mk2 turbo - flat battery - heavy duty options?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

mk2 turbo - flat battery - heavy duty options?

Post by raptor95GTS »

I only use the car at weekends so it sits for a week with alarm on. Did some digging and folks on here were talking about Calcium batteries being better for cars left standing for a bit.

Choices are the Halfords Calcium Battery HCB005 which is 95quid 10quid more than the Lead Acid one, anyone here have any experience of them?

I know eurocarparts have Exide Battery (Premium Battery 005 4 Year Guarantee) at 78quid or the Bosch Battery (S4 Battery 005 4 Year Guarantee) 65quid so do I just get the Bosch one and save my 30quid?
T.F.S.

Re: mk2 turbo - flat battery - heavy duty options?

Post by T.F.S. »

I have a nearly new Halfords calcium one for sale if you are interested, I can do it for £75 delivered, it only just fits in the hole and is the largest you can get in there!
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
cosmos

Battery

Post by cosmos »

Bosche Silver 005 calcium technology here, might need to mod/pack the clamp, halfords own calcium battery looked taller from memory. Try CAS Central Auto Services perhaps for price, or yes 4year warranty at Halfords (discount card?).

ATB Rob.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

T.F.S. wrote:I have a nearly new Halfords calcium one for sale if you are interested, I can do it for £75 delivered, it only just fits in the hole and is the largest you can get in there!

thanks but I'd rather have a new battery from source for the warranty side of things. these things dont normally transfer to another person but thanks for the offer.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

raptor95GTS wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:I have a nearly new Halfords calcium one for sale if you are interested, I can do it for £75 delivered, it only just fits in the hole and is the largest you can get in there!

thanks but I'd rather have a new battery from source for the warranty side of things. these things dont normally transfer to another person but thanks for the offer.

I paid cash, warrenty is transferable.
shinny

Post by shinny »

raptor95GTS wrote:Choices are the Halfords Calcium Battery HCB005 which is 95quid 10quid more than the Lead Acid one, anyone here have any experience of them?

I installed one of those when I needed a new battery... lasted about 3 years before getting replaced under warranty about 10 months ago and the replacement is not holding charge even for 24hrs at the moment :(
Krish

Post by Krish »

I bought a Bosch S4 battery when I had the turbo conversion done. Car sat for 3 months and battery died, just got a replacement one under warranty no questions asked.

Here's the place I got it from on ebay. They have a discount on at the moment - £63.59 delivered!

click

HTH
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

The Halfords calcium batteries work well and they do honour the warranty - you just take it back if it fails with the receipt and pick another up once they've tested it.

It's one reason I still buy some car stuff from there. Although it's generally not the cheapest place to pick things up, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of being able to drive there directly :D
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

haha, yes Halfords are pretty good for that except of course when you can't actually get the car started to drive there! Don't have jump leads and due to the stupid parking setup where I stay, cannot get access to parking bay next to mine to set up jump leads to another car. Gotta love on street parking
shinny

Post by shinny »

Kongaroo wrote:The Halfords calcium batteries work well and they do honour the warranty - you just take it back if it fails with the receipt and pick another up once they've tested it.

I lost the receipt for mine, so they were through the system and found my original payment and still honoured the warranty. :thumleft:
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Anyone used this battery or this company?

http://thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-6 ... 8558-p.asp

I have used the bosch silver one reffered to and can't say for sure whether it was the age of the battery or my car alarm sucking the life out of it. Either way I wasn't able to leave my car for more than a few weeks without it draining.

As such I'm looking at the Yuasa (which I had a cheapie in the car when I bought it and thought it was crap...). I've read comments that this is a good reliable brand. Presumably being a silver and with a higher Amp nd CCA rating than required that should mean I'm covered for long periods of non-use and cold, cold day starts?

Going to get this for my Civic as well from this place as Halfrauds want's £90 for it whereas this place is £55 (+£10 del).

Opinions?

BTW, I'm basing my view of increasing the power rating on a few responses from TonyLeFrong on threads over on the OC. Since he's MR2 through and through I take his knowledge on board.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

cosmos

Battery

Post by cosmos »

Bosche silver S5, Bosche blue S4, Yuasa silver looks good, and a most important consideration particularly an MR2 battery is the lifting handle!. Halfords twin flexi handles not great for battery extraction!
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

shinny wrote:
Kongaroo wrote:The Halfords calcium batteries work well and they do honour the warranty - you just take it back if it fails with the receipt and pick another up once they've tested it.

I lost the receipt for mine, so they were through the system and found my original payment and still honoured the warranty. :thumleft:

Basically if it is a Halford's battery and its faulty it will be replaced without a receipt.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
shinny

Post by shinny »

madbasshunter wrote:
shinny wrote:

Basically if it is a Halford's battery and its faulty it will be replaced without a receipt.

Not so simple... I needed to show which store I bought it from and when so they could find me on the system.

I actually had it replaced a second time in December. So I'm not convinced by the quality of their batteries but at least I've now had three of them!
JD

Post by JD »

T.F.S. wrote:I can do it for £75 delivered, it only just fits in the hole and is the largest you can get in there!

*snigger*
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

:)
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I've got a Toyota one in mine and doesn't get used for a week or 2 at a time and always starts straight away. Think it was about 60 quid from my local dealer. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I got a bosch blue top on mine and I can leave for 3 weeks with alarm on and she'll start right \:D/
synXero

Post by synXero »

MR2 Rich wrote:I've got a Toyota one in mine and doesn't get used for a week or 2 at a time and always starts straight away. Think it was about 60 quid from my local dealer. :thumleft:

Always had Toyota, never had a flat.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”