TRD thermostat for track use. Yes or No?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: TRD thermostat for track use. Yes or No?

Post by ashley »

Coolant logs no problem, mapping with two different stats? Not gonna happen :lol:
greeny

Post by greeny »

I run a trd stat in mine. Also helps to drag some heat out of the oil.

Why would they only map a base map on the engine dyno?

If it's been fully mapped on the engine dyno why do they then tweak it further? (Apart from coolant temp and inlet temp corrections?).
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
jon

Post by jon »

On the Rev 3 ECU, 82c is regarded as up to operating temperature, i.e. no extra fuel or raised idle.
ashley

Post by ashley »

greeny wrote:I run a trd stat in mine. Also helps to drag some heat out of the oil.

If it's been fully mapped on the engine dyno why do they then tweak it further? (Apart from coolant temp and inlet temp corrections?).

He fully maps the engines on the dyno (I shouldn't have written base map in my original post), mainly trying to get a nice linear response to throttle position. Then it's down to tweaking on the track in relation to how the different drivers want the cars to feel...as you say: I get the impression most of it is on the dyno before the engines go in the cars.

Have to say I don't know the full details, he's been sooo busy since he went to work there, we barely see him anymore. Very successful first season though, and a lot more responsibility for BTCC next year...the boys' done good 8)
Marf

Post by Marf »

greeny wrote:

1. coolant temp and inlet temp corrections

2. You can never fully simulate real world load on the engine on a dyno
greeny

Post by greeny »

ashley wrote:
greeny wrote:I run a trd stat in mine. Also helps to drag some heat out of the oil.

He fully maps the engines on the dyno (I shouldn't have written base map in my original post), mainly trying to get a nice linear response to throttle position. Then it's down to tweaking on the track in relation to how the different drivers want the cars to feel...as you say: I get the impression most of it is on the dyno before the engines go in the cars.

Have to say I don't know the full details, he's been sooo busy since he went to work there, we barely see him anymore. Very successful first season though, and a lot more responsibility for BTCC next year...the boys' done good 8)

Good stuff :thumleft:
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
greeny

Post by greeny »

Marf wrote:
greeny wrote:

1. coolant temp and inlet temp corrections

2. You can never fully simulate real world load on the engine on a dyno

Coolant temp and inlet temp offsets will be a 10min job for a decent mapper once in the car.

And on a roller dyno maybe. On an engine or hub dyno every point on the maps should be able to be hit, so regardless of what car the engine go's into it should be fine.

Although I'm certainly no expert so await to be corrected! :mrgreen:
Marf

Post by Marf »

It's not about hitting every point on the map. It's about the load on the engine.

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=4

Load may be higher or lower on the road when compared to a dyno, meaning the fuel/spark map will need to be tweaked.
greeny

Post by greeny »

As I say I'm not sure, but if every point on the maps has been tuned and reached on a hub or engine dyno then there's no other load points to tune?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Nevermind :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”