Just got a SC! Few questions... :-)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsporter

Just got a SC! Few questions... :-)

Post by Tsporter »

Hi guys I just picked up an 87 SC. It's a Tintop with windy windows, no side skirts and came with no spoiler apparently( one fitted now) all from the factory apparently. Extremely happy with her so far but have a few noob questions. If anyone has more information on this factory model I'd love to hear it....seems rare.

Here she is:

- What grade of oil and spark plugs are recommended?

- The boot has some black gunk in the bottom below the ECU, what causes that?

What else would you look at for the first service? Ill give the coolant a flush and the brakes a look over. Timing belt was done.

Cheers

Edit:- I found the SC oil dipstick and the level is fine.
Last edited by Tsporter on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Just got a SC! Few questions... :-)

Post by toxo »

Can't help you but that's a fine looking car.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

NOT Factory,

looks like a car done by a member on here or perhaps the mk1 club, two or three years ago, if is the same car, you are very lucky, if I remember right it was very well done and the work carried out was done to a good standard.

More pics would help.

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

oukie wrote:NOT Factory,

looks like a car done by a member on here or perhaps the mk1 club, two or three years ago, if is the same car, you are very lucky, if I remember right it was very well done and the work carried out was done to a good standard.

More pics would help.

Chris

Car came here to Ireland from Japan in 2007 I believe. It is originally mica blue. Other than that, I'm looking for info! :-)
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Anyone got a part number for a fuel filter?

I'm going with 90915-YZZJ2 for the oil filter...

Part numbers for spark plugs would be great to!?
coanda

Post by coanda »

oukie wrote:NOT Factory,

More pics would help.

Chris

Seems to be a copy of Chris' - his is a T-bar NA with white pin striping over the black.

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Oil filter is the same as pretty much every other Toyota. They all use a generic one. Easily and cheaply available from Toyota. There is a short one nad a longer one, you could go for the longer one but either will suffice.

Spark plugs need to be colder than standard due to the SC. Is it on a stock pulley?

If it was me I'd go to Toyota and get the appropriate platinum plugs for it. Chassis code should reap the details they need if you have a decent dealer. Price about £60 or so for a set.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Lauren wrote:Oil filter is the same as pretty much every other Toyota. They all use a generic one. Easily and cheaply available from Toyota. There is a short one nad a longer one, you could go for the longer one but either will suffice.

Spark plugs need to be colder than standard due to the SC. Is it on a stock pulley?

If it was me I'd go to Toyota and get the appropriate platinum plugs for it. Chassis code should reap the details they need if you have a decent dealer. Price about £60 or so for a set.

Thanks Lauren, yeah it's a standard pulley. Surely decent plugs could be gotten cheaper than that? Are they the same for the NA ?

Also where would I get a new drivers window rubber? Is it breakers only or do they do new ones?

P.s. I've been reading your posts for a long time and find them v helpful :thumleft: :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well you just use copper NGK's. PCP7ES or PCP6ES, Mark said he can't remember! Which ones, sorry!

I prefer to use the correct OEM ones which will be platinum Denso plugs.

NA use a different heat range.

You could try Toyota for a new rubber, no idea if they will have any though. Don't know till you ask I guess.

I must admit, though I'm fastidious when it comes to using OEM parts whenever possible with my AE86, whatever the cost.

Send me a PM if you want access to the SC forum. :+:

Edit: NGK BCPR6EY-11 are the ones you want.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Cool thanks, ill head into Toyota first to see what they have...I think she deserves the best! :-)

Yeah cool ill pm you now, didn't realise there was an SC forum.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”