Any engine experts out there.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mavros

Any engine experts out there.

Post by Mavros »

The saga of my engine rebuild continues!
Upon stripping my engine I am currently stuck on which size bearings to order. The big end bearings are supposed to be marked with a number next to the anti rotation tab, nothing on mine except the same serial no. 9f25a on the other end. Is this a Toyota number or aftermarket?
I have read Tom Dykes excellent article regarding bearing sizes being stamped on the block, mine has nothing! Is it just a case of Plastiguaging everything to determine the bearing sizes?
Finally, as everything is in pieces on the garage floor is there anything else I should be changing during the rebuild?
PS I've left a message with Tom but no answer, so if anyone else can help please pipe up.
SuperRedMR2

Re: Any engine experts out there.

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I recently rebuilt mine and to be honest I didn't know there were no's on the bearings. I bought all new Clevite bearings as well as thrust washers and had no issues.

I replaced everything apart from the oil pump - I did replace all the bolts on the bottom end as well.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Tom is on business in Japan at the moment so might not get back you you for a while.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

The numbers on the block may be covered by leftover sealant from the sump and can be difficult to see, they should be there.

Do you have a toyota manual to hand it gives a good guide to working out which bearings you need.

Chris
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The numbers will definitely be there. Look harder :D
jimi

Post by jimi »

Mavros

Post by Mavros »

I've now dropped the engine so I may as well strip it right down. - just to re-iterate, the numbers are definitely not there. My guess is it's been rebuilt once before and the numbers were removed to avoid confusion in the future. Has anyone got a set of genuine Toyota bearings lying around? If so could you tell me if there is a serial number stamped on them. Paul at Macclesfield thinks they may be genuine but he's not sure.
As I 've gone this far I may as well change the water and oil pumps along with all the other stuff. Thanks for the feedback guys. :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”