More N/A power

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2DIE4

Re: More N/A power

Post by MR2DIE4 »

finding power on the NA engine is not hard at all, everyone thinks so because everyone always say "buy a turbo".

with my rev1 (156hp) i did these mods:
- exh manifolds
- exhaust
- apexi airfilter in a proper shielded airbox
- shaved the head
- metal head gasket 0.8mm (11,5:1 compression)
- arp headstuds
- distributor timing was a 13°
- apexi safc2

resulted in 209hp (engine) and was allready faster than my 322hp Celica GT-4 WRC i have too , not 0-60n but in general backroad driving and accelerations

due to increased compression from the shave and thin HG , cold start was very poor because of increased vacuum on the FPR, so i opted to go ahead and do more mods (working on it now)

- Link G4 Storm ecu
- deatschwerks fuel pump
- adj fpr
- modifying upper intake plenum:
unbolted the part that is on the valve cover and heatsoaking like mad
kept the ACIS
making larger volume intake tank but raised up about 15cm above valve cover and with shorter runners (5cm from flange that bolts to lower plenum to the intake tank)
fittted larger throttle body (68mm)
- 264° cams
- uprated valve springs
- adj cam pulleys
- balanced crank/balanced stock flywheel/balanced crank pulley
- lightweight rods (eagle) + balanced
- 5s oil pump
- acl crank + rod bearings
- stock pistons with new piston rings (had blowby from increased compression)
- cylinderhead revision with valves reseated, shims specced and new valvestem seals.

hoping to make + 240hp/8000 rpm

car is completely stripped out apart from doorpanels and dash/center console and is now at 1050kg (its a hardtop)
ashley

Post by ashley »

MR2DIE4 wrote:finding power on the NA engine is not hard at all, everyone thinks so because everyone always say "buy a turbo".

- exh manifolds
- exhaust
- shaved the head
- arp headstuds
- apexi safc2

resulted in 209hp (engine) and was allready faster than my 322hp Celica GT-4 WRC i have too , not 0-60n but in general backroad driving and accelerations

due to increased compression from the shave and thin HG , cold start was very poor because of increased vacuum on the FPR, so i opted to go ahead and do more mods (working on it now)

- Link G4 Storm ecu
- deatschwerks fuel pump
- adj fpr
kept the ACIS
making larger volume intake tank but raised up about 15cm above valve cover and with shorter runners (5cm from flange that bolts to lower plenum to the intake tank)
- 264° cams
- uprated valve springs
- adj cam pulleys
- 5s oil pump
- cylinderhead revision with valves reseated, shims specced and new valvestem seals.

Sounds very nice :thumleft:

...and demonstrates exactly my point: you can make good NA power very easily if you are prepared to spend a lot of cash. If you'd spent the same amount on a 3SGTE how much power do you think you'd be making? 350bhp+?
synXero

Post by synXero »

Awesome mate, well done. You should do a build thread if you haven't. Lots of NA owners want these ideas.
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

You wanna run 300bhp from your n/a engine? Cheapest and fastest way is always gonna be forced induction but turbo and superchargers are a)quite expensive and b) take a lot of work.
£600 & 3 hours work can fix all of this

This was the back seat in my e36 316 running a 1.6 engine and 100 wet shot topping it all at 199bhp and returning 35-40mpg.

Problem solved 8)
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

shinny wrote:What's the difference in the quoted power claims between rev3 and rev5 NA... 4bhp? AFAIK that's just down to emissions tweaks. I'd be surprised is the cams are any different between the two engines and swapping the ECU will be rather problematic for the rev5's immobiliser!

Its about 10bhp I think. Why would the immobiliser be an issue if you are moving to an ECU without one? Cam information was put up on here some time ago and I am sure they were less agressive, more like the early revision cams which are pretty tame.
MR2DIE4

Post by MR2DIE4 »

ashley wrote:
MR2DIE4 wrote:finding power on the NA engine is not hard at all, everyone thinks so because everyone always say "buy a turbo".

- exh manifolds
- exhaust
- shaved the head
- arp headstuds
- apexi safc2

- Link G4 Storm ecu
- deatschwerks fuel pump
- adj fpr
kept the ACIS
- 264° cams
- uprated valve springs
- adj cam pulleys
- 5s oil pump

Sounds very nice :thumleft:

...and demonstrates exactly my point: you can make good NA power very easily if you are prepared to spend a lot of cash. If you'd spent the same amount on a 3SGTE how much power do you think you'd be making? 350bhp+?

if you did all these mods on a GTE with pistons, big turbo and big injectors, well, sky's the limit then....

i didn't want the easy route , i wanted NA response and poise. i had a build thread but that was years ago, started a business and could not update everyting because of time limits.

did all the work myself apart from the machining work.
very nice bonus with the increased compression and being NA is that the car is extremely low in fuel comsuption, around 8l cruising and 10l flooring it

www.st-autosport.com
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'd love big power NA as well, and totally agree with the approach you've taken, would love to do something similar myself one day.

Don't get me wrong- I've got LOADS of respect for what you've done, just making the point that the reason so many people go down the forced induction route is cos the gains per £ spent are so much bigger.

Nice build mate :thumleft:
MR2DIE4

Post by MR2DIE4 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ8hiNuJSQs

most pics of the build are here (build to 209hp)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 905&type=3

new build is still going :)
Laurens PNut

Post by Laurens PNut »

Awesome results and speclist, Tonny!
Alan_d

Post by Alan_d »

I got 192.4 ATF on my old Rev 1 with a port and polish, Stainless mani, straight to a mongoose backbox, induction kit, and a good dollop of advance.
MR2DIE4

Post by MR2DIE4 »

also good number :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”