Twosrus Tie Rods

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Twosrus Tie Rods

Post by Peter Gidden »

T.F.S. wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:Looks like M10 mild steel studding that has snapped, not really much of a surprise on a load bearing part like that.

9/10 for effort, 1/10 for accuracy. :roll:

1) No mild steel is involved.
2) Loads exerted on track rods and tie bars are in line with their centrelines, not about them.

Looks like cheap mild steel to me, I can tell there is bad attitude from you over this Peter but lets be honest here mate, you know all about selling cheap parts where drop links are concerned, a lot of people on the site including myself paid £70 for your links only to find they were bits of mild steel studding with £1.75 mcgill ends that were totally unsuitable.

I give you 9/10 for ripping people off right there.

Since you've taken the thread off topic i'll answer you diretly so we can get back on topic.

As for my droplinks - yep they were cheap - less than half of Toyota's price. As for the componet parts, stainless bar (i have purchased 9/16UNF threaded mild steel bar) and Aurora rod ends. A quick check on my accounts system shows 1146 pairs sold, and (disregarding the time interval between sale and return), a total of 28 returns in a 4 year period. That's a 2.4% return rate.

So, back on topic. :roll:

Sorry if it looks like mild steel to you, but i can assure you they are stainless.

As for crappy replies, i think it was you that stated the tie bars were mild steel when they are not, and it was you who needs to brush up on his knowledge regarding forces and their effects.

Schools use pictures because it makes learning easier and more interesting, so here's a picture for you:

Bottom line is these tie bars have not failed under normal operating conditions. None of these tie bars have ever failed under normal operating conditions.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

T.F.S. wrote:I see you avoided the question.

In the same way you're avoiding the indisputable evidence of how and why the rods have actually failed and instead blaming material quality? They aren't under the torsional loads you suggest they have suffered on the car, end of.

Your obvious agenda with Peter and or his products is irrelevant to this thread.

:thumleft:
stenky

Post by stenky »

Just a thought: IF the damage had been caused by overtightening the lock nut, wouldn't the stud break between the rose joint and locknut itself?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yep, i made this point earlier, therefore it's fairly safe to assume the break has occured with someone turning the hex bar.
stenky

Post by stenky »

ah, didn't read properly :oops:
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Quote from email received today from David at twosrus.com who was made aware of this thread late last night:

Reviewing the thread this morning, it seems that you and Paul have a handle on the situation.

I just spoke with my machine company and they agree that it appears the bar was overtorqued during installation or adjustment, most likely with the jam nut not backed off. The spiral nature of the fracture and direction of the spiral back that up.

As for some of the other comments, here is some more information: The rods are made of 303 Stainless and the rose joint is a 303 passivated stainless body with 440C heat treated stainless ball and Teflon lining. The only mild parts used are the jam nuts and spacers. The lock washers are even 18-8 Stainless.

So it would seem we can put other users' minds of these bars at rest and put the issue down to an error by the owner or other 3rd party.

My thanks to David for the instant support received. It's not often a retailer contacts the manufacturer of a product and reports back within one working day.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

TFS, i think you owe Peter an apology or at the very least retract the attacks made on him and his products.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

PW@Woodsport wrote:TFS, i think you owe Peter an apology or at the very least retract the attacks made on him and his products.

jonnie m

barny

Post by jonnie m »

this is great,its like engineering ping pong using a hand grenade instead of a ball. bat it back son, bat it back!
Peter Gidden

Re: barny

Post by Peter Gidden »

jonnie m wrote:this is great,its like engineering ping pong using a hand grenade instead of a ball. bat it back son, bat it back!

Well thankfully the issue has been sorted, but i'm pleased we've been able to keep you entertained. :thumleft:

:lol:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

PW@Woodsport wrote:TFS, i think you owe Peter an apology or at the very least retract the attacks made on him and his products.

Ha are you kidding me, the garbage links he sold me and a load of other people on here...He is the one that should be saying sorry.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

T.F.S. wrote:

Ha are you kidding me, the garbage links he sold me and a load of other people on here...He is the one that should be saying sorry.

Paul. You're wasting your time.

He's not going to apologise for his rubbish statements and accusations relating to this thread.

Obviously he didn't like the droplinks i sold him back in 2009/10, but hey, guess what, he makes droplinks.

Quite what droplinks have to do with this thread, i have no idea. :?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I was discussing substandard suspension parts, yes you were actually the reason I started selling them, the ones I bought from you were knocking after a few weeks so I thought I would change the ends.

I went to buy new ones and was horrified, you had not even bothered to fit the £4 ends that were even remotely useable as droplink ends, you had fitted the cheapest end possible that had no chance of lasting more than a few weeks.

I then peeled back the red covering to find they were fitted to mild steel studding, adding up the price of the parts i wasn't surprised to find the whole lot came to about £8.

They were not cheap either, a lot of us paid £70 for those ends because we thought we could trust you to send us reasonable quality parts not send us the cheapest parts you could.

Now I supply links as a result, they cost less than £70, a lot less and they are much higher quality that will last years.

I'll give you an apology when you give me my money back.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

T.F.S. wrote:I was discussing substandard suspension parts.

And the rest of the posters in this thread were discussing the consequences of not slacking off lock nuts before adjusting tie bars. ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”