[Mk2] [NA] Subframe Captive Nuts

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AManInDandism

[Mk2] [NA] Subframe Captive Nuts

Post by AManInDandism »

I've got a Rev2 with two spinning subframe bolts. I'm going to cut holes in the chassis and weld the captive nuts. Where's the best place to cut? Both are on the passenger side.

The engine is out the car just now.

Cheers.
Shmed

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Subframe Captive Nuts

Post by Shmed »

If you weren't so far away you could've had my subframe. Sorry, nothing constructive to add :(
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
jimjams

Post by jimjams »

I cut mine in the inner rear arches and tacked the nits back in place, then welded the rear arch back up, remember and re-stoneguard it afterwards.
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

Shmed wrote:If you weren't so far away you could've had my subframe. Sorry, nothing constructive to add :(

The subframe is fine, it's the captive nuts inside the actual chassis that are broken.

jimjams wrote:I cut mine in the inner rear arches and tacked the nits back in place, then welded the rear arch back up, remember and re-stoneguard it afterwards.

Ok, so that's one for the wheel arches. Would this give access to both the front and rear nut?

Thanks for the replies.
jimjams

Post by jimjams »

Yeah I got to mine no bother! Just be careful where you cut! Make sure it's in line!

Return to “Mechanical”