Low oil pressure at idle + possibly sticky caliper

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adaz

Low oil pressure at idle + possibly sticky caliper

Post by adaz »

It happened second time now and I'm a bit concerned... Well, usually the oil pressure on idle stays at 2 bar but after a fairly short but spirited run the oil pressure drops to about 1 - 1.5 bar while the oil temp is at around 100 - 110°C then it's back to normal after a few minutes of normal driving.

Is this something that I should be worried about? I don't think this happened before though.

Another thing is the front left caliper - I can smell the brakes quite often and after 30 minutes of driving the wheel was really hot. Last time I could even see some smoke coming out from that caliper. Does it sound like a sticky caliper or should I be worried?

Also, is it something I could try to fix myself or should I just buy new calipers?
shinny

Re: Low oil pressure at idle + possibly sticky caliper

Post by shinny »

Oil pressure is a function of oil temperature and engine speed. At 800rpm idle and with 110ºC hot oil, 1.5 bar isn't unusual. What oil are you using? A thin grade oil and / or old mineral oil could easily explain pressure creeping a little lower.

Also, where are the sensors for both readings? Your pressure is a little lower than I'd expect ming to be, but I'm measuring both at the sandwich plate. If you're measuring temperature at the sump and pressure at the oil gallery then that would explain the difference between what I'd expect on my car and what you seen on yours.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”