Car cut out on me and won't restart - fueling issue?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PsychomIKE

Car cut out on me and won't restart - fueling issue?

Post by PsychomIKE »

Hi, car has been running fine recently but just after I set off the other day it cut out on me. Thought it was a bit odd but started up ok so I carried on only to happen again. The third time it happened it didn't restart and is now stranded, albeit on a quiet residential road.

Any suggestions of what to check? There's an indicated half a tank of fuel left in it and I can hear fuel slosh about if I rock the car so I've not had a fuel leak. I've sprayed WD40 over the electrics as it's been very damp recently. Perhaps a failed fuel pump or an airlock somehow?

Help please :pray:

Oh, I should say I've got a 3SGE in my mk1 courtesy of Woodsport

Cheers
3sgte

Re: Car cut out on me and won't restart - fueling issue?

Post by 3sgte »

Check around the ignition coil for cracks or rust Very common for rust on the metal bracket of the coil to blow the side out of the coil and then the spark just shorts out to ground .
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

First thing is to check for error codes, then see if it has a spark, after that ring me and i'll talk you through any further diagnostics.

I did that one in 2008 if i remember right, but i'm always here to help.
michaeljapp

Post by michaeljapp »

If its any help mine broke down with very similar symptoms and it turned out to be the fuel pump relay.

I'm sure Paul will help you out.
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

Thanks guys. I've just tried running diagnostics for error codes (with a very low battery!) and it just blinks as though it hasn't detected any errors. Tried in test mode and that's the same but blinks much quicker. Is that normal?

I haven't gotten around to inspecting anything else yet and it's now dark and p1$$ing down!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes it sounds like there are no codes stored, so all good there.

The coilpack/amp units on the 3s-ge are a common problem, they often mean lack of spark, so i think a spark test is next, you really need to get the car in the dry and battery fully charged.
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

Cheers Paul, arranged to pick up a trickle charger from my Dad tomorrow to get the battery charged up again but then I'm away with work for a few days. Will report back when I can.

Thanks for the help :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

If it does turn out to be the usual coilpack issue i have loads of them here, i'll send you one free, but i'll need to know the part number of yours.

Let's see if it still has a spark first, might be a fuel or mechanical issue, at this stage i'm just guessing without clues.
PsychomIKE

Post by PsychomIKE »

Well after fully charging the battery she fired up and was running ok for 5-10 minutes. Not looking forward to risking it on a 25mile commute to work though :pray:

The worst thing is some idiots decided to break off the wing mirrors of a few cars along the road it was parked on. The drivers side one is knackered now :(
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

A possible charging/alternator issue then maybe?

With the engine running and no battery charger attached measure the voltage at the battery, should be 13.5-14.5v with all electrics/lights off.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”