Wiper switch repair help?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsporter

Wiper switch repair help?

Post by Tsporter »

I know nothing about this stuff. My wiper switch is faulty in my mk1, apparently they nearly all have this fault. So here's what I wanna do: http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/wipersw ... witch.html

I don't know what to solder when I get to step 7.

Should I join the seven line like this?

kaiowas

Re: Wiper switch repair help?

Post by kaiowas »

I've never seen this fault mentioned before so it can't be that common. A used replacement switch should cost you next to nothing and would be less faff than trying to fix one
jimi

Post by jimi »

It may be a common fault Stateside but it's very uncommon over here, if fact I've never come across a faulty one (and I've modified quite a few CLICKY :wink: )
Any way what you want to resolder is the 2 rows of soldered connections inside the red box, group of 6 and a group of 8. You can't join them the way you have shown, if you look at the other side you'll see they are wire links, you just need to resolder the connections.
What is the actual fault you are experiencing ?
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Ah ok, I stand corrected :-)

My car is an '87 SC. My intermittent setting doesn't work at all, and when i use the regular setting and turn them off, the wipers stop wherever they are when you turn them off. They don't return to the bottom. I have to time it to get them down...
HT

Post by HT »

Are you sure the stateside item is the same as the UK one. The photos show Hi, Lo, Int, Mist, Off settings. Pretty sure no mist setting on UK models:)
jimi

Post by jimi »

We (UK) don't have a mist setting, but the connections to resolder are the same, also the OP has a SC which may well have the Mist setting. Possibly it's only the switches with the extra setting that are prone to problems. This is a UK one

Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Quick update:- Today i followed the guide in my first post and I'm pleased to report my wipers are working perfectly now.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Excellent, good result :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”