Nankang NS-II's

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ricardos

Re: Nankang NS-II's

Post by Ricardos »

RedMR² wrote:I personally like Falken tyres. :thumleft:

Yep, my second set rear tyres now. Very pleased with the grip in wet and dry conditions. FK453 :thumleft:
Ricardos

Post by Ricardos »

RedMR² wrote:I personally like Falken tyres. :thumleft:

Yep, my second set rear tyres now. Very pleased with the grip in wet and dry conditions. FK453 :thumleft:
david123

Post by david123 »

nankangs aka ditch finders! :D
andy585

Post by andy585 »

had nangkangs on my rev2 a few years back no grip at all avoid i have used the falkens and seem to be a good all rounder
JJ

Post by JJ »

Why has nobody mentioned the Michelin Pilot sport range ?!? Or even Continental Sport Contact ??!

My MR2 I always swore by Good Year F1's.. but I've now found both Continental and Michelins are up there...

My M5 has 305's on the rears... Michelin Pilot sport 2's on, N2 compound... and its like a 4wd now ! :thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Donato

Post by Donato »

JJ wrote:Why has nobody mentioned the Michelin Pilot sport range ?!? Or even Continental Sport Contact ??!

My MR2 I always swore by Good Year F1's.. but I've now found both Continental and Michelins are up there...

My M5 has 305's on the rears... Michelin Pilot sport 2's on, N2 compound... and its like a 4wd now ! :thumleft:

I had Michelen Pilot Sport PE2's on my old car. They are possibly the best tyres i've come across, in rain or dry they just gripped. I've had Nankand NS2's, Yokohama Parada Spec 2's Toyot T1-R's and a couple of other budgets. However, i think they are limited to 15'' & 16". I believe that the PE3's are for 17" +
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

had many brands of tyres,
i think that hankook v12 evos are superior over falkens and toyos and many others.
I found p-zeros are better than the uniroyals in the wet and certainly in the dry.
don't like continentals, replaced sport contacts with goodyear f1s and its a massive improvement though the f1s squeal quite a bit in the corners :twisted:
ravelloracing

Post by ravelloracing »

Had my first sideways moment tonight. Soaking wet roundabout with puddles and too be totally by surprise when the back came straight round at a ridiculously low speed (about 20 mph!)
I certainly wasn't expecting such a moment at that speed. Mine's a rev 3 auto N/A,and it was as I touched the throttle very lightly to come off the roundabout.
My rear tyres are down to only a couple of mm's,and are Michelins.
I took delivery of a full set of new Dunlop SP sports this week,just haven't had time to get them fitted yet.
Anyone else any expeperience of the SP's on their mk2?
I bough hese as the tyre size mine runs on its Supra wheels left me with these as the only option to match front and rear.
245/45/Zr16 rear
205/50/ZR16 front
ashley

Post by ashley »

LOL- sounds like my first "moment": approaching a roundabout intended to go straight on but the back end had other ideas and I quickly ended up going all the way round the roundabout...both myself and my passenger were in hysterics which seemed to really confuse the lady waiting at the exit thinking I was going straight on :mrgreen:
ravelloracing

Post by ravelloracing »

Yeah, would be laughing if I was playing about,but pottering home after a long day at work it caught me out big time as I really didn't think it would go at that speed when I really was driving
Ikeban old granny!
I'm sure it must just be my tyres ciao bend with the box changing,as I slowed to 10moh up the road after and just put my foot down to half throttle and just got a mass of wheelspin - the Michelin's must be pretty xxxx,and shagged too.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I wasn't playing either, we were pootling on our way to somewhere- caught me totally by surprise. Further examination and my rear tyres were almost down to the flats...I changed them pretty quick after that :mrgreen:
ravelloracing

Post by ravelloracing »

