Had a scare!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Had a scare!

Post by Ryan S »

glen n wrote:
sheppy wrote:
glen n wrote:My boost is controlled through my apexi commander,I just never set it to the lowest setting. I had thought about a different boost controller but I've got a load of things to buy for the car first

my controller is 2 buttons mate, high and low. even on low boost the car (as could any i guess) can still catch you out. for the sake of £80 i'd deffo give it some thought :)

Where did you get it from? Looks good inside the clock

from the link in my first post mate, i took the clock out and the dremmel and cut the old clock thingy to fit, a company in the UK called r-spec sell these controllers too for £135, i took a punt on the one in the link, after a bit of research, turns out they're made in the same factory and in fact are the same product just branded differently, comes with either 1 or 2 years warranty too.

glen n

Post by glen n »

When I was saying the car has been sitting it's maybe been 10 days to 2 weeks but it's been started inbetween. Ive swapped a load of parts since buying the car, all top mounts,shockers,drop links,front arb bushes,ball joints.

I definately want to polybush the car but would rather just pay someone to do it that has a ramp.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

This is why I loved the traction control on my first turbo. I had the light blinking on in the dry (car was stock) and in the snow it was the only car that could make it out of my drive.
glen n

Post by glen n »

Super_red wrote:This is why I loved the traction control on my first turbo. I had the light blinking on in the dry (car was stock) and in the snow it was the only car that could make it out of my drive.

I have traction control which usually gives me a blink of the light if I'm pushing it a bit too much but it never worked the other night,either that or I didn't notice it as I was too busy trying not to crash.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Ive driven mine for 15 -30 miles a day for the last two years. When wet and in winter time I just don't use any boost unless im going in a straight line ane I have space. Just not worth anything else.
glen n

Post by glen n »

I drive my transit jumbo every day where you just push the pedal and go,then jump in the mr2 and forget that I can't do that any more #-o
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I took my old car out for a quick run last winter. It was a dry day but really cold, so while the tyres were warm ish they weren't that warm. We had a few occasions where the car would light up the back end and pitch sideways, which wasn't fun 8-[ It went back in the garage after that and stayed there until it got warmer.

You come to appreciate that little flashing TC light on your daily after you've driven something with big power in less than ideal weather conditions. Saying that though, my new 1 Series is evil in the snow! The old ones were bad, however the wider and lower profiles rears on this one make it lethal in the snow. The TC fights against the grip you don't have, so getting going on the flat can be a challenge. I actually found it better to turn it all off and baby it everywhere.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

Magic Beans wrote: I actually found it better to turn it all off and baby it everywhere.

Same with all new cars. Girl at work had a BMW Mini and couldnt get it up the wee slope into the multi storey car park there in the heavy snow. Tried it myself for her and couldnt get it to go up the hill. No idea how to get the TC off on it so we just abandoned it. I then hopped in my 98 Civic at the time, drove straight up first time no slipping, no drama. Walked down the hill and told her to buy a real car lol

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”