice mate! Also love that GT4 :thumleft:
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

Thanks chaps, yeah I did love the Four a lot. Miss it daily but the MR2 is filling the void a bit :)

The wheels are the Four turned our to not be OZ's in the end libertine, although they were very similar.

They were actually Racing Hart Superlative Dish D'spec (mouthful lol)

16x9 and direct fitment for the Faff. loved them. Luckily bagged them on the cheap throu TCBparts, but they were in ruin. After getting them refurbed etc and new rubber they cost me close to 1k :S Worth it though
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

Went out the other week, only a short trip, and when I parked up, I noticed a pink fluid on the lower part of the front bumper. From what I'd seen of the coolant, it wasn't pink, more of a used brown lol, so I had a quick look around but couldn't see anything and it didn't appear to be leaking. Any way, headed home later that evening and parked up at home, again noticing a new spill on the bumper.

Got out the torch and discover the small pin hole stream of coolant squirting out of the rad. On closer inspection it looked like something had hit the rad, as there was a visible area of damage where the fluid was coming from. bu88er.

So the next day, I chucked in some rad weld which did the job of sealing the hole, but I didn't want to leave it like that.

ordered a new rad, thermostat, coolant, oil and filter, and today I've been down the garage getting things swapped and changed.

Got home this evening and remembered I had some 'race mesh' left over hiding in the den. Would have been easier if I remembered this earlier as I could have fitted it whilst the rad was out, but hey-ho.

Luckily I had enough to do the grill of the 2 from left to right, although there is a 5mm gap along the bottom between the mesh and the bumper. Hopefully this won't come back and bite me in the ass, but the rad should be a lot more protected than it was now.

I've also been naughty and snapped up a bargin.......front and rear Cusco Strut braces. Naughty me. Think i'm slowly going to work on making it a track/grip car. Small aero mods and handling mods. Slowly mind ;)

bit dark for good pics tonight

thanks
craig

Post by craig »

Rad mesh is a good move! Wouldn't run without it. :thumleft:
Donato

Post by Donato »

Looking good.
You should really get a de-cat pipe fitted and also a power deck spacer. Improves the rev range a bit more with added torque.

Made a big improvement on mine!
hellreign

Post by hellreign »

Yeah Red i'm not sure why they don't come with it as stock? I fitted it to my old Celica GT hence the left over, but not to the Faff. Luckily its never happened to me before this, and hopefully won't happen again touch wood :)

Donato - I'm not really meant to be spending money on this car (altho I am lol) as that was the reason I sold my previous. need to keep it under control.

But I did just peak at powerdecks on ebay....£99 isn't too bad :) But power mod will come further down the line for me

Anyway, a manly evening for me involving tools and parts and curse words and back strain lol

Worked this morning and found my newly acquired strut braces waiting for me, just spent the last 30mins fitting them :)

Managed to retain the stock rear brace for extra grr, but the front one had to come out. Which involved emptying out the 'frunk' and sitting in it trying to remove the two centre bolts.

Le finished article

When I bought the car it came with a replica Aeroware front lip. Basically just a bigger/more aggressive version of the stock lip. Its used but in the right colour, so I may bolt it on tomorrow and see how it looks

cheers
craig

Post by craig »

Cusco braces look top. Looked for some for ages, and ended up with a pair of the ones off Ebay.

Had to go with the rear one as the stock X brace wouldn't fit over the chargecooler. Thought I may as well have a matching pair and bought the matching front off the bay. :)
Donato

Post by Donato »

Braces look sweet. You can't not have an MR2 and not spend money on it :wink:

I know of a user on here that might possibly be selling his power deck spacer. I'll put you in touch with him if you're interested..

Return to “Member Profiles”