Excessive engine bay temps.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

millentubby

Excessive engine bay temps.

Post by millentubby »

Hi All,

I've recently put a Rev3 Turbo engine into my Rev5 NA shell.

On the first few shakedown runs I'm a bit alarmed by the temperature in the engine bay.

I'm running a 3" decat, standard turbo, ASBO-spec Imotoria (on the hunt for something much quieter!) and standard pressures.

I've kept the stock turbo/manifold heatshield and have ordered some exhaust heat-wrap to help reduce the heatsoak from the downpipe. I'm also in the process of sourcing a turbo engine lid to help with cooling. The IC fan works as it should.

Anyone got any other tips that I can use to help reduce the temps? The NA engine lid is almost too hot to touch after 20 minutes of driving in normal town traffic.
ashley

Re: Excessive engine bay temps.

Post by ashley »

Turbo engine lid will help, as will a pair of engine lid fans :thumleft: :thumleft:
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Is the spal fan working?
I have the same conversion on an NA lid and no issues.
I don't believe you need a turbo lid.
You can fit a single fan in the na lid if you really need to.
Someone on here has done this.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

I've read up on the lid fan kits and I'm not convinced after reviewing the numbers.

Herts66 - have you removed the sound-deadening material from the underside of the NA lid? Also are you running stock cat/downpipe with heat shield?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

millentubby wrote:Hi All,

I've recently put a Rev3 Turbo engine into my Rev5 NA shell.

On the first few shakedown runs I'm a bit alarmed by the temperature in the engine bay.

I'm running a 3" decat, standard turbo, ASBO-spec Imotoria (on the hunt for something much quieter!) and standard pressures.

I've kept the stock turbo/manifold heatshield and have ordered some exhaust heat-wrap to help reduce the heatsoak from the downpipe. I'm also in the process of sourcing a turbo engine lid to help with cooling. The IC fan works as it should.

Anyone got any other tips that I can use to help reduce the temps? The NA engine lid is almost too hot to touch after 20 minutes of driving in normal town traffic.

How do you know the temps are excessive?

With a turbo engine lid your engine bat will be no different to 1000s of other near-identical cars.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Fair point Peter- to me they're excessive as the NA lid above the turbo is almost too hot to touch and you can see the heat radiating off it. Is that normal?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

millentubby wrote:Is that normal?

Yep. Sounds normal to me.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
millentubby wrote:Is that normal?

Yep. Sounds normal to me.

Normal to me mate :thumleft:

I'll have my car at work some day this week and you can see the heat if you dont believe.....
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Updated IC, stock down pipe etc on mine with cat removed.
Sound insulation still on underside of the lid.
Not seeing a problem on mine.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Difference is a turbo engine lid is fiberglass not metal, so won't be too hot to touch :eye:
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

ashley wrote:Difference is a turbo engine lid is fiberglass not metal, so won't be too hot to touch :eye:

Also when you combine engine lid fans on a turbo lid, the turbo lid having raised grills has the effect of directing heat pulled out by the fans, to the rear of the car even when standing.

You can see this more so at standstill when it's raining and the rain is pushed away!

So when your driving your 2, the heat is already being pushed away is made easier as drag helps this further :thumleft:

Hence why for me personally, the phoenix power engine lid directs this further with the engine bay fans, such that when you stand behind the 2 on standing it feels like a hair dryer!! :lol:
mrspete

Post by mrspete »

When I fitted a Turbo Kit into my MK3 had the same problem, I then had the Greddy remapped and they put a racing thermostat in to reduce the temperature then my problem was solved
Dont know if it would work in your case but worth looking into
http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/toyota-racin ... stats.html

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”