Driving in snow

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

synXero

Re: Driving in snow

Post by synXero »

I believe rubber is generally rated to a certain minimum temperature, under which it hardens. I don't have any facts to back it up but I always suspected extended periods of cold will damage the rubber - i.e. four months sitting in frost?

Could be wrong.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Im thinking that the MR2 wasnt loving being sheathed in ice this morning. So much so, she didnt want to open the doors and let me in.

About 5mm of ice on the front windscreen that required some hacking at with the ice scraper and warm/hot ish water around the door seals and door handle managed to free this up a little...

How i need a heated garage.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Did anyone have ice on the inside of their windscreen this morning? I did...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
synXero

Post by synXero »

Thankfully not \:D/ Did on the outside, though...

Re frozen doors - I have recently learned that it is supposedly better to lean on them than use warm water. Not sure, seems it could do harm to the hinges maybe.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I used to prod round the edges of mine with the key :lol:

The internally frozen windscreen wasn't on an MR2 but my '2 used to do it as well!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Adam86 wrote:They are quite good because of the engine weight sat on the rear tyres. Especially up hills you'll be surprised.

I found the MR2 to be terrible in the snow.
However, I do feel that was purely down to tyres.
The tread pattern of the Toyo Proxes (let alone rubber compound) isn't well suited to snow.
chaos19810

Doors frozen stuck

Post by chaos19810 »

I put a little bit of washing up liquid around the seal and it only froze up the once, which was better than the year before when I could next get in
Harold

Post by Harold »

nickg07 wrote:Im thinking that the MR2 wasnt loving being sheathed in ice this morning. So much so, she didnt want to open the doors and let me in.

About 5mm of ice on the front windscreen that required some hacking at with the ice scraper and warm/hot ish water around the door seals and door handle managed to free this up a little...

How i need a heated garage.

Buy yourself a can of silicone spray lubricant and spray it around the door rubbers, hey presto no more frozen doors.
Marf

Post by Marf »

JohnnyC wrote:
Adam86 wrote:They are quite good because of the engine weight sat on the rear tyres. Especially up hills you'll be surprised.

I found the MR2 to be terrible in the snow.
However, I do feel that was purely down to tyres.
The tread pattern of the Toyo Proxes (let alone rubber compound) isn't well suited to snow.

I've heard this alot too, the weight being over the rear wheels I mean.

Hills were a nightmare in my MR2 in the snow, any incline and it'd get stuck.

If the logic followed about weight over the wheels, then FWD cars would never get stuck either.

When I switched to AD08s snow performance got marginally better, but I still did everything possible to avoid driving the car in the snow.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Marf wrote:
If the logic followed about weight over the wheels, then FWD cars would never get stuck either.

When I switched to AD08s snow performance got marginally better, but I still did everything possible to avoid driving the car in the snow.

Marf - it won't work in quite the same way with FWD/Front engine because of 2 reasons:

1) Weight transfer will be to the rear as you try and accelerate - taking it away from the front driven wheels.

2) The front wheels on a FWD/Front engined car have to both accelerate the car as well as steer it.

Last winter I found that my Mr2 has quite a bit more grip than my MX5 in the snow even when both have dedicated snow tyres as the MX5 is front engined/RWD.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Welp, all I knows is my golf was far easier to drive in the snow than my tubby ever was
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

kettle full of lukewarm water all over the door seals/windows every morning, job done,

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”