Yeah,I think fitting the new tyres has become a priority now!
It's mt first experience of this in years,and a far cry from my mx5 on Falkens which I'd still hammer about in wet or dry with no issues.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I just came from an MX5 with Toyos all round. Its a whole different ballgame. Your MR2 WILL try and kill you if you don't respect her. My yellow REV3 tried it with me 5 years ago. I came out unscathed, she unfortunately didn't.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

That's because the MX5s don't have that much power so you can get away with putting the foot down more without worrying so much about losing traction when you are already rolling :D (not slagging them off btw - just what I found with my own 150 BHP turbo'd mk1 MX5)

I've been trying a winter tyre on the rear of the tubby this last year or so - the Falken HS439. Worked well in the snow and I used it for the last 2 winters with no problems. This year I had very little spare time so never got around to changing back to my summer tyres (usually R888s) and I kept the Falkens on all through the year.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the dry grip was - it seemed to improve as the tread wore down below the 50% range. Now I am near the wear indicators and we are about to hit winter so I think I will order another pair in 255/40/17 - £122 a tyre from mytyres.co.uk so pretty reasonable I think :mrgreen:

EDIT - I forgot to ask how you are finding the Nankang NS2s? They actually have quite a number of positive reviews as well as bad ones. Would be good to hear some feedback from the OP!
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

In all honesty I'm not pushing the car at all because I am very wary. I've been on the receiving end of an MR2 rear kick before and it wasn't pleasant. In reality though they haven't given me any grief. They seem to grip OK and don't wheelspin at all. The compound doesn't seem to be too hard at all and the tread pattern is similar to more expensive tyres.

That said, I'd rather pay double the price for top range tyres than see my car in a hedge. Shame really, because the NS-2's are almost new.

I'm on my fifth MR2 now, turbos and N/As. And if there's one thing I've learnt is that the most important safety feature on any car is the tyres. Moreso on a rear wheel drive.
ravelloracing

Post by ravelloracing »

Full set of new Dumlop SP's fitted yesterday,and the difference is staggering. Not only has the grip issue f
Gone at the rear,(and it's rained gphere lot today),but the steering feels so much better than with the Toyo Proxes I had on the front,and it's so much more stable under braking.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

How much did you pay for the dunlops per corner mate?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

ravelloracing wrote:Had my first sideways moment tonight. Soaking wet roundabout with puddles and too be totally by surprise when the back came straight round at a ridiculously low speed (about 20 mph!)
I certainly wasn't expecting such a moment at that speed. Mine's a rev 3 auto N/A,and it was as I touched the throttle very lightly to come off the roundabout.
My rear tyres are down to only a couple of mm's,and are Michelins.
I took delivery of a full set of new Dunlop SP sports this week,just haven't had time to get them fitted yet.
Anyone else any expeperience of the SP's on their mk2?
I bough hese as the tyre size mine runs on its Supra wheels left me with these as the only option to match front and rear.
245/45/Zr16 rear
205/50/ZR16 front

I did a simmilar thing with my old car, came off a roundabout not even on boost one wheel went into a large drain cover and the thing just did a total 360. Dont think I even got up to 20mph, the roads were damp and the rear tyres had around 3mm tread left.

Now I always change the rears once they reach 3mm, I remember last time I got the contis on the rear down to that the car would wheelspin in 3rd in the wet with not much provocation. Not buying contis again, they felt worse allround than toyo/falken/goodyear/bridgestone and still managed to cost more.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Drain cover is how I wrote off my old rev3. Wasn't going very fast at all but it like slick as ice with a little rain water on it.

Who the hell puts drain covers on corners anyway!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

GHOST wrote:Drain cover is how I wrote off my old rev3. Wasn't going very fast at all but it like slick as ice with a little rain water on it.

Who the hell puts drain covers on corners anyway!

Funny thing is the car was practically straight, what didnt help was the stupidly stiff ohlins shocks and springs I had on the car at the time and the drain cover being so bloody deep.

By the time I started counter steering the car had already spun 180, ended up putting 2 feet down and managed to bring it to a halt facing the right way.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